Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips on what i need again (drivers etc) after formatting HD

• 02-02-2004 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

so i bought a new motherboard (abit IS7-E) and graphics card (radeon 9600 pro) and i had no idea that i'd have to re-install windows all over again. seeing as i'm about to format and lose all those "wonderful" XP internet updates i ask you learned ones to help me out if you can. does it really matter that i lose these? and seein as i'm about to use a friend's HD to store some stuff would it be better to find and copy those updates, if that's possible? and any other info that you would think applies to a novice in this situation would help! cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

and any other info that you would think applies to a novice in this situation would help! cheers

Have just built my first pc recently so heres some thoughts from a definite non expert.

If your hard drive is partitioned you will only have to format the c drive so you could keep the stuff you want to keep on another partition without having to go near a friend's machine.

On reinstalling XP you will probably have to reactivate it as you have changed the motherboard. This can be a painless process sometimes it will just happen as you connect to the internet other times you have to ring them and get a new serial number for windows from them (Microsoft that is) I found it a monumental pain so be warned on that.

Its best to keep windows as up to date as possible so you will be better off downloading all those updates for XP again. If you have broadband its not too much of a problem but if you havent then ugh....

there is a way of downloading the updates for xp and keeping them seperate so that you will have them for next time maybe somebody on here will tell you how.

You will also need drivers for everything you have previously installed so again its a search for the cds or another visit to the net.

Good luck with it hope it goes well for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,653 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by the raven
    so i bought a new motherboard (abit IS7-E) and graphics card (radeon 9600 pro) and i had no idea that i'd have to re-install windows all over again

You don't :cool:

There's a registry hack / merge that lets you do this. Was posted here recently so search here and on google for details.

In fact did you try and switch it on? Mine surprisingly enough worked without any changes and that was coming from an AMD based board going to an Intel one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

well there's a reason why they have the patches... 1) keeping your computer as secure as possable (despite the fact it's windows) 2) making your computer work and fixes those little bugs that do get on your nevers,... like windows crashing every 2mins!

Advertisement