Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage interset relief at source

Options
  • 03-02-2004 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

My wife was getting her interest relief by refunds from the paye system. She now wants to get it at source as she no longer pays any tax.

Got the TRS form online. It asks for my details as well and asks if this is my first home loan.

Thing is its not my house. Its my wifes house, in her name, her mortgage. How does it work in this situation?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ask in the tax office, they are very reasonable nowadays. Or else try Finfacts

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Without stating the obvious - you have to pay tax to get tax relief, so it's unlikely.

As for you, if the house isn't at least part in your name, well , then the mortgage has nothing to do with you.

Sounds like your in one of those odd situations that the tax code just doesn't really treat that well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Borzoi
    Without stating the obvious - you have to pay tax to get tax relief, so it's unlikely.

As for you, if the house isn't at least part in your name, well , then the mortgage has nothing to do with you.

Sounds like your in one of those odd situations that the tax code just doesn't really treat that well.

Wasn't the whole idea of relief at soucre that non tax payers got relief whereas under the old system you had to have paid tax to get relief on interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

No, I think the idea was to cut down on the bureaucracy of Bank-You-Your Employer-Revenue to Bank-Revenue. Now the revenue gets the information from the two dozen banks and building societies as opposed to the thousands of employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If your wife has little or no income, surely joint assessment would work out better? i.e. between the two of you, X is being earned and Y is being paid in interest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement