Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boro-v- Arsenal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by kida
    The poor fella was sick according to Wenger - a new excuse even for him - what did he do look up and see Keown or just the thought he can't justify the amount of money paid for him.

Of course he was sick,any player would be be sick scoring an own goal like that but you got to hand it to him he placed the ball beautifully into the corner. Surprised wenger saw it.:D

Surprise Surprise Wenger is whinging about the ref not giving his players enough protection. He should use his influence with Dein at the FA to get Mr. Wiley to ref all their matches.

Its well for Arsenal being able to afford to spend 20 million on Reserve players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by kaids
    Much as I expected really. I knew all the usual morons would be going on about Reyes, i'm surprised there hasn't more of the "another red card!" and "another brawl!!111" type stuff though. Time to add a more balanced view on the game:

Arsenal had 2 problems tonight: 1) having to chase the game from the result at highbury, and 2) the lack of players in the final third who were able to hold onto the ball. Arsenal missed the likes of Pires and Henry badly tonight, without them Arsenal had no real front line, and as such Vieira and Edu had to push forward to help out. This meant the back 4 had fup all cover all night and were pretty ragged.

Individual performance wise; Bentley wasn't up to it at all, he was barely there all night. Clichy looks pretty good, he faded in and out of the game though and doesn't look to be a left midfielder, he'd be much more at home at left back. Edu and Vieira did well, they tried their best to give Arsenal some bite in attack, a role they aren't usually accustomed to providing. Parlour isn't suited to right midfield at all, he's not a winger.

Cole and Toure were very good. Keown and Cygan had very poor games, so many times they fumbled and arsed about in front of the goal, Keown paid for it with the red.

Finally Reyes, contrary to what all the Manc supporters who desperately want him to fail will propagandise, didn't do much wrong. Scored an OG which will probably become famous, but Parnaby had it 100% regardless anyway. Up front he showed promise - should have had a peno, and had a few good runs. His main problems were two fold - he didn't have an adequate partner and was working with scraps because he had virtually no supply from the midfield all night, and he was still playing in the mode of a winger... every time he got the ball he went route one, which he's been doing all his career, but from midfield. If he had been partnering Henry it could have worked, but because he was partnering Bentley he became the lead striker and had no experience in the position.

Boro deserved the win, but it wasn't a bad performance by the Arsenal reserves.

Arsenal Reserves??

Give us a break mate where was the balanced view?

Cygan Toure cole keown viera edu parlour

sigh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

I didn't see the match, nor have I ever seen reyes so I can't comment on how good or bad he is/was. All I know is it is very harsh to criticise a 20 year old from a foreign country after only 2 games. The lad should be given a chance but then again that is one of the things about the English game, people or just waiting for a chance to criticise. However I find it amusing that the Arsenal fans are so quick to defend Reyes even though they amongst others were/are very quick to point out the faults of Christiano Ronaldo. Don't get me wrong, you have every right to defend him but don't be hipocritical about the thing.

Any way thats beside the point. I'm sure Arsenal fans will loose a lot of sleep after this loss, I just hope it won't be the only one they have this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What . . Arsenal LOST !!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

the maturaty of utd fans here amaze me!
    arsenal's season is now over because of this :rolleyes:

reyes played ok but not great at all. supply was a big factor and it didnt help once keown got sent of, he looks passed it for me

it is unfair to judge a player with only 110 minutes of football played
    this six monthes will be an introduction for him.
    next season will be his first

remember when pires came to arsenal
    everyones said he was **** and couldnt hack it in the premiership
    he is now regarded as the best attacking midfielder in the league (he was player of the year too in 2002)
    same could said about henry, it took him about 6 months to settle in proberly,now regardeded as the best player in the world
    nuff said really

to be honest i was waiting for all the aba's to come on here and talk about the waste of 17million. it was inevitable unless he scored a hat trick and set up 2 more

about the og he scored well all i can say is that at least he was trying to block the shot and the edge of his own area .ie help out his team rather than wait for the ball and do funky step overs that look great but come to nothing.
    At least he was tracking back to try and win the ball. Doesnt sound like a mercenary to me.

all in all fair play to middleborough they deserved over the 2 legs but when you think of the 2 league games and the fa cup games where arsenal put 12 goals past them the huge gulf in depth and class becomes aparant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Pires - best attacking midfielder in the league - what planet are you on.

Hes not fit to lace scholes boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'm delighted the final is between two 'lesser' teams and I hope Bolton stuff those overpaid underachievers in Smogland in the final.

Pires - best attacking midfielder in the league - what planet are you on.

planet earth that doesnt but into english media ****e
    if that wa s the case then owen would be the best player in the world ever

scholes second best imo

Originally posted by jank
    the maturaty of utd fans here amaze me!

it is unfair to judge a player with only 110 minutes of football played
    this six monthes will be an introduction for him.
    next season will be his first

remember when pires came to arsenal
    everyones said he was **** and couldnt hack it in the premiership
    he is now regarded as the best attacking midfielder in the league (he was player of the year too in 2002)
    same could said about henry, it took him about 6 months to settle in proberly,now regardeded as the best player in the world
    nuff said really

to be honest i was waiting for all the aba's to come on here and talk about the waste of 17million. it was inevitable unless he scored a hat trick and set up 2 more

Thats not what you,ve been posting about Christian Ronaldo for the past 6 months.

The reaction on here has more to do with showing up some of the Arsenal supporters Hypocrisy rather than slag off the player who we all know will need time to settle. Pity Yez couldn't see past the opportunity to slag him off and afford him the same time to settle.

scholes second best imo

we will agreee to differ so.

Scholes performs at a consistenelty high level every time. Pires often drifts in and and out of games and can be anonymous in other games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Pires has scored a bag load more goals this season than scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

The title of this thread is 'Boro-v-Arsenal'.

All we should be doing in this thread is discussing that game, and on the basis of that individual game, Reyes was poor.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Thats not what you,ve been posting about Christian Ronaldo for the past 6 months.

The reaction on here has more to do with showing up some of the Arsenal supporters Hypocrisy rather than slag off the player who we all know will need time to settle. Pity Yez couldn't see past the opportunity to slag him off and afford him the same time to settle.

really muppet id like to see that then so please post some proof of that
    starting six months ago.......

crap sig by the way

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Emboss
    Arsenal Reserves??

Give us a break mate where was the balanced view?

Cygan Toure cole keown viera edu parlour

sigh :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:

Of the above 3 are first teamers. Couple of rotation players and the rest were backup/youngsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by robbie1876
    The title of this thread is 'Boro-v-Arsenal'.

All we should be doing in this thread is discussing that game, and on the basis of that individual game, Reyes was poor.

you must admit that he scored some goal... :)

really muppet id like to see that then so please post some proof of that
    starting six months ago.......

What Planet are you on? Even afellow Arsenal supporter (Gandalf) had to tell you tp drop it as it was getting boring the other day.

crap sig by the way

So I hear, Pity Wenger had to spend 20 million to find out.:D

• Advertisement

Pires has scored a bag load more goals this season than scholes

Prem League only

Pires - 8 goals from 23(1 as sub) appearances
    Scholes - 7 goals from 16(4 as sub) apperances

Pires has 3 others - Scholes has 2 others

Henry_14 - wait until you go to big school and do proper maths

Really, anything to back that up?

I took the liberty of find the first two threads about Ronaldo I could find, the one when he signed for Utd, and after his first appearance.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=109713&perpage=40&highlight=ronaldo%20united&pagenumber=1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=110503&highlight=ronaldo+united

Couldn't find anything like whats going on from the UTD fans in the recent Arsenal threads. Mostly the 2 threads are Man UTD fans creaming themselves, though i did find some posts by arsenal fans in it...
    Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    this guy was amazing last week. a good buy for any team IMO

and another

very similar to what i said after the Sporting v Man Utd game. the lad is a genius and is going to be huge in a few years. i would like him at Arsenal

Looking at the following match report threads when UTD were poor against Wolves and then lost to Southampton i still couldn't find much (especially not the likes of HAHHAHAHH UNITED LOST!!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Heres a suggestion, when people make stupid comments, ignore them!!
    Otherwise every thread ends up like this

threads always end up like this because of comments like
    old ugley mug (keown) just sent off.

Reyes looks like a waste of money-potential my ar$e

Prem League only

Pires - 8 goals from 23(1 as sub) appearances
    Scholes - 7 goals from 16(4 as sub) apperances

Pires has 3 others - Scholes has 2 others

Henry_14 - wait until you go to big school and do proper maths

Hmm by my retarded calulations that 11 for pires and 9 for scoles???

Im confused cos is 11 not more than 9??

Oh and **** you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hardly bag loads though is it?

Have you an official definition for the quantity of a "bag"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

do you?

loads is more than 2 anyway...

Seems to me youw ere proven wrong and now are trying to get outta looking like a fewl.

Originally posted by Henry_14

Well, I imagine most people with an ounce of common sense would say bag loads is a damn sight more than 2

It is more is it not.? Regardless of the quantity?

in the league - Pires has scored 1 goal more having started 7 games more - using simple maths means scholes has a better goal scoring average. i.e. 7/16 vs 8/23

(to be pedantic I could get the total minutes if you like) - i also can't be bothered with the other games as they will prob illustrate the same - scholes was injured for a long period of the CL.

Originally posted by Henry_14

Well, I imagine most people with an ounce of common sense would say bag loads is a damn sight more than 2.

I'm not saying that there is a scientifically determined amount equivalent to bag loads, simply that most people would regard it to be more than 2.

I think you will find that everyone agrees.

henry, keep digging that hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

henry, keep digging that hole

Don't think he can go any deeper

The amount of goals is not important its the number of goals per minute played.

Paul Scholes Stats For Season

Name Paul Scholes
    Team Manchester United
    Total Appearances 16
    Starts 12
    Substituted 1
    Total Minutes Played 1161
    Avg Minutes Played Per Start 96.75
    Goals 7
    Avg Goal Mins When Starting 27.8
    Avg Mins Played/Goal Scored 166
    Goals Scored As Sub 0

Robert Pires Stats For Season

Team Arsenal
    Total Appearances 22
    Starts 21
    Substituted 10
    Total Minutes Played 1809
    Avg Minutes Played Per Start 86.14
    Goals 8
    Avg Goal Mins When Starting 21.4
    Avg Mins Played/Goal Scored 226
    Goals Scored As Sub 0

• Advertisement

And 226mins is bag loads more than 166mins, eh Henry_14?

QED?

and maybe one day if Scholes signs for Boro, it'll be relevant

:rolleyes:

Of the above 3 are first teamers. Couple of rotation players and the rest were backup/youngsters.

they're seasoned first team players for gods sake cop on.

Originally posted by Emboss
    they're seasoned first team players for gods sake cop on.
    and yet, when everyone is fit, all but 3 of them can't get into the team... reserves.

what was the strongest team Arsenal could have put out last night, barring injuries,suspsensions and African nations cup.

what was the strongest team Arsenal could have put out last night, barring injuries,suspsensions and African nations cup.

They could have played Henry If he hadn.t pissed of Mills in the League Match.

Wengere wisely IMO decided not to risk it. He is the only one that would have made a difference IMO.

on this pires scholes lark

pries plays on the left wing
    scholes plays as a second stirker behind Horseface

well correct me if im wrong but dont forwards/strikers get more goals in general!?
    Fantastic start for ronaldo . Its early days yet but on first impressions it looks like yet another master stroke for FERGIE.

above from muppet after ronaldo's best performance of the season (his first 30 minutes)

if you look at that thread its mostly utds fans creaming themselves cause of one or two step overs then a few months later when he is found out there saying give him more time etc etc

cant have it both ways im afraid

and i think gandalf told me to quit it because i used the term knoob jockey!

Fantastic start for ronaldo . Its early days yet but on first impressions it looks like yet another master stroke for FERGIE.

above from muppet after ronaldo's best performance of the season (his first 30 minutes)

Jez I really went over the top there.:rolleyes:

cant have it both ways im afraid

and i think gandalf told me to quit it because i used the term knoob jockey!

You should read it again.

I,m going back to ignoring you now.:D :D

I,m going back to ignoring you now. [/B]

well that was my overall aim muppet;)
    now where is my bicycle pump?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jank, The Muppet and Tinky are all in grave danger of being banned from Boards entirely and forever.

I'm tired off all 2/3 of you. Quit it now, this is your last warning.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Heres a suggestion, when people make stupid comments, ignore them!!
    Otherwise every thread ends up like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I think ye should all stop having a go at eachother,especially when DeVore gets involved

and yet, when everyone is fit, all but 3 of them can't get into the team... reserves.

You can call them what you like, the fact is for once arsenal were out played and out classed,

end of story bye bye arsenal!

maybe next year...but they've been saying that for a while now...it's getting a bit boring...a bit like Liverpool

oh well, i guess they can draw strength from Man Utd being outclassed by a division 1 side then :)

oh well, i guess they can draw strength from Man Utd being outclassed by a division 1 side then :)

Makes no odds where they draw strength from if they're always going to be runners up :ninja:

• Advertisement

I gather you mean W.B.A.

Now for that match thats a team you can call reserve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Have to agree. Utd put a youthful defence out in the Carling Cup whereas Wenger was always more cautious. Utd played people like Pugh and Bardsley etc whereas in the Boro game for instance they had Cygan the great, 2 english internationals and Toure who is "the find of the season" according to Arsenal fans.

Originally posted by James R
    Have to agree. Utd put a youthful defence out in the Carling Cup whereas Wenger was always more cautious. Utd played people like Pugh and Bardsley etc whereas in the Boro game for instance they had Cygan the great, 2 english internationals and Toure who is "the find of the season" according to Arsenal fans.
    I agree that Man Utd fielded a reserve team for all intensive purposes, i was merely pointing out the foolishness of trying to make out like Arsenal had anything like their best team out against Boro (well, and that the team that got to the semis did very well considering their average age)

Incidently, the Man Utd team that was knocked out by WBA in the 4th round was:

Manchester United: Carroll, Bardsley, O'Shea, Tierney, Pugh, Fletcher, Kleberson, Butt, Richardson, Ronaldo, Bellion. Subs: Williams, Eagles, Wood, Nardiello, Jones.

So you've got an Irish international (who was rated similarily by Utd fans as Toure is now by Arse fans), N.Ireland's keeper, a Scottish international, a world cup winner, an english international, and Ronaldo (he's an international now too isn't he?). Despite this I wouldn't have expected anything from them against a pretty good side like WBA, so i don't think its fair to expect great things from an Arsenal side, which admittedly was more experienced than the Utd side above, against a very good Boro side.

OK so it was'nt to bad a team,but there were still some people in it that dropped the standards of the whole team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

I disagree Kaids, the Arsenal team, while undoubtedly not full strength was far stronger than Utds imo.

Arsenal had, as I've already pointed out, a fairly strong defence - most Premiership teams would be delighted with Toure, Cygan, Keown and Cole. Utd's defence of Bardsley, O'Shea, Tierney, Pugh was quite weak. O'Shea being the only big name there really. Wouldn't talk Carroll up too much either. Hes not first choice for Northern Ireland or anything which is fair enough because Maik Taylor has been good this season.

fletcher and Ronaldo may be internationals but they're still young. Ronaldo was capped pretty much because he became well known after moving to Old Trafford, and lets face it you don't have to be the next Pele to break into the Scottish squad. Kleberson had just returned from injury at this time either. On the other hand Arsenal had Vieira (WC winner), Parlour (England international) and Edu!

Basically when it got to the latter stages Wenger put out a fairly strong side and just gave his younger attacking players a run.

I'm not criticising that but what I am saying is that I think Arsenal but a lot more emphasis on this competition than they make out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement