Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A scouting Forum??

Options
  • 02-02-2004 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I'm just Wondering if there's much demand out there for a scouting/guiding forum? I don't think wouldn't quite fit in with outdoor activities. A forum of its own would probably be more appropriate.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bu

Yes pigeonbutler I feel there is a great demand for a scouting/guiding forum. We should meet up sometime and discuss it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

to be honest, Im not sure what kind of support there would be for this, given the current Volunteerism forum (which covers scouting, and isnt exactly being flooded with scouts related topics). Saying that, as a scout myself, I wouldnt mind seeing who else is involved and everything they and their unit (or group) get up to.

I'll give it a thumbs up, its worth a try

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

no

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

maybe

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would need more info on what you think would be in this forum*

*I will only be able to give an answer then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

This is the first time I've ever heard mention of scouting/guiding on boards. Wait until there's a current forum overflowing with Badge questions and comments about what scout/guide do.

No

Dib dib dib

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

I haven't seen or heard of a scout in 20 years. Is it not just for kids? Little kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Scouting and Guiding caters for every age, usually start off when they are 6 and they can continue up through the ranks or groups until they become a leader themselves if they want!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Yea, I was in scouts for years. Started in Dungarvan cubs at age 8 or so, then moved onto Abbeyside scouts at age 11 till I was 18 or 19. I was an assisstant leader at the time. Great craic I had there to. Never regretted joining. And the scout camps are some of the best memories of my life :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I'd subscribe to this forum if it was created.
    You might be surprised how many supporters of scouting might come out of the woodwork if this forum was launched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Dido.. Don't know how much I'd have to contribute but I'd certainly keep an eye on it.. I was in cubs/scouts all my childhood life and served my time as a leader for a few years.. loved every minute of it.
    Best social developement a child could have and some great memories!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

What kind of threads would people talk about in a Scouting forum?
    And what exactly would there be to talk about after a month to keep the forums alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

No.

Then again Maybe.

Actually,

No.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ditto son of battles....
    I think there could be alot to talk about, from stuff like badges, test work etc, to regional/national activities, feeback from camping areas in ireland and abroad, information on useful events (say like a first aid class that is taking place)

Also at the moment their is plenty going on with the SAI/CSI link up, such as new rules, Unit structure etc, uniform, motto and all that kind of stuff.

I think it could be quite interesting to get talking to other leaders, and would definitly bring many people out of the woodwork, sure theres afew posters here who I wouldnt have thought to have been scout members

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

You've got my support also!! It would be nice to interact with other leaders etc and share ideas etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I would endorse this proposal. There are many former scouts on boards, and it would be an interesting way to keep in touch. The honest if irreverent forum that boards provides would be a whole lot more interesting than any official sites.

Advertisement