Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigration

Options
  • 02-02-2004 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure whether this forum is for non-Irish people who live outside Ireland, or whether it's for Irish people living abroad. Anyway, I'll have a go with this.

I'm emigrating to Canada in May (hopefully) and I'm just wondering what are other people's experiences of emigration? How hard was it to do? To leave behind people and possessions? Or was it relatively easy?

About the possessions, what kind of stuff did people deem worthy enough to bring with them, and what did you leave behind? Just looking for some ideas.

I guess people here have emigrated at some time, even for 6 months, so all feedback would be welcome.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Well I attempted to emigrate to Ireland from the States last year. I sold everything I owned and only kept a few boxes of sentimental crap in a storage facility that now I see was really needed, the only things in my storage place I am going to keep are my photo albums, movies, and special gifts I have rcvd over the years. everything else can be replaced, it's all material, ya know?

Anyway, It was hard to leave the family and friends but not at first, I was so excited to be moving It didnt hit me till the holidays rolled around that I missed them more than I thought I would. Given the choice I would still be in Ireland though, I had to come back after 4 months because I couldnt find work and ran out of money, no one would hire me because I wasnt a citizen.
    I gave it all up, a job, a house, a new car,everything on a chance to live out a dream...was it worth it?
    Absolutley! I am back now and know what I have to do to make it work next time, and yes there will be a next time :)
    not for a few years though.

Goodluck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have to get rid of anything. It can all just sit here in my room in the family home. The room isn't gonna be used for anything else apart from being a computer room, and it's that already. But it's still a little hard figuring out what to bring. Your post has just made me realise though that it's not as if I'm throwing anything out, because I'll always be coming back here at least once a year. My stuff will always be here.

If you don't mind me asking, why Ireland of all places? And hope it's not Dublin you're moving to at least!

Advertisement