Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minced beef

• 02-02-2004 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

name a few nice meals i could make with minced beef and any other ingredients

i am sick of...
    bolagnas
    lasagne
    chilli con carny
    shepards pie

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

chilli san carne ?

stir fry the dead animal remains (or use carrots / beans) with a little oil - throw in some mushroom and butter - and a few peppers (garlic / ginger to taste. Then get some tomatoe purre - the 1/2 litre or bottle - none of that DolMio/ROMA/RAGU muck. And boil the whole lot up - again add crushed garlic.

Boil pasta - not too soft and then drain it add the sauce from above and stir it up on heat - add cheese so it melts in and plonk the whole mess onto a plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Homemade burgers.....

1lb of minced beef (lean). Mix a dash of sweet chilli and tabasco and a tablespoon of flour (plain) to bind mixture. Season with Salt and Pepper and fry in a small amount of Olive Oil. If you like onions with your burger fry 1 onion (chopped) on a medium heat in 1/2 tablespoon of butter and a small amout of olive oil. Fry for 10 mins and keep warm till your burgers are done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Mexican food!

Buy yourself a few "El Paso" kits and try burritos, enchiladas, tacos etc.

Very tasty ;)

Almost all mexican dishes can be made with minced meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try making sheesh kebabs

- 500 g (1 Ib) lean mince
    - 2 large green peppers
    - 4 medium onions
    - 1 tablespoon grated onion
    - 8 small tomatoes
    - 1/2 cup yogurt
    - juice of 2 lemons
    - 1 teaspoon liquid saffron
    - 4 tablespoons oil
    - salt and pepper

Place mince in a bowl.Add liquid saffron, grated onion, salt, pepper, lemon juice to the yogurt. Mix well and marinade in the mixture for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. Cut up the green peppers in 2 1/2 cm (1 in) squares. Cut the onions into quarters. Form the meat into small stubby cigar shapes and thread onto a skewer with pepper, onions and tomatoes alternately, and grill over glowing coals, turning frequently. (or under the grill)

When cooked, push the kebabs off the skewers on to a warmed dish and serve immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Keema stuffed naans. You could make your own naans by making simple yeast dough with dry fried fennell seeds, shaped into naan, brused with butter and grill. Otherwise just cheat and buy some.

Fry onion garlic till beginning to soften. Add turmeric, ground cumin, ground corriander, ground fenugreek, chilis, whatever floats your boat, spice-wise.

Preferably buy whole seeds, dry fry and grind in pestle and mortar or coffee grinder.

Add mince. Continue to fry. Add salt and pepper. Take off heat when cooked and add in loads of fresh corriander leaves and a little bit of garam masala.

Plonk in naans, plonk in oven to warm naan, serve with raita, lime pickle, mango chutney, chopped deseeded tomatoes and red onion very finely sliced. Mebbe a nice bit of roquette too.

Mmm... think i'm doing this for dinner tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Aargh! Just got all excited about making it. Went to check if i had yeast left or should i get some when out getting mince. Then remembered that live in boyfriend is vegetarian. I hate when that happens. Curses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Other homemade burgers

add mince, breadcrumbs, egg, finely chopped parsley, finely chopped onion into a big bowl. With clean hands mix it around until its nicely blended, and a little bit 'sticky', then mould into burger shapes and put on a baking tray.
    Cover burgers and baking tray with cling film then stick in fridge for an hour or two. Then fry or grill on med/high heat until done to you liking.

Do all this at a summer barbecue in your house, then dirnk lots of beer. Then go into town and drink copious amounts of Southern Comfort and more beer. Then go to a very late bar and drink more pints and more Southern Comfort. Then walk home but fall over bollards and crack your knee. Then wake at 4.30pm with the mother of all hangovers and go to McDonalds for a hangover cure and inferior burgers to the above recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Kambika

meatballs
    pizza with minced beef on it
    minced beef curry
    fill pancakes with minced beef
    etc etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

MMmmmm burritos, Sour cream, lettuce the whole lot. Tasty.

Check out www.allrecipes.com and look under Main Dishes then Beef. There should be some tasty recipes there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    chilli san carne ?
    chilli SIN carne.

it's spanish. ;) con being 'with', sin being 'without'. so basically 'chilli with/without meat'.

doesn't sound nearly as exotic when it's translated, but not much does.

so endeth the lesson.

p.s. sorry for being overly gramatically correct. :p feel free to pick my spelling apart!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

thanks everyone, i'll try 1 a week starting from the top of the list

are you a herbivore captn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by lafortezza
    Do all this at a summer barbecue in your house, then dirnk lots of beer. Then go into town and drink copious amounts of Southern Comfort and more beer. Then go to a very late bar and drink more pints and more Southern Comfort. Then walk home but fall over bollards and crack your knee. Then wake at 4.30pm with the mother of all hangovers and go to McDonalds for a hangover cure and inferior burgers to the above recipe.
    You forgot to mention that you were deliberately dancing in and out between the bolards like they were an obstacle course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Dirty Pasta
    Fry up and season your mince.

(I usually use a bit of diced onion, some sage and rosemary, paprika, salt and pepper, but whatever you're into)

Pour over some freshly-boiled "small" pasta (e.g. shells, twists, or anything like that. No spaghetti, tagliatelle, etc)

Grate some decent Gruyere cheese over this.

Serve.

Alternatley, here's a nameless "student food" recipe I used to make :

Fry your mince with diced onion, carrot (as per usual) till mince is browned.
    Add 2-3 tbl hoi-sin sauce
    Add 1 med. tin baked beans
    Simmer for 20 mins
    Serve over boiled spuds, waffles, or other potato-type food.

Nice.

jc

Advertisement