Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beatles Anthology 5DVD set €23 @cdwow

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

sceptre,

Yes, thats it. Mary Hopkins it was. Where the heck do you get all this info !..is it as simple as a Google search?.

bazH,

No it was not our Cilla, as we used to call her. Met her in the President Hotel in Russell Square in London in the early sixties, along with P.J.Proby, Billy J Kramer, The Hollies and a few more that I can not recall. Cilla was a really down too earth Liverpudlian. No airs or graces about her.

A good friend of mine used to work as a waiter in the main restaurant , and myself and a few penniless mates used to go in and get really 'cheapo' meals :eek: Say no more, Eh.

God, the memories of the things we used to get up too. This should really be in 'All things Retro ?.

P. ;) :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

The Anthology is the story as told by the only people who were really there.
    It's a superb work. Produced by Apple Corps.

Don't worry about the Region 0 stuff - for some reason the PAL version is Region 0.

If you've got 5.1 you'll really enjoy the remixes - especially the 'threetles' track 'Real Love'.

The input from people like Derek Taylor and Neil Aspinall shouldn't be underestimated - in particular Derek Taylor who was involved with the Byrds and other acts in between stints with the Beatles.

For 23 yoyos that's an absolute steal.

The TV series doesn't contain a lot of this material and the VHS release is also not as complete (and only has prologic surround, yuk)

McCartney wrote "It's For You" for Cilla Black. It's not featured in the Anthology.
    He wrote "Goodbye" for Mary Hopkin - he produced the single and played acoustic guitar on it. it was also one of the first singles on the Apple label.
    He also wrote stuff for PJ Proby, Peter & Gordon and others - prolific little man was macca.
    There's a demo of 'Goodbye' featuring just Paul & his guitar - but it wasn't included on the accompanying Anthology CDs because it was felt to be a McCartney (not Beatles) work. Though his demo for 'Come & Get It' was included which is contradictory...
    There's a recording of Paul's demo for 'It's For You' knocking around - it came from an acetate.

Free As A Bird didn't get to number 1.

The book that they brought out a couple of years back is superb - it's still available in hardback but I saw a softcover version of it in a bookstore couple of days ago.

If you want to get a real appreciation of why the Beatles were (and still are) so important to music, pop culture and western society then view these DVDs. Loads of great music too.

Now... if they'd only remaster the back-catalog properly....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Seems to be gone :(

Sleepy,

I ordered the Beatles 'DVD': Anthology about a week ago. Then I received an e-mail stating that as they were out of stock, there would be a delay of a few days.

Then today I received another e-mail from their customer services stating that my order had now been dispatched.

So, it appears that they have them back in stock now !. Are you searching on their website under DVD's ?, as I made the blunder of searching under normal cd's which drew a blank.

Good luck, you should find it. ;) on the .HK site.

P.

:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Got the same email too confirming order. They may have only got enough stock in to settle orders pending because i can't find it on site :( . I think we were just lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

I got all those e-mails too, but I also got a promotional e-mail (via Pigsback.ie) that featured this DVD set at an advertised price of €28.95. This was after we all ordered ours, and the stock-out, etc. Suggests to me that the original deal was no mistake, and that CD-Wow will have more of these on offer. Did you look in cdwow.ie?

I also received a cd-wow promo e-mail which had the Beatles: DVD Anthology on offer at €28.95c, yet I can not find it anywhere on cd-wow. Strange ? :confused: ...

P. :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mine arrived today. Very nice package on the whole. Like the rest of you I can't find it offered on the site any more.
    Originally posted by Paddy20
    sceptre,

Yes, thats it. Mary Hopkins it was. Where the heck do you get all this info !..is it as simple as a Google search?.
    I'm sure it'd be easy to get the info via a google for "those were the days", there's bound to be at least one person with a repository of info /all/ things Beatles. The above I just knew though, probably a carryover from using the guinness book of British hit singles as bedtime reading in the mid-90s.

Oh yeah, Cilla Black is the spawn of the devil (sorry!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Id say most boards people here that ordered it are early 20`s like myself(except padd20 ;))

Should have mine soon, there was a delat in stock, hence it being poulled off the site to accomodate the back orders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

mine's on the way too. great spot sceptre!

anyone know the total running time?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by quarryman
    anyone know the total running time?
    11 hours & 14 minutes (added up the times for the discs on the bottom of the box)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

its back on for wait for it

€52.95!!!

What !:eek: €52.95c, and I notice my credit card has been charged less than €23 for it.

I genuinely feel sorry for all those who missed out, this time :( .

sceptre,

Quote; " Cilla Black is the spawn of the devil (sorry!) " end quote.

Poor Cilla, what did she ever do to deserve that ?, and her real surname being "White" with the title of one of her hits called " Anyone who had a heart " !.
    A bit unfair methinks. I well remember sitting on the top of a London bus in the early sixties reading a showbiz opinion column in the Evening Standard about this young buck teethed untalented scallywag who had just hit the top twenty with a song I think was entitled "Alfie" from the film of the same name starring a new young actor called Michael Caine. The columnist whom I think was called Milton Schulman stated that "she was a talentless ugly duckling who would be a one hit wonder and she would be back working as a cloakroom assistant in Liverpool within a year." end.

How wrong he was. You know one thing I noticed about showbiz people is that those who are genuine with real talent seem too last more than those simply seeking fame. So, I disagreed with the Columnist and naturally have to disagree with you (Sorry ! ).

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

Mine arrived this morning, its really excellent. Best bargain in a long time, €22-odd! Looking forward to watching the whole thing through. Of course, €52.95 is still a good price (compared to high street prices), I reckon there was a mistake made by someone somewhere, I'm delighted I benefitted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Originally posted by sikes
    its back on for wait for it

€52.95!!!

Wow, We got such a great bargain!!!!:D I feel good and am looking forward to watching it now

Received mine this morning. Watched the last DVD [Recollections] first, just great.

So, I decided to treat myself to the new book; Lennon Legend : An Illustrated life of John Lennon, written by his close friend - Author; James Henke. Its a hardcover in a protective slipcase published by Weidenfield & Nicholson. It has pull out facsimilies/reproductions of Lennon memorabilia and a unique never released before 'CD', of Lennon messing about during some interview!.

All the reviews I have read have given it five stars out of a potential five. Its available from www.amazon.co.uk
    for STG£17.50p + P&P.

Well worth the money. Imho ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

23euro was certainly a bargain. Even £17.50 + P&P with Amazon was
    great but its 35.99sterling on Amazon now.Anybody know anywhere
    else it can be picked up for less than this?

Originally posted by PWEI
    Anybody know anywhere else it can be picked up for less than this?
    You're a bit out of luck at the moment

(I always check dvd pricecheck before buying anything and there's isn't a cheaper price on a region 0 or 2 (as far as I know there isn't an R2 at all so they presumably mean R0). However from that link you can see that this site has it for €34.04 delivered. DVD Profiler seems to indicate that the title is encoded as NTSC. If your player hasn't a problem with region 1 discs (ditto with your TV) then you might consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

paddy20 that book is wonderful and worth every penny.

If any of you have enjoyed the Anthology DVDs then you should try to get the hardback edition of the Anthology book - it's just come out is softcover but the hardcover is so much nicer and lasts longer on your coffee table....

Advertisement