Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me Versus IOL Broadband

2»

Comments

Well I rang them yesterday and looks like they got their act together. They said I should have it ibn 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I've had some trouble with them, they really dont explain themselved very well, example...

I was told that my first bill would be €49 (getting the second month free) and that it would be due around the start of January, that was fine by me, but... I got a letter in the door in late December saying that I hadn't paid my bill and that I owed them €67. I rang them immediately and they told me the following:

1) The reason the bill was €67 and not €49 was because the ADSL line was activated before the beginning of the calender month so the balance accrued on top of the €49 (this should be pointed out to non fiscal minded ppl, like me)

2) They try and deduct the money from your account immediately after your line becomes active, again, this wasn't made clear and you would assume that it's gonna come out of your account when they tell you it will (in my case they STATED that the first bill was due early January as i already said.)

Anyways, the main irritant i found with them is their direct debit system, its completely automated and WILL NOT try to retake the money from your account if it fails once, you need to go back into their office and fill out another form. I was under the impression that most companies that use DD systems will try twice and then send you a letter telling you that they couldn't get the money from the account, right?
    Basically i got temporarily disconnected at xmas, couldn't pay them becuase everything was shut, and eventually had to go into their office on the 27th and pay them by cash! But the real sickener was the fact that they then sent me another copy of the above mentioned letter in early January with FINAL NOTICE stamped on it, as you can imagine i went through them.

Also, if they send you a letter advising that you can pay the bill through An Post or the bank, its a crock, believe me i tried throughout this whole mess, you gotta go and pay them a visit in person with cash on hand.

Rant over... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Yeah I tried paying through An Post and the bank, what a joke. Credit card works nicely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

well they HAVE my order now, taken them around 4-5weeks, what with them losing and then recieving the order.

Thats super :dunno: , wonder how much longer now till get modem etc. Fingers crossed, jus wish I didn't cancel my old flat rate package till I had esat.

... So the saga continues...is it worth it... will i ever get it, tune in next month same bat...

At long last it came in the post today :)

Although my account wasn't activated, surprsingly Iol were quick getting that sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Line got activated yesterday, but username and password weren't "linked to the account". Sorted today, and seems to be working fine, though there is a lot of overhead with dsl ( 53.6k is the fastest rate I can get, theoretical max is 64k for a 512k line ).
    In my experience, sales will rarely call you back, but technical support were more efficient, and always called back when they said they would. I hope my usage calculator is set up soon...

got a letter in the post confirming my order today. Think I'm a bit behind but at least stuff is happening.

ah just checked my e-mail, and I have been told that I will have the phone service from monday and broadband from March 9th, and they are crediting my new account with some money for the delay. If they follow through with all that I'll be pretty happy to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

So after being messed around for weeks or months, why exactly is it that you folks persist with them? I was trying to get EsatBt's discount phone package a while back and they couldn't manage that either, so I went with a competitor instead.

As bad as Eircom is, their competitors make them look like geniuses.

well i have a choice really between Esat, eircom and utv and I mainly want it for games.

€65 euro a month inc free local and national calls works out a hell of a lot cheaper than either and esat meant to have decent pings, better than utvs offering anyway. IF utv had the exact same offering I would go with them. I found UTV's support fantastic and loved their flat rate.

• Advertisement

got everything today for it modem, security cds all in one box, plugged and and everything working only took a second!

yay

Alan. *fantastic so far for games* no problems, hope it stays this way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

glad everything worked out good for you, im getting the new PC soon, just dreaming of star wars galaxies ..... :) and X2 : the threat, getting a new athalon 64, drooling already, gonna download the update for XP, im gonna have so many sleepless nights ;) broadband will make ur life happier in so many ways, let me know what you think.

Al.

Advertisement