Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beatles Anthology 5DVD set €23 @cdwow

• 02-02-2004 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

It's less than €23 actually - HK$214.99 which works out at €22.25

It's been gone from cdwow for a good while and they were last selling it for about €50. It's around €90 or so in HMV.

Every Beatles fan should have one and at this price you can't say no.

Link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

What exactly do ye get on it like the details seem a bit shady. I dont wanna buy a whole load of beatles interviews and about 3 videos :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by sceptre
    It's less than €23 actually - HK$214.99 which works out at €22.25
    Not inclluding the surcharge of €3 are we ? It hops up when you select the delivery address (the country field).
    Every Beatles fan should have one and at this price you can't say no.
    Link
    Yeah Yeah Yeah :D

€26 is above the small package rlief, capped at €2 or €23 ....therefore it could be taxed. You first Scep.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

Originally posted by Muck
    Not inclluding the surcharge of €3 are we ? It hops up when you select the delivery address (the country field).

is not the 3E surcharge for CD's only? tried and it allows me to order the dvd for 215HK$ so no surcharge here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

cool that, thought Music DVD would be hit as well.

Tranasactonline still bollixed though so must wait for AIB to sort that out.

M

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,330 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The €3 surcharge applies to CDs only, CD-Wow will not be applying it to DVDs or games (until the movie or games industry groups pull a BPI/IRMA and decide we should be screwed on these as well).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

You only have to pay the 3 extra euro on Cd's, DVD's and games are excluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

My DVD player is region 2 only, the Beatles Anthology set is [Region 0] Worldwide. This I assume means that it is not playable on my machine ? - Dammit :confused:

P. :dunno: :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

no it means it will work on any Dvd player

When you try to order, cd-wow opens a warning window that states "Make sure your player will play 'Region 0 Worldwide' DVD's before purchase !. I checked my handbook and it has a number of symbols one of which is the world with ALL on it.

However, it then states this machine will only play [Region 2] coded discs. Very ruddy confusing, as on my machine there is a square box symbol with a 2 in it ? :dunno:

P. :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

R0=region all
    means that it will play on any dvd player regardless of which region. it's a pal disc too

• Advertisement

Davexirl & silent,

Many thanks.

At that price its a no brainer. So I will order it, yeah, yeah, yeah.:) :)

P. :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

This is so cheap, have to order two (one for GF and one for Family)

Nice1 on the Bargain Sceptre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Its working out at bang on 22euro now!!! have to get this, nice spot sceptre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

That's a bargain alright... I bought this same one from the same site (HK version) before Christmas and it cost the best part of 60 quid... was a present for someone so I can't comment on the contents too much, but from what they've told me it's great, if you're into that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I just bought it now! Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭wer*

is there any difference between cdwow.ie and cdwow.hk? like shipping times and stuff?
    the beatles dvds are 28.95 on the .ie site so its only a few euros more expensive.

Gonna get it anyway just wondering if I am better off going with the .ie for the sake of a couple of euros

just wondering if I am better off going with the .ie for the sake of a couple of euros

No, they are both shipped from Hong Kong, there is no benefit in buying from .ie, it just costs more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Nice one Sceptre! theres a copy on the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

fair play to you...the mother will be happy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ordered, it really is a no brainer

It bills as HK$255.00 which is 26.1656 EUR

Cheap regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

2 questions about this:

What postcode do you guys put in?
    Doesn't the site use ssl?

<edit> never mind the ssl bit - my browser was crapping out</edit>

davej

i put in "Ireland" or "EIRE" as the postcode, but you can use the account setup at cdwow.ie too.

It bills as HK$255.00 which is 26.1656 EUR

Its after going up in price a little since this morning so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by comet
    Its after going up in price a little since this morning so
    Hmmm, so it seems. Still a bargain at that price though. I spsuect they've managed to get the €3 surcharge for CDs dropped partly as a result of upping prices on the hk site. There's another thread going about this though.

@Paddy
    It'll definitely play on your player. The video encoding is PAL which is what we use on this side of the Atlantic. Region 0 DVDs, as the lads have mentioned are playable in all players.
    (there might have been an issue with your TV if ti was a Region 0 NTSC disc but that doesn't apply here)

@Truckle
    Details are a little sketchy yeah - I see it only lists the extras. It's the series (amazon they ran on the telly in 1995/96 around the time the Anthology albums and book were released. Plenty of music in there (including quite a few promo videos) but plenty of non-music as well. More the story of the journey of the band from about 1961 to 1970 than anything else. I didn't get to see it on TV and I remember eyeing up the videos when they were released. Four double videos at around 30 quid each at the time. It falls squarely into the category of things that any Beatles fan will want and that any non-Beatles fan probably won't. If you just like the odd few songs buying the red or blue album (or that Beatles Ones thing) would be more your bag.

I was in Liverpool the time this series ran, also visted the Museum thingy. This was at the time when "Free as a bird" was released and went to number 1.

if im correct, then ive been seraching for this docu for ages

(it was before i was into the beatles :/)

I remember the series. A BBC production I think, recorded a lot of the programmes on VHS, as I remember the Beatles era very well.

I lived in London throughout that magnificent time, and this Anthology captures an important part of my own past memories. Should be great on DVD, a real keepsake.

Strange that when the Beatles first hit the top 20. I was not impressed. Its only as the years have passed that I have grown to appreciate the unique revolutionary music talent those four lads from Liverpool really were.

Those were the days, as Paul McCartney wrote for a new young female singer whose name escapes me.

Thanks, sceptre for letting us know of this unmissable piece of musical history at a giveaway price.

P. :) :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Those were the days, as Paul McCartney wrote for a new young female singer whose name escapes me.
    Mary Hopkin (bit before my time). It wasn't actually written by mcCartney, though most people think it was. It's an old Ukranian song that was adapted by Gene Raskin in 1953. Richard Hewson arranged it, Paul produced it and the b-side (Pete Seeger's Turn Turn Turn, known from the Byrds' version) and it was released on Apple in late August 1968.

Paul wrote her next single (Goodbye). Nothing but violas on that one

hmmmm Was it not Cilla Black.

in fairness i dont really like the early stuff, just from Rubber Soul onwards, but there are a few gems pre 1965

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

has anyone tried to buy one today? can't find any sign of Beatles Anthology on cdwow.com.hk

• Advertisement

has anyone tried to buy one today? can't find any sign of Beatles Anthology on cdwow.com.hk

Yeah I had a look and they are gone, looks like there was so much business generated from this thread that they sold out!!

Advertisement