Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win2k + win 95 network set up

Options
  • 03-02-2004 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

at the moment i have my win2000 desktop connected to the dsl connection. we also have an old thinkpad win95 laptop that isnt connected to anything.

i just got a lend of a unex sd050d network hub.

its my first time networking, so i have a few queries.

i set up the dsl -> hub and then the two pc's to hub connections.

i'm presuming win2k will set things up easily, its the win95 i have no idea about... what settings need to be altered? (one thing about the win95 laptop, its in finnish.. not that much of a problem, but doesnt make it easier for my level of finnish)

what things should i take into account?

as a further thing. we have two dsl connections in the bedroom. is there anyway to have both computers attached to their own dsl connection, and still be in the same network?

cheers for any help. i spent some time looking through old threads and on google, just ended up a little more confused.

dw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by drrnwbb
    at the moment i have my win2000 desktop connected to the dsl connection. we also have an old thinkpad win95 laptop that isnt connected to anything.

i just got a lend of a unex sd050d network hub.

its my first time networking, so i have a few queries.

i set up the dsl -> hub and then the two pc's to hub connections.

i'm presuming win2k will set things up easily, its the win95 i have no idea about... what settings need to be altered? (one thing about the win95 laptop, its in finnish.. not that much of a problem, but doesnt make it easier for my level of finnish)

what things should i take into account?

type ipconfig /all in a command prompt window in 2000, note all the settings

ip address, subnet , gateway , DNS .

if the Ip is 192.168.0.2 then the laptop must have a different IP such as 192.168.0.3

all other settings are exactly the the same for the laptop, save the different IP .

put them all into the network control panel in 95 .....what kinda network cards does it have ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

in the end it worked out easy, i spent hours looking for the internet connection sharing option on win2k. it wasnt there! so in the end i copped on that all i had to do was mess around with the tcp/ip options on the win 95 laptop. prolly not the best solution, but it will do for now till i get win 98 onto it.

cheers for the advice though.

dw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by drrnwbb
    so in the end i copped on that all i had to do was mess around with the tcp/ip options on the win 95 laptop. prolly not the best solution, but it will do for now till i get win 98 onto it.

ICS only appears if an Internal and External Netwok interface are both present.

Its not enough to have a Dial Up Adapter present , a separate LAN must be present too.

I fail to see what will improve (networking wise) if you put W98 on it :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

Originally posted by Muck
    ICS only appears if an Internal and External Netwok interface are both present.

Its not enough to have a Dial Up Adapter present , a separate LAN must be present too.

I fail to see what will improve (networking wise) if you put W98 on it :D

M

yeah, i went barking up the wrong tree with the whole ics thing.

i was talking to a mate today and he said the same thing about win98, its a shame, but i'll still put it as the crapness rating of win98 is a tiny bit less than that of win95.

cheers for the advice from everyone

dw

Advertisement