Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory upgrade query

• 02-02-2004 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, apologies in advance for what must seem a very basic question....

Anyway, I'm looking to add another 512mB memory to my Dell 4550 (2.53 gig, 533 FSB). I checked with Dell, and I'm told I need non-ECC 333Mhz DDR RAM, which sounds fine. However, when i search around, including on Pc-Memory-Upgrade.co.uk, there seems to be very little non-ECC memory of this type available, and its more expensive than the ECC type.

So, whats the significance of the ECC thing, and am I getting correct advice from Dell??.

Many thanks in advance for the help,

AG.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I also have a Dell 4550 P4 2.53GHz and I recently added some memory. I'm assuming my 4550 takes the same memory as yours, but best to confirm that yourself. I got the Samsung PC2700 RAM from here http://www.shop4memory.com/products/ddr-ram.asp#pc2700
    It's the very same RAM that Dell installed originally. Check how many free memory slots you have and how much memory your motherboard can handle. A great little program for getting all that info is this http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_x86&langx=en&a= It will give you all the details of the RAM you currently have installed, so just make sure you order the very same type of memory.

Once you have that info you can order the modules you need. I would highly recommend Shop4Memory, they're very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Pheonix, had a look at that, and seems like a good deal - only query is the ECC status of that Samsung memory - dosen't mention if its ECC or non-ECC. Any idea about that?.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by ArthurG
    Pheonix, had a look at that, and seems like a good deal - only query is the ECC status of that Samsung memory - dosen't mention if its ECC or non-ECC. Any idea about that?.

Cheers

Generally if it doesn't state that it has ECC then its not, and just standard memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by ArthurG

Cheers

Not too sure about that EEC thing myself. I'd go along with Kali and say that if it was EEC then it would state it on the memory specs. My system is the very same as your's (FSB 533MHz and Memory 333MHz) and I bought the Samsung memory and it works perfectly. Go for the Samsung, that's what Dell uses and it has a lifetime warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

You basicly need Pc2100\Pc2700 (either) standard ram. If it doesent say ECC and it doesent say Registered then thats the ram for you. Your looking at the wrong ram i think ArthurG .......

Its on www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk from €73 ...........
    A bit of advice, dont get OEM when it comes to Ram ...... its cheap and you dont need the hassle. OCZ memory for €91 is very good, Veritech should be fine for €83.

I dont see how you can be recomended Pc2700 ram (333mhz - 166mhz FSB X 2) when your FSB is 133mhz x 4 -> 533mhz........ ie you need 266mhz RAM.

Anyway the Pc2700 ram will work fine, just at a lower speed (ie Pc2100 speeds).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Should have done this at the start I guess.... just opened the machine and dug the RAM out, its 'hynix' PC2700 DDR 333Mhz. Guess that would have saved me a lot of hassle if I'd checked it first of all....

Doesn't sound like a 'familiar' RAM name to me, but guess Dell use it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the 845PE (think that was the designation) supported 333 memory on a 133 bus, remember it's single channel, so even 333 is not enough to saturate the 533 bus of the p4, and is why the p4 went dual channel.

Advertisement