Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explosions in the sky.

Options
  • 02-02-2004 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Apparently from Texas.

Apparently quality.

Apparently playing this Wednesday.

Apparently in the Hub.

Apparently...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Just like the way you apparently have no Canadian cousins, yea? ;)
    xm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

should be a good, and apparently loud, show.
    only have the album a mere number of hours so none of the
    tracks have really grabbed me yet,
    but it plods along dreamily.
    i might be more enthusiastic after wednesday night!

as every article has said, if mogwai/godspeed is your thing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

"the earth is not a cold dead place" is an absolute cracker of an album.. well worth a purchase.. and the gig should be excellent, apart from the crappy venue, but i'll live with that (thank god its not the village!) .. they sit somewhere right in the middle of the mogwai & godspeed comparison.. not quite as languid as godspeed and not as short and frenetic as mogwai :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 loveonautocue

eits are quite excellent, i've been emailing them asking them to play dublin for the last three years so i'm delighted they finally are! last time they played here (about a year and a half ago, in a pub in limerick...) i was just about ready to kidnap the baby i was au pairing on the train with me so i could go see them. less insane measures will be required tomorrow, thankfully :)

(if you can get your hands on a copy, their second and first albums are worth a listen too, though not quite as good as 'the earth is not...')

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

i've only heard of explosions in the sky very recently but on hearing some of their music i went on a search for their albums and when i got them i certainly wasn't dissappointed in the least. The albums went beyond expectation, so missing their gig last night would have been unthinkable.

One of the things that i love about certain music is its ability to make you feel and eits have that ability in spades. eits play instrumental rock at its most poignant and moving, its instrumental because to me there is no need for words, the music is far more eloquent than ever words could be.

eits adhere to the quiet/loud/quiet mantra which works extremely well, each song is a journey of highs and lows, slow build-ups and crescendos of sound, with no disparate sounds entering the orchestrated beauty of the music.

eits also have the ability it seems to embue all their music with a bitter-sweet beauty, it's a beauty tinged though, like all real beauty, with a hint of sorrow. This is, for me, the greatest attraction with their work in that it simply moves me, and is some of the most involving music i have had the pleasure to discover lately.

Live they are that much better, bringing a dynamic and energy to their music which can only come from playing live. I only have two small complaints regarding the gig itself, the first being that they could have been (and i would have prefered them to be) louder but this didnt really detract from the music. The second being that it was too short for my liking, just about an hour really but then all good gigs are too short.

Im not even going to make the comparisons to other bands they are commonly grouped with, i'll just say that should you love music then you must listen to eits[1].

All in all, it was a throughly enjoyable gig and i'll be looking forward to the next time they greet these shores, i shall certainly be there. In the meantime i highly recommend eits to one and all.

1. This is not entirely true and in fact is entirely untrue but that is how much i think you should all give them a listen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement