Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of the OS choice at startup

• 03-02-2004 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I recently created a new partition for my os and installed windows 2k on it. The drive used to have xp on it but i formated the whole drive before creating the partition.

Now when i start the machine it offers me the choice of XP or 2K even though i know xp is gone.

How do i get rid this option?

Also one more thing..... If I replace my motherboard do i have to reinstall the os again or is it just a case of installing everything onto the new board and switching on?

thanks for any help

Wavey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

edit boot.ini in notepad, its obvious what to do when you open it

you have to uncheck the read only attribute before you can save your changes

will be something like this

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

change timeout to 0 and delete the entire default and the winxp lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

cheers for the reply mukki

Where do i find boot.ini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

start -> run

type 'notepad c:\boot.ini' and enter

boot.ini is hidden by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

cheers lads

Advertisement