Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EJ14

• 02-02-2004 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

ITV have a "world exclusive" photo of the EJ14 on their website[ITV-F1 ] Its interesting to note that the B&H logo is now a small one on the nose cone, while Trust (Jos sponsor??) now occupies a portion of the side of the car. This mean things are still not finalised?

I also notice what seems to be a green shamrock on the side pod beside a logo from Lazarus (who they?)

Mike

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Oooooh, thats nice lookin', although it looks kinda odd around the cockpit area.

Here's hoping it performs well. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Nice, wasn't expecting black, let alone that much of it! Relatively nice looking, here's hoping it perfoms btter than last years monstrosity!

Also, sponsors seem to be even more lacking than last year?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

nice to see the shamrock back on it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    Also, sponsors seem to be even more lacking than last year?!
    Compared to this time last year, the car is festooned with them!

I'd imagine B&H might take the side of the airbox if a Brit is signed. The Trust sponsorship surprises me because I thought that was all tied to signing Verstappen. However, the Gametrac deal is apparently worth a few kid (a fantasticly Orwellian child tracking/"fun" game device for your offspring).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've often wondered why Irish compnaies are'nt more interested in using Jordan to flog product/services. There must be few who'd like some international exposure...

Mike.

ps pity about the Ford logo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by mike65
    I've often wondered why Irish compnaies are'nt more interested in using Jordan to flog product/services. There must be few who'd like some international exposure...
    But who'd have the kind of money for that kind of sponsorship?

Off the top of my head:
    • Smurfit
    • Some of Sir/Dr/Anthony/Tony O'Reillys ventures
    • One of our now floundering indigenous tech companies
    • Diageo (not stricly Irish, but...)
    • Cubic Expression :)
    • Grafton
    I really can't see any of them seeing F1 as a suitable marketing exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

looks pretty slick.. here's hoping it works as well under the bonnet as it looks outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I wondered yesterday whether, give the fact that the Trust logo was on the new EJ14, that negotiations with Jos were still ongoing. I just found this:
    On Monday Nick Heidfeld tested the new Jordan EJ14 for the first time at Silverstone. The German did the shakedown for the team in the morning with the logo of Dutch computer company Trust on it.

Many people were wondering if it would mean that the Jordan team would have sorted out a deal with Trust and Jos Verstappen. A spokesperson at Trust explained to F1Racing.net: "The Jordan team has asked Michel Perridon (CEO at Trust) if they could run the car with Trust logo. Perridon gave them his permission if it wouldn't have any consequences."

Although Jos Verstappen's manager Raymond Vermeulen told F1Racing.net on Monday that they stopped all negotiations with the Jordan team since last week the Trust spokesman told us: "We are still talking with Eddie Jordan to get to a deal and get Verstappen into the car. We are hoping to finalise the deal soon obviously."
    http://www.f1racing.net/news.php?ID=68240

And despite their small logo on the nosecone, Benson and Hedges have entended their sponsorship deal with Jordan:
    B&H extends Jordan sponsorship

Jordan Grand Prix announces today that Benson & Hedges will be a major sponsor of the Jordan Ford team in the 2004 FIA Formula One World Championship. Manufactured in the UK by Gallaher Group PLC, the Benson and Hedges brand has been associated with Jordan Grand Prix since 1996 when it became the team’s title sponsor.

Since then it has enjoyed considerable success in Formula One with Benson and Hedges Jordan winning its first Grand Prix with a 1-2 for Damon Hill and Ralf Schumacher in Belgium in 1998; Heinz-Harald Frentzen added a further two victories the following season in France and Italy and a fourth win was included in the tally in Brazil 2003 with Giancarlo Fisichella.

Eddie Jordan, Chief Executive of Jordan Grand Prix said, “The whole team is delighted that Benson and Hedges will be with us for a 9th consecutive season. Benson and Hedges have been an integral part of our success in the past and they have shown remarkable loyalty to us. I’m proud that we will be racing once again in their distinctive yellow colours and we’re looking forward to the season with excitement.”

03 Feb 2004 09:46
    Jordan News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

F1racing.net seem to think there may still be a way in for Jos, but that the Trust sponsorship was the stumbling block. The rumours are that Trust wanted at least equal billing with B&H without as much money. Jos could not argue with the sponsors ans so was at the mercy of Perridn and EJ.

The size of the black flash on the sidepod seems to hint at some sort of a resolution of this issue as it is not a featured logo, but more of a livery change. I expect that it may have comannded more than the 10 mil Jos was touting earlier.

Thoughts?

LD

Pitpass.com has this to say:
    It is Jos!
    2-02-2004

It looks as though there has been a major change of heart and that Jos Verstappen and his sponsors have finally agreed a deal with Jordan.

Although neither Verstappen nor Jordan have made any further comments since last week's announcement that talks between the various parties had broken down, it appears that a deal has been done and the Dutchman will partner Nick Heidfeld this season.

The EJ14 had its maiden run at Silverstone today, ahead of its low-key unveiling on Wednesday. The car was running with prominent 'Trust' logos. Trust is one of the Dutch racer's main sponsors.

Although there is no official confirmation, it would appear that Verstappen has signed on the dotted line for the Irish team.

When contacted by pitpass, Jordan refused to confirm or deny that Verstappen had signed, but did confirm that the EJ14 ran with 'Trust' logos today.

Kind of unusual to be allowed to use the main sponsor of a driver when you "haven't signed him" (my quotes) considering that it was just for a shakedown and would be of no commercial value to Trust. Wouldn't you think that if Trust were a tad p****d off with EJ, that they would tell him to sod off and leave the space blank instead?

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Originally posted by Delphi91
    Kind of unusual to be allowed to use the main sponsor of a driver when you "haven't signed him" (my quotes) considering that it was just for a shakedown and would be of no commercial value to Trust. Wouldn't you think that if Trust were a tad p****d off with EJ, that they would tell him to sod off and leave the space blank instead?
    Free publicity for Trust though so why wouldn't they.

I tdoes seem odd that on the day when B&H confirm their sponsorship that the EJ14 Shakes down with a Trust logo emblazoned with permission from Mr Perridon.

LD

Originally posted by Ciaran
    Free publicity for Trust though so why wouldn't they.

Fair point.

But look at it from the other side: Given the price of advertising space on the side of an F1 car, and given the "alleged" problems between Jordan and Trust over space demands, and given that we understand that negotiations between Jordan and Trust have ended, why would Eddie give free publicity to a company who he wasn't going to do business with? Given Eddies business acumen, that's the LAST thing he'd do There's got to be an ulterior motive here.

methinks an agreement is about to be announced.

Have a look at what Eddie said in an interview with itv-f1.com:
    Team boss Eddie Jordan is delighted with his new machine, which will be put through a full test on Wednesday and Thursday.

He said: “I’m happy to say that the EJ14 is a step forward from last year’s car.

“It has been a team effort with our experts from each field contributing their part.

"We’ve seen the biggest improvement in aerodynamics that we have ever seen from one year’s car to another.

“Time will tell whether that means we will catch up with the guys who were ahead of us last year but I am feeling optimistic, as always!

“Many of our partners have stayed loyal to the team and I hope we will have a few surprises to come before the season starts.

Is he referring to a possible deal?

Mike

Is he referring to a possible deal?

Fingers crossed!!! :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

whats with the 04 04 04 on the air intake? Something to do with Bahrain (whose race is on that date)?

Hmm, Eddie went to Bahrain to see the circuit. Maybe this is a sort of hint that he has managed to use his charm on some oil-rich sheik to part with a few sheckels in return for some car space?

Also wonder if the change in font/emphasis for the middle 04 is indicative of anything?

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I havnt seen EJ as excited about a car in nearly 3 years lets hope it lives up to the hype. Although time will tell if it is able to propell them up the grid. many of the other teams seem to be light years ahead. Lets hope he has the funding to develop the car throughout the year. he did the right thing in getting rid of durand whos passed it and Anderson whos an idiot. The new tech team seem to be working well together im sure robinson and Mcquilliam will help the team.

The car appears to be designed on the same simplisitc concept as last year. but the aero package and the side pods look a lot tidier. according to the new rules ford have to supply Jordan with the exact same engine as Jaguars so it should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Also wonder if the change in font/emphasis for the middle 04 is indicative of anything?

cheap and shoddy design? :)

The trust logo on the car is one thing, but Heidfeld having it on the Overalls is another thing.

I think we will see Jos yet.

LD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

The car looks great- I really like the shade of yellow. Some of the cars over the past couple of seasons didn't have a rich yellow and didn't look as vibrant!
    Let's just hope it runs as well as it looks!

• Advertisement

The green shamrock is back on the car once more!!!

On the side-pods and also on the supports for the front wing!!

If that doesnt make it go faster nothing will!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    If that doesnt make it go faster nothing will!! :D

Too true!! Eddie needs to get back some of the luck of the Irish this season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

2 seconds behind ferrari in testing isn`t a good omen. but its only their first test and there are more developments to find within the chasis. Jordan badly need to improve on their abissmal 9th in the championship last season. and i am sure they can do it. but quite frankly finishing 6th or higher would constitute a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I volunteer to push if it would be of any use to them :p

Originally posted by GreenHell
    I volunteer to push if it would be of any use to them :p
    That's only allowed when the car's a Ferrari and it's in a "dangerous position" :)

Advertisement