Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

strange noises from my punto! HELP!!

Options
  • 03-02-2004 10:22am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I dont know if anyone here can help me, but im trying to identify a strange noise in the back of my car...

Its a 01 fiat punto, the rattling noise sounds like bottles knocking around in the boot, im thinking its the exhaust pipe is loose, ive checked it and rechecked it, and it doesnt seem any looser than normal, Im not a mechanic or anything but i thought maybe some stones had gotten up on top of the heat shield above the exhaust pipe and were rattling round but thats not it either... im also noticing some squeeking and creaking noises (these have all been happening for the last 6 months or so) when i hit bumps etc, again from the rear of the car, im not sure which side, you can only hear the noises sometimes, the performance isnt affected, the noise is just really annoying.

regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Have you checked that the spare wheel/jack/wheelbrace etc. are properly secured?

BrianD3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

yeah, good suggestion, I actually checked that out over the weekend, and vacummed out every scrap of dirt under the boot mat, ill pull all of these out later tonight and drive around with boot completely empty and see if i can still hear the rattling.

It honestly sounds like its under the car near the exhaust (left hand side on a punto), the exhaust itself is fine, its not blowing or anything, just sounds like its bouncing off or tapping off something, the other squeeking and creaking i would think must be the suspension, but like i said, i dont notice any difference when driving.

i would appreciate the opinion on these problems, of anyone who knows anything about cars, and for them to advise me...

And dont just say, go to quikfit, ive heard they are con merchants :D but i suppose as a last resort ill have to.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It could be also something simple like the catch for the rear seat being loose. Do you have split/folding rear seats ? On the Bravo the catch to hold the rear seats can be slightly too big for the bar and you get symptons just like you describe causing many to think their exhausts or suspension is fauling off. A bit of tape around the bar is all that's needed to fix it.

il try that too, but it does sound mechanical and under the back of the car, il post and let you know what happens, meanwhile, any other suggestions on what I can check out are appreciated.

Is it difficult to replace the checkstrap on the door of a car?? mine clicks loudly when opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

sounds like a bushel may be gone, had the same kind of noises in my Fiesta and it was a bushel that was gone, was pretty easy for a mechanic to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Sounds to me like the Baffle in the muffler collapsed
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

Suggest you check out the boot latch. Sometimes the boot lid can vibrate on rough surfaces, causing the latch to squeek - quiet loud sometimes.

ok, the squeek and creak must be suspension, i dont know how bad that is, again the cars performance isnt effected, it doesnt move around any more than normal, so i think it may be to do with rubbers or something ( i know nothin about suspensions other than they have rubber dampers or something on them!)

The rattle sounds like a stone in a tin can when i drive, but is almost completely unnoticable outside(got the girlfriend to drive around in it while i jogged behind :D)

this rattling has to be somthing to do with the exhaust, but im still at a loss :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

LOL funny u ask, i was driving home last night and i saw a stopped Punto with its Exaust On the ground and the guy out side his car with his phone to his ear calling for help, the Exaust was on the ground stuck under the car..

That wasnt u was it?

Either way u better off going to quiq fit and have them rase the car and have a look at.

better off like that than having it brake down in the middle of no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Have you jacked the car up yet?

It could be a broken spring, I had one broken at the top, and like your car, it didn't affect the performance, but made a little noise

You'll have to ge a torch & jack up the car to check the springs for cracks / breaks maybe a stone is lodged between the coils and the bushes for tear or of the bolts are rubbing against steel.

Maybe someone threw a few pebbles into the exhaust...

Is there rattling when the car is stationary and you pump the accellerator?, rev the sh!t out of it to get good blow & try and hear a rattling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I had a test drive in a new Stilo back in 2002, less than 500 miles on the clock and that squeak from the suspension you speak of was already there in the brand new Fiat. Any small bump at all and there'd be a squeak from the left front of the car. Seems to be a feature they don't advertise.

As for the rattle, you're better off getting it looked at by a mechanic, save your own time trying to figure it out. Chances are a Fiat mechanic will have come across this at some point and should be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

The squeak is probably your rear shock(about €60 but a bitch of a job if you are inexperienced)as for the rattle Punto's are rattle box's at best but are you sure its coming from rear of car?Have you checked interior trim/clips..something that breaks on them quite a lot .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I suggest you go check your rear links on your suspension. When they wear the rear swing arm bangs up and down.
    Also check the rubber hangs for your exhaust and see if any split.

How many miles on your car right now?

just about to hit 30K

i got it serviced in august or September, but the noise wasnt anywhere as bad as now.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pheelay

I had a very similar rattle on my own car (Clio). It was hard to tell if it was coming from front or back. After removing each wheel, I found the front left tie-rod end bolt was about to fall off (thank god it didn't fall off at 70 on the M50 =-o

I'd suggest removing each wheel and checking for loose bolts/suspension

Got a mate whos a mech to check it out.

The exhaust is ok, its the suspension, the shock is on the way out, i have "oil shocks"??? whatever they are! i need new ones, any recommendations for new shocks?? he mentioned gas ones? he said to replace both rear shocks as replacing only one was a waste of time.

anyway, im going to do the shocks myself, he said its easy enough and if i get stuck he'll help me out, so can anyone say how much will a set of new shocks for the back cost me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Zab-Rab

Re: The noisy door.

There are two allen key bolts that need to be tightened every so often. It takes only a matter of seconds. They are part of the bar that you were asking about replacing!

KYB shocks are quite good and are gas filled - most motor factors can supply them.

Advertisement