Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zalman ZM50-HP and a GeForce FX5200

Options
  • 02-02-2004 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried that combo? Is the FX5200 too hot for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

shouldn't be too hot for it since u can stick that heat pipe on a 9800pro which i think chucks out a lot more heat than a 5200

atm i have one on a 9800pro it's warm to touch but doesn't burn your hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

How good is the pipe at shifting heat to the back side of the board? If it gets hot I can stick a half speed 80mm fan at the back of the case right above the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well there is two different heat pipes as far as i can see.

Zalman ZM80C-HP Silent VGA Heatpipe Cooler

zalman_ZM80C-HP.jpg

Zalman ZM80A-HP Silent Heatpipe VGA Cooler

zm80hp.jpg

the first one can stick a fan on like this

zalman_zm-op1.jpg

all taken from here
    ocuk

if you get the first one you can buy the optional fan shown in the third picture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Its neither of those 2 above, Its like the gold coloured one but smaller iirc. It would be fine for the fx5200.. Most of the 5200's are passively cooled anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Its about half the size of the ZM80A (give or take) , like Xithus said it will be fine to cool a 5200...... you should see some of the crappy coolers that come as stock on some models.

Hope your thinkin of noise and not overclocking (5200 -> not a great card to start with :()?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Scythe Heatlane Zen Fanless (Socket 478) CPU Radiator Cooler (HS-001-SY)

This is designed for Pentiums, but could you get away with using this with an amd??

Also do you know where you can buy online those hush kits?

My PC is noisy as all hell and I was wondering which would be the best way of cooling it.

I was thinking of getting a fanless gpu and cpu heatsink, insulation hd case and getting a case fan with a termal sensor. That would be safe enough right?

Does the case fan make much noise on it's own? What about the noise of the PSU? I heard that that was the noisiest component of them all.

Thanks

For very close to silence........

CPU Cooler
    The Zalman 7000 Socket A cooler - www.hitide.ie

Power Supply
    The Be-quiet range are very quiet and good quality - www.hitide.ie
    If your willing to mod the fan to run at 5v then this is excellent for noise -
    www.pc-look.com .
    Total silence from a PSU - www.pc-look.com
    The Antec 380w ture power is also very very quiet (single fan version)...... the one that comes with the sonata.

Hard Drives
    Segate Cuda's V & IV are the best.
    Newer ones are quiet aswell as the Samsung spinpoints (ive ordered 1)

Graphics card cooler
    The Zalman Heatpipe for total silence - www.hitide.ie

Northbridge cooler
    The one on the Abit boards can be annoying, passivly cooled and your ok.
    You will need one case fan atlease, preferably a 120mm fan @ 5-7v (ie superlanboy, sonata, P160 antec cases ..... etc.

CD Drives
    Samsung are pretty quiet, The NEC Dvd drives arent bad for dvd's (noisey for cd's)

The thing is how much are you going to change and how quiet do you want it to be??
    Majour reduction in noise if you buy a new PSU & CPU cooler. If you get a be-quiet or antec then they have fan controllers so they will run your fans according to load on the PSU (ie on idle the fans run very quiet @ 5v ish)...........

Hope this is some help,

Loki

thanx

You have been helpful.

No problems at all. Feel free to post any questions about the products........ i either have/had them or have read alot into them.

I was wondering could you use the Scythe Heatlane Zen Fanless (Socket 478) CPU Radiator Cooler on an AMD???

Would it fit on securly?

Here is the heatsink I'm talking about....

http://www.tsheatronics.co.jp/zen/english/ncu1000_e.html

Also I'll think i'll go for the Heatpipe VGA Cooler ZM80C-HP (click here )

Also for a hd silencer, this looks to be pretty good--click here

If I were to get these, what case fan would I need? Thinking about it, would a case fan to tackle all this heat sound like a hoover? Is there case fans that can tackle this amount of heat and be silent???

Thanx

• Advertisement

I wouldnt recomend using a P4 heatsink on an AMD. TBH im not 100% sure if it would work or not but know a couple of people who tried it and didnt get on well. There is a small difference in the lip on P4 heatsinks which can reduce the contact with the AMD core - bad news.

You could try this..... http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=17134&cat=455 (also on www.overclockers.co.uk)

The Zalman Heatpipe is a good option, definetly worth getting. I have the slightly older model (where you cant add the fan) and its brilliant. Cant be bet for silence!!

Its a good option to get a hard disk cooler asewll when your trying to have as little fans as possible, it will also quieten the Hard Disk........ looks good to me although i havent had any experience with them. (im just getting quiet hard drives to begin with, and the sonata case has nice grommets to deal with vibrations).

On the case fan issue, it depends alot on what mountings you have, probably 80mm ones .............
    I have the Sharkoon Ultra Silent fans, there the best ive seen because they come with a little variable resistor which allows you to increase & decrease the RPM of the fan (and thus the noise). When your going that extreme with silence mabye 2 of these fans placed properly and it should sort you out. Other than that Papst fans have a very good rep.

Try....
    www.hitide.ie
    www.elara.ie
    www.jes-computer.de
    www.pc-look.com

For the best range of fans. Your temps will obviously suffer but it'l be nice and quiet :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I have a P4 2.4 running at 3.2 with stock cooling (well a few case fans) but the bog standard Pentium cooler is way too noisy compared to the rest of the rig. i want a really really quite CPU Cooler, im either thinking about the following:

Zalman 1

OR

Zalman 2

Cost doesnt really bother me (too much) but sound is the most important point.

Im guessing if im getting 3.2 with stock it will defo run at 3.2 with either with these?

Also size shouldnt be a problem, i have a Abit IC-7 in a skyhawk case?

so to sum up does anyone know which is the quieter of the two?

Sean

Has anyone tried watercooling??? It'll be nice to get a kit but there pretty expensive at the moment.

Does anyone know of any bargins that are safe and won't leak and fry my PC (and me).

This looks cool and I read a review and the guy was pretty impresssed (click here). This kit cools the CPU, GPU, PSU and I think even the hd. It also has some dry leak test to see if everything is nice and water tight.

A bit pricey though($240 in the us but probably much more over here)...but complete sileeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnncccccccccceeeeeeeeeee!!

I have a P4 2.4 running at 3.2 with stock cooling (well a few case fans) but the bog standard Pentium cooler is way too noisy compared to the rest of the rig. i want a really really quite CPU Cooler, im either thinking about the following:

Well your definetly on the right road, there two of the best coolers for performance and quietness. Id recomend the Zalman 7000 (alcu is €10 cheaper and performs almost the same as the cu). It is variable which is nice, and you would have to have a very very quiet rig to notice it when its on low (ie little or no case fans).
    Its a huge cooler but the only problems tend to be with athlon's. Check the website just to make sure...........

That cooler has gotten massive reviews from anyone who has it, you will probably tackle your PSU and lower your case fans after :) .

Has anyone tried watercooling??? It'll be nice to get a kit but there pretty expensive at the moment.

Yea i have it Innovatek XXS cooling kit (CPU only) ...... Here . Water cooling kits go from around €139 on hitide.......

Am quite impressed with mine, getting a lovely overclock with a very quiet system. I have a little bugger of a NB fan (soon to be gone) and a WD hard drive (soon to be samsung spinpoint) to deal with . I also have to mabye silicone around the pump just to lessen vibrations.

Im using the Zalman HP on GFX card, Have the Sonata case, 2x120mm fans @ 5v (varies with load).

Innovatek kits are very good, top quality stuff......... with water and electronics you just dont take chances !!

TBH you would get the same results in quietness if you get the Zalman 7000, nice quiet case fan (preferably 120mm @ 5v) , very quiet PSU (antec 380w single fan, be-quiet , zalman, modded fortron) , passivly cool your GFX card and NB = Very quiet (close to silent machine)......... ohh yea and the harddrives (best to get quiet ones from the start).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by neXus9
    This looks cool and I read a review and the guy was pretty impresssed (click here). This kit cools the CPU, GPU, PSU and I think even the hd. It also has some dry leak test to see if everything is nice and water tight.

A bit pricey though($240 in the us but probably much more over here)...but complete
    sileeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnncccccccccceeeeeeeeeee!! [/B]
    Hi,
    there are two problems with this kit:
    1. have a look at the tube-connectors at the coolers. As far as I know this is a kind of hydraulic plug-system. This means the connectors are designed to work under pressure. A watercooling kit has very low pressure and as a result the connectors will leak sooner or later!
    Try to get some more reviews, maybe have a look in some discussion boards concerning watercooling and try to talk to some users with a long experience ;) But do not believe everything what you read. Specially people in the "modding"-scene have the strong opinion that the stuff they are using is the best... ;)
    When it comes to connectors I am an absolute friend of the good old Connectors with a screw to tighten the tubing. They are as safe as possible, and you can check them very easy.
    Do not mess around with water in a computer environment. ;)

2. The radiator is to small. Forget about 80mm radiators! They are small and easy to install but the area for heat transfer is smaller as well and therefore the fan has to run with a higher speed. You might get the same results in cooling but with a higher noise level.

Regards,

jow

Now thinking about it, in realistic terms I probably won't get watercooling. Very expensive and I'd be getting paranoid about the thing setting fire while i'm out and about.

I'll probably go for the Zalmon 7000 CPU fan, Passive GPU heatsink and a 120mm case fan with a termal sensor. Can you get a CPU fan as good as the zalmons that has a termal sensor. This would be a safe noise solution than the normal/silent mode option.

Just wondering, if you use copper heatpipes for both the CPU and GPU directing out of the back of the case, do you need a case fan??

Thanks

Ive had a cpu fan with a sensor on it, so it varies the speed according to heat......... volcano 7. The most hatefull noisey pice of junk, if you want silence then put the zalman on silent and work your overclock around that (and temps aswell).

I would think you would need atlease one case fan if you have a passivly cooled CPU & GPU, to be safe. If you want a fan that will vary with load then just get a normal one and get a PSU with a fan controller.......... thats what i use. Silent when little load, still quiet when on max. Variable fans tend to be noisey as your system will be running hot anyway............. defeats the point.

Your going down the right route anyway :) , dont forget a quiet PSU, most important.

After a bit of thinking ive ordered the following from overclockers.co.uk:

Zalman

Thermal Paste

I kinda opted for the paste on the spur of the moment, i am correct in thinking that i put a few drops on the CPU just before i attach the Zalman?

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

The Zalman needs paste between the plates and around the heat-pipe, as well as on the gpu.
    There is a tube of paste included with the Zalman but it's cheap white silicon, so just keep it for emergencies.

Thermal Paste wont be any burden , always usefull when your changing your setup around......if you upgrade CPU, NB cooler, GFX card cooler etc.......

It should help a little with your CPU temps aswell :)

• Advertisement

Ok, I received the zalman, Thermal paste and a few other stuff from overclockers.co.uk (great service ordered mon,today is wed)

Anyway i installed the Zalman and its very quite, almost silent, it made the Intel sound like a tractor, that was untill i changed the fan to silent mode, oh my god! its is about as close to silent as i could imagine. The only thing is the fan i have blowing on my GFX card is now the offending loud part. so i unplugged that and i now have a silent PC. (well as close as you can get!)

I am seriously impressed with the Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu, It is quite big, but its simple to fit and isnt as heavy as i had heard.

Im not too sure how the Paste is doing as i have no reference on the zalman with out the paste, but im sure it cant hurt.

Thanks for the help

Sean

Is there any american sites where I can get these products a bit cheaper???

I am seriously impressed with the Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu

Good to hear :) , was thinkin you'd be impressed. As for the GFX card, you could get the Artic Cooler or the Zalman Passive cooler.......... would make a big difference if thats the noisiest part. Prob the cheapest when you take into account shipping etc is www.hitide.ie , might be worth a look !!

Advertisement