Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Myths

Options
  • 03-02-2004 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

can anyone tell me what myth is in your college?

i.e if you walk over that piece of grass you fail the whole year. i know ucc, nuig, tcd have ones but can't rem them.

it's for a project *cough*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by T.G Catter
    can anyone tell me what myth is in your college?

i.e if you walk over that piece of grass you fail the whole year. i know ucc, nuig, tcd have ones but can't rem them.

it's for a project *cough*

I heard that if you spend all your time drinking and not studying you fail exams.

Its an old wives tale though... never happened to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Well known one but anyway..

If you stand under the bell in Trinity you will never leave the college with a degree...

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

the main one in UCD is that if you've started studying by the time the trees outside the main restaurant are in bloom, you'll be alright.
    then again, that's kinda just common sense; exams start in may, trees bloom in early to mid march - that's at the very least a month and a half of solid studying... you don't gotta be in college to figure that out (spelling and grammar on the other hand......)

(edit) apart from that, there's the whole "riot-proof campus" and "network of underground tunnels connecting every building to the other" crap (edit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

ucc-walking on the grass in front of the main quad. also standing on the ucc crest on the ground in the quad.

in trinity there's also this rumour that on a certain day of the year protestants can scale the campanile (the bell tower) and use a crossbow to injure/maim catholics below.

:p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

not sure if he's a myth, but Pat Patterson is a bit of a legend round UCD

you UCDers know what im talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

another UCC one - you should have studied your entire years work by the time they cut the grass on the quad for the first time in order to pass. again - not rocket science - if you've studied everything two months before the exams you're going to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

DIT Aungier St

If you park your bike at the front of the college, everything disappears apart front the lock.

Oh no wait, that one's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

College Myth:
    Trinity College:
    1) Pretty girls exist in the Science block
    2) Law and Business (BESS) girls are naturally that tanned/orange

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by beardedchicken
    apart from that, there's the whole "riot-proof campus" and "network of underground tunnels connecting every building to the other" crap (edit)

i've been in the tunnels, not as widespread as you suggest, but they exist

Originally posted by kaids
    not sure if he's a myth, but Pat Patterson is a bit of a legend round UCD

you UCDers know what im talking about!

ehh..... who?

i heard some corkers from friends in trinners- usually stupid archaic laws that they've never got round to changing, like:
    a lecturer must not live any further than one day's ride away from campus...

then there's the one about some guy who was invigilating for exams, and looked up all of these mad rules, and demanded that he get the pig and the pint of stout he was entitled to, as an invigilator. the following week he was fined for not carrying his sword on campus.
    probably rubbish, but funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

if its sausages & rashers in the canteen on monday its coddle on a friday....................

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ehh..... who?

i heard some corkers from friends in trinners- usually stupid archaic laws that they've never got round to changing, like:
    a lecturer must not live any further than one day's ride away from campus...

then there's the one about some guy who was invigilating for exams, and looked up all of these mad rules, and demanded that he get the pig and the pint of stout he was entitled to, as an invigilator. the following week he was fined for not carrying his sword on campus.
    probably rubbish, but funny.
    if you'd ever used a toilet cubicle in UCD (in arts or the library at least) you'd more than likely know what i was talking about

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A toilet door favourite in UCG has been "Murt Loves Tits".

Nobody's quite sure who Murt is, but we know his passions in life.

Originally posted by kaids
    if you'd ever used a toilet cubicle in UCD (in arts or the library at least) you'd more than likely know what i was talking about

i have, but i've never heard of pat patterson!
    maybe you mean the men's loos? the women's toilets are just covered with incoherent scribbles from freshers about their tiresome problems, and the invariably idiotic replies! the ones in the library are the funniest (and most pathetic ... "dillo is a roide!" etc etc...)

i have heard that one going around but in the version i heard it was a student..he was a scholar and you get to do stuff like that! they're also allowed to play marbles on the front steps of the exam hall!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

in the ladies in the library in UCD theres the 'hot brian' wall where half the science girls appear to rant about a guy called brian and how hot he is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

lie mode.

The snackery in DIT Kevin St. has a great atmosphere, especially at lunchtime. It is well furnished and clean, the staff are also extremely curteous and helpful.

Joking aside; out in DCU I've heard it said that one of the basement classrooms in the science block had to be filled with rocks and other ballast to stop the whole building from subsiding. If you look at the state of the path outside, I could well believe it :)

Then theres that FunLiam thing of course....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

There's one in UCC about when they built the Boole Library, and didn't take into account the weight of the books, so the whole thing was likely to collapse:rolleyes:

And there's one in Trinity, apparently, about how the Trinity Ball is THE Irish social event of the year...go to the UCC Cowpunchers' Ball, sometime, luvvies:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If the bell rings when you step under the tower in the middle of front square in trinners you're a virgin apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Conorisco

I heard that in Trinity that if you ride by in ahorse one day of the year, you can kill smeone with a crossbow in the window of one of the houses in front square, and not be arrested.
    Also not realy a myth, but if your taking exams in the exam hall you can arrive with a horse and it will be cared for, also you are entitled to aglass of brandy before any exam(calm nerves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Danilo

In IT Tralee if you walk into certain areas of town you don't come back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

Originally posted by Danilo
    In IT Tralee if you walk into certain areas of town you don't come back

Is that a myth now, or the reality of
    THE BULLRING;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

theres another myth in I.T.Tralee about the college e-mail system & why it keeps breaking down:

Its haunted by the ghosts of little children who long ago were used in the construction of
    the colleges network because they were able to fit into that little space between the
    floors, but something went terribly wrong and they were trapped alive, their lifeless
    corpses still remain there to this day, their little wails heard echoing through the college
    in the dark of night, but theres nobody here to hear them.

or it could be because the servers too slow, either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭FoXXy

Originally posted by Red Alert
    If the bell rings when you step under the tower in the middle of front square in trinners you're a virgin apparently!

so the bell doesnt ring that often then huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

I heard the other day that trinity was meant to own a huge wine celler that streched half way up Grafton street and that they sold bottles from it whenever funds got low. (Though this is probably rubbish:dunno: )

ah tis true..sort of..i was reliably informed that trinity DO own a huge wine cellar but it's under front square..apparently when the fellows are at commons the satff pop down and grab some nice bottles of red.

also lots of hidden passages around the college. some are under the law school and lead to nearby residences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

also lots of hidden passages around the college. some are under the law school and lead to nearby residences
    I was thinking I saw a spiral staircase going underground in one of the ground floor rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

(edit) apart from that, there's the whole "riot-proof campus" and "network of underground tunnels connecting every building to the other" crap (edit)

what? thats gotta be true ucd is the most awkward place to walk around worst step ever and the minging lake for no real reason. i also believe uberwolf

Advertisement