Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on older passats

Options
  • 03-02-2004 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My trusty 405 died (well it's actually fine just has too many little things need doing to it, including a new heater matrix, which is a dash out job in my version.

Anyway I'm currently driving a 91 polo coupe, which is fine (in a tiny, crap braking, uncomfortable seats kind of way)

This is purely a stop gap till I could raise a bit of cash.

I drove a 95 passat tdi on saturday. it's the previous version to current with 120K miles on it, but the timing belt was done at 117.

It needs the following things sorted:
    Passenger electric window, garage says the switch is unhooked cos the drivers one is dodgy...... not sure what to think

dodgy drivers electric window, it's getting power but not working, broken drive from the motor to window, fixable.

the drivers electric mirror is helt together with silicone

the boot is currently opened with a cable tie.

none of these are massive problems, and otherwise the bodywork is clean and the interior is spotless, the engine drives great too, very smooth.

It needs some new tires as well.

So apart from the above are there any special known issues with these cars that I should know about.

I'm expecting to get it for a grand, with everything bar the tires sorted. I never get a garage to fit tires as I like to spend a few quid extra myself for some good ones.

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    I'm expecting to get it for a grand, with everything bar the tires sorted.

What are you waiting for? Looks like a bargain to me. Two comments:

- make sure you do get everything sorted, have seen deals in the lower price ranges where promises are just promises

- if it's the 90BHP TDI, it's kinda sluggish, if it's the 110BHP you're laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Just make sure they fix all those things, even though they are small they can cost alot to put right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

It's a 90,

anyone know what sort of loading I could expect with fbd for getting it chipped?

I'm 24 full licence 2 years NCB

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

The first thing I would do, is price getting everything that needs to be done by
    another garage..

VW parts are expensive and the labour also adds to that..

On top of all that, these are the problems they are telling you about but doesnt
    necessarily mean thats all that wrong with the car//

You maybe getting the car for €1k but if its gonna cost you €2k to get it all fixed
    up and on the road, personally Id go looking for a car worth €3k that was ready
    to drive away..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Car and price sounds OK. But I think you'll notice a big change switching from a Peugeot 405 to Passat. The 405 is a nimble handling car with a smooth ride and comfy seats. A 1995 Passat will feel like a truck in comparison.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Brian D3: that's the kind of thing I was afraid of, although after a month in an old polo everything is starting to feel comfy.

ToxicPaddy: it's not going to cost close to 2 grand to get it fixed up. I don't care how expensive VW parts are. that's why we have breakers.

I did a similar amount of work to the 405 when I got it, shocks, window motor, central locking motor and 4 new pioneer speakers cost less than €600

If I go to a main VW dealer for parts and labour sure it might get up near your figures, but I'm not likely to do that now am I

Advertisement