Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me Versus IOL Broadband

• 03-02-2004 1:39pm

I ordered IOL Broadband online about 4 weeks ago. I heard no word so I emailed them. Waited for the response and phoned them so see what the story was.

They basicly said I have never ordered it. I was told to leave my email and they would get back to me.

The person who I orginally emailed said it WAS ordered a week after I orginally emailed them. This was after I was told they had no record of the order!
    I'm still waiting for them to get back to me after emailing them.
    Another person I know by coincidence had the same order disappearing problem with IOL.
    That they can loose a secure online order + payment does not fill me full of confidence about their service!

What the hell is going on in IOL??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 cooks

had the same problem with iol. first they said that someone had left the company and that they had forgotten about the order and then they said that it was problem with sending out the modem and then the final insult was that the exchange was not actually enabled but i ordered broadband in october last year and they forgot to tell me the little fact that i couldnt get broadband so why did they take my order. am slightly pissed off with them at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Whenever I think of the various departments withing Esat im always instantly reminded of the monkey exhibit at Dublin zoo for some reason.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

I had a similar problem.. 2 orders lost even though it had been confirmed 2 weeks before...
    The people on the phones had no patience and I got nowhere.. they wanted me to apply for a 3rd time but then I emailed Bill Murphy who sorted it out promptly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

:(
    I been waiting for three weeks now, it`s seem to be a good idea to contact them then...tried after a week to get a confirmation from them, but no reply. But i have other things to do then sending them mails all the time, so one day got to the next etc.

Did anybody get some kind of confirmation after ordering online, thinking about
    e-mails ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

You may notice if you ring them that alot of agents are doing the mute and hang up after a few seconds trick to stay on aftercall. Lazy sods. It different when I do it :P

And no I dont work for esat before anyway points the finger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

I had a similar problem signing up for their flat rate dialup. Basically they never activated my account after nearly 2 months of constantly calling them and asking them to sort it out (this was again after I gave them payment details from the web signup) - their reps just didn't seem to care, plus they were incredibly incompetant with regard to actually knowing the state of the order, which line number (ISDN) to activate, which department I should have been calling, etc. etc.

A nightmare, I cancelled it on Monday and went back to UTV. I just don't get it though; they're in business, to make MONEY. And they just flat out couldn't provide me with a service because they were just so bloody incompetant and careless about a potential customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

email complaints@esat.com

FAO Doirin Stephens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I had to wait like 10 weeks for Iol broadband when it first came out.....I think I was the first person on boards to be activated

Send emails to their complaints address than yellum has provided and pray is about all you can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Ryaner
    You may notice if you ring them that alot of agents are doing the mute and hang up after a few seconds trick to stay on aftercall. Lazy sods. It different when I do it :P

And no I dont work for esat before anyway points the finger.

Rubbish. I worked for esat and that's not how the phones worked. When the customer puts down the phone, the call ends.
    If you're talking about customers being put on mute rather than hold, well, that was just the done thing, and the hold music in esat was god awful :)

I wouldn't mind if they gave me a staright answer but everyone is telling me something different.
    Going to ring them again on friday if I don't here any word back.
    I have had Eircom ringing and begging me to sign up to broadband. And here I am chasing Iol for something I have already signed up for.
    Do they not want my business??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The guys n gals on the phones are total dipsticks. Go above them. Email the complaints address and if that doesn't get a reply within 24 hours email bill.murphy@esat.com

Originally posted by eth0_
    Rubbish. I worked for esat and that's not how the phones worked. When the customer puts down the phone, the call ends.
    If you're talking about customers being put on mute rather than hold, well, that was just the done thing, and the hold music in esat was god awful :)

Yeah I said mute. I've rand esat about 6times in last week. 3times the agent had mute on and then hung up. I work in a call centre I know all the trick that agents do. Being left on hold is ok when you know there doing something but I'm talkin about no one answering and then been hung up on.

Originally posted by Ryaner
    Yeah I said mute. I've rand esat about 6times in last week. 3times the agent had mute on and then hung up. I work in a call centre I know all the trick that agents do. Being left on hold is ok when you know there doing something but I'm talkin about no one answering and then been hung up on.

Well I worked in support so I can't comment on customer care but I never saw anyone around me acting the b*llocks like that....
    If you feel you're being hung up on, complain to Bill, there'll be logs of who took your calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Originally posted by eth0_
    Well I worked in support so I can't comment on customer care but I never saw anyone around me acting the b*llocks like that....
    If you feel you're being hung up on, complain to Bill, there'll be logs of who took your calls.

Well they are never able to find records of my previous calls when I phone in :-(

I couldnt be bothered complaining. There is no point. I've seen the logs. Your internal program for ref's only shows it when they open the case. As for who the call gets routed to. That doesnt happen. They can tell your times for everything but not the numbers that call you.
    I'm surprised that you work in a support call centre and dont know this. Most of time I did it was because we were finishing the stuff in the case from the last call. We had a hard limit of 25 minutes and 1 minute after call so at times you needed the extra minute or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

*RAISES HAND* just found out now, that they didn't recieve my order either, gawd! Don't have ****in time to be ringing up harrsing esat. Applied online.

They rang me after I emailed them. Pity I was out at the time. Seems like they somehow 'lost' my application. From what I can tell their online order form isn't up to much.
    The same thing happened to another guy I know who ordered online too.

I would advise anyone who applies for Iol to do it via an application form.

is there an application form on the site that you can print or where else could you get one? I'm wary of the 20th February 2004 'free' deadline.

Would like to re-apply through it.

Well I asked for one initially before I ordered online. Perhaps that confused the ppl at Esat.

If you ring them on 1800923111 you can get them to post one out.

You in ITT also I see Gideon!

Must have rang IOL 10 times today trying to sort all this BS out.
    I was on hold waiting for an operator for an average of 5 mins each time at the end of which I was transfered to BT northern ireland who of could told me they could not help me.

I'm not a happy camper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Most famous IOL quote:
    Okay, what is your phone number and I will ring you back within the next hour

yeah right, don't fall for this. If you ring through the number 1904, it won't cost you a cent so demand that you are kept on the line, they will never ring you back.

I ordered in December, and have been billed 74 euro for the broadband I still ahve to recieve, also since I have ISDN Im awaiting an engineer to install it because of some configuration, it will be another week before they actually understand what Im on about!

And if your talking to a ood represntive who actually understands what you are on about, talk his or her name down & surname, it will be great when you ring again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Yea think I have been told that five or six times at ths stage and they never replied. Also I have sent them three emails which they never replied to. In the last email I put the subject 'CONTACT ME IMMEDIATELLY' and in the email wrote 'If you do not contact me immediatelly consider my account terminated'. Guess what I got no reply. What a pack of jokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

Er!!! I'm a nerd!!! er!!!
    Wheres MY BROADBAND!!!

ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys crack me up!

Originally posted by ronoc
    I was transfered to BT northern ireland who of could told me they could not help me.

I'm not a happy camper.

UM...are you sure it wasn't just a person perhaps in 2nd level who is from Northern Ireland?
    BT N.I is, for all intents and purposes, a completely separate company. You wouldn't be transferred to someone there who only deals with BT customers in the UK...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

No. Their phone system is a joke. Twice I've been transferred to BT Northern Ireland via various department queues timing out (and yes, I confirmed it was indeed BT NI I was talking to, and both times they confirmed that they have no idea how I was routed to them).

They're a pack of monkeys in there. It took just 3 months for me to get IOL BB. They mess around with my application for two months, set it up, and mail the modem to the wrong address. I get that sorted, and they don't have my account setup properly. I get that sorted, and finally, yay, broadband. Then they bill me (incorrectly) for 3 times the amount they should have.

I'd say myself and my partner have made about 30 phone calls to them in the process. They do not ring back most the time, if they do, they ring my home number (despite having my work one) and knowing that I won't be there, don't leave a message either.

Monkeys. That said, now that I have it I don't feel as pissed off, but I'll still be writing up a nice formal complaint. People need to complain, instead of just bitching here. Otherwise, it'll continue. That, or sign up with someone else, but, from what I've heard, Eircom aren't a whole lot better.

Tip: When talking to someone on the phone, *keep a record*. Make sure you get their name. If they don't say their name at the start, ask for their name. Keep a log of what you've dealt with. They sure as hell don't.

Originally posted by Static
    No. Their phone system is a joke. Twice I've been transferred to BT Northern Ireland via various department queues timing out (and yes, I confirmed it was indeed BT NI I was talking to, and both times they confirmed that they have no idea how I was routed to them).

Weird. Must be something awry with their phone systems, customer care/support agents would never deal with the north and wouldn't have any contacts in the north....odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

I'm quite aware of that. I used to work for them (many moons ago) and muppetry, while in existance back then, wasn't anywhere near as rampant.

Originally posted by Static
    I'm quite aware of that. I used to work for them

Jeez, no need to get antsy! I used to work for them too.

Originally posted by ronoc
    Well I asked for one initially before I ordered online. Perhaps that confused the ppl at Esat.

If you ring them on 1800923111 you can get them to post one out.

You in ITT also I see Gideon!

yup in ITT...

Anyway, got on to the sales department who obv said they never got the order. So then went to complaints dep. and bitched at them losing all that private information. Both departments said they were "currently investigating your complaint and will revert to you shortly", well that ages ago, so decided to ring that number and get them to send out a paper order form, maybe more luck with that. So said while I'm at it I'll apply online again and may be I'll get lucky.

So I have just gone to apply on the net and BAMN!!!!

ERROR ERROR ERROR!
    You have already applied for Broadband using the phone number

Oh i have, have I, has someone feckin hijacked their site. *SIGH*

Anyway guess ring them up about this tomo. Is it worth it...better ****ing be!

Gid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

That call transfer thing happened to me before.

The BTNI phone system is used as an overflow for the customer service department. All they can do is take a message and get somebody to call you back

Advertisement