Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 international season-ticket-why?

• 03-02-2004 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I'm surprised that there hasn't been (until now!!!) a thread devoted to the FAI's (IMO) ridiculous decision to "bundle" the 3 internationals at Lansdowne. Taking my example-and others are free to have a go at me if they wish- I live in the seaside town of Bangor, which is in the North and roughly 100 miles from Dublin. I wanted to see Brazil-well, because they ARE Brazil, and, from the early reports, it won't be "A Brazil XI" but a fair smattering of the famous faces. But, when I e-mailed the FAI HQ, I recieved a frankly rather insulting e-mail from Mr Fran Rooney (Don't worry, that's him "named and shamed"!) justifying the FAI's policy. What does any other person think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136385

Everyone wants to see Brazil, maybe that's why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Because it makes not a jot of difference to those people who will go and see the games no matter who is playing. Whether it be Brazil or Uzbekistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Because it makes not a jot of difference to those people who will go and see the games no matter who is playing. Whether it be Brazil or Uzbekistan.

Well said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by CHRIS GREER
    I live in the seaside town of Bangor, which is in the North and roughly 100 miles from Dublin. I wanted to see Brazil-well, because they ARE Brazil

Three tickets are far cheaper than the airfare to Brazil to see one of their home internationals, isn't it? Or would that be worth it, because, well, they ARE Brazil...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Of course everyone wants to see Ireland get the best support as possible so will back the FAI with this but I just wonder how many of you backing them up actually went to see Ireland-v-Canada a few months ago? I was told in the other thread that you aren't a real fan if you don't go to see Ireland as much as possible but nobody gave me a response to this post:
    taking your assumption that a real fan would take any opportunity to see their team play. Ireland has a population of nearly 4mil, nearly every Irish person is an Ireland supporter but considering age and other factors lets just say there is 2mil Ireland supporters in Ireland.

When Ireland played Canada there was 20,000 fans at the match. You said that a real fan would take any opportunity to see their team, therefore all of the "real fans" would have turned up to the Canada match. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say 10,000 fans couldn't make it for whatever reason. therefore there is only 30,000 "real fans" in Ireland.

2mil/30,000 = 66.67. Therefore, you are saying that 1 in every 66 Ireland supporters and 1 in every 130 of the population are actually real fans? You can't say it was impossible to get tickets because the stadium was only half full.
    I am an Ireland football fanatic but I shouldn't be forced to go to a mediocre match when I could watch it in a better atmosphere and a few drinks. There will be a great atmosphere at Lansdowne when Ireland play Brazil which is, by far, the biggest reason I would want to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

People complain when the FAI try to get some money together by selling the right to sky, people complain when they try to maximize profits from 3 matches (cos otherwise they wouldnt sell to the 2 crappy matches). People complain FAI dont have money for a stadium and they complain that they dont do enough for grass roots football in ireland. I ponder where else they can get money from if no one will let them run the business aspect. Sure lets all have cheap internationals, a 100,000 capacity stadium, free trrips to the world cup and professional refs and coaches at grass roots level. O wait they cant afford it with the money they make from this kinda stuff.

I know they are a bunch of tards but they do need money. If you wannas ee Brazil you'll have to pay out that bit more for all 3. You could probably sell tickets to the other 2 matches here for cheap and recoup some of the money. Or you could just go to all 3.

You cant have it all people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by eirebhoy

I am an Ireland football fanatic but I shouldn't be forced to go to a mediocre match when I could watch it in a better atmosphere and a few drinks. There will be a great atmosphere at Lansdowne when Ireland play Brazil which is, by far, the biggest reason I would want to go.

but if everyone had the same attitude, which a good few people do, they all go to the pubs for the mediocre games. its like voting- you say one vote doesnt really count and we all know it doesnt really anyway. BUT once you have everyone else thinking the same thing, nobody votes therefore anyone can get into power.

whereas if everyone voted, the majority of the people would be happy as they voted for the government, same at a football match, if everyone turns up, there'l be a good atmosphere and everyone will be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by CHRIS GREER
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been (until now!!!) a thread devoted to the FAI's (IMO) ridiculous decision to "bundle" the 3 internationals at Lansdowne. Taking my example-and others are free to have a go at me if they wish- I live in the seaside town of Bangor, which is in the North and roughly 100 miles from Dublin. I wanted to see Brazil-well, because they ARE Brazil, and, from the early reports, it won't be "A Brazil XI" but a fair smattering of the famous faces. But, when I e-mailed the FAI HQ, I recieved a frankly rather insulting e-mail from Mr Fran Rooney (Don't worry, that's him "named and shamed"!) justifying the FAI's policy. What does any other person think?

to weed out the plastic hammer wavers, from the real die hard "support ireland for more than 1 game" fans

excellent move by the fai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Ye good move by them. Im no die hard ireland fanatic and all i want to see is Brazil and was thinking about going along especially if my mates brother gets picked but if he doesn't then ill definitely be watching it from my tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

It's a bit of a pain in the arse for anyone not from dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

The same as every other Ireland game is, even so, believe it or not some of us culchies do get to go and see Ireland matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by SheroN
    It's a bit of a pain in the arse for anyone not from dublin.

Very True.:D

Most of the people that replied to this backed the FAI on this so I assume you all went to the Canada match. I just want to say, you could have at least sang a song, you nearly put me to sleep.;) Someone said this will keep all the Plastic Hammer fans away, I am expecting a full house, therefore I am expecting to see over 20,000 plastic hammer fans.

I will admit that, for some reason, when I read the first post I assumed he was a "dolly (:confused:)" fan, even though I am the same, which I find quite strange and unexplainable.

BTW - I don't want this thread to die until at least one person (that goes to every match) agree's with me.;)

Most of the people that replied to this backed the FAI on this so I assume you all went to the Canada match. I just want to say, you could have at least sang a song, you nearly put me to sleep.;) Someone said this will keep all the Plastic Hammer fans away, I am expecting a full house, therefore I am expecting to see over 20,000 plastic hammer fans.

I will admit that, for some reason, when I read the first post I assumed he was a "dolly (:confused:)" fan, even though I am the same, which I find quite strange and unexplainable.

BTW - I don't want this thread to die until at least one person (that goes to every match) agree's with me.;)

I am a die hard Ireland fan, I was at the Canada game (not one of my better days)

I am bringing my plastic hammer to the 3 friendlies just for you Eirebhoy! :D *my tickets are in the post* :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Didn't manage to get tickets for these 3 matches. Woke up 2 hours late, so can't blame anyone.
    Anyway, I think it's a really good move on the FAI's part. But does anyone think they should do it for the upcoming France match?

Originally posted by Exit
    Anyway, I think it's a really good move on the FAI's part. But does anyone think they should do it for the upcoming France match?
    I don't understand what you mean? Do what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Sell the tickets in a group of 3, because I'm sure the demand for the France match will be similar to the Brazil match.

But, either way, all the qualifying matches are certain sellouts as they have been for years. The FAI didn't do this to keep the "one goers" away, they done it to increase revenue so since there is going to be full houses anyway, there is no point on them doing it for the qualifiers.

Anyway, it is near to impossible to get a ticket for a competitive match anymore so it will only be the usual fans and the office staff going.

But, either way, all the qualifying matches are certain sellouts as they have been for years. The FAI didn't do this to keep the "one goers" away, they done it to increase revenue so since there is going to be full houses anyway, there is no point on them doing it for the qualifiers.

Anyway, it is near to impossible to get a ticket for a competitive match anymore so it will only be the usual fans and the office staff going.

Too true eirebhoy....

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Anyway, it is near to impossible to get a ticket for a competitive match anymore so it will only be the usual fans and the office staff going

The so called Office Staff/Corporate people are as much part of Internationals as the usual fans and provide that much needed revenue when the 'real' fans fail to turn up.It reminds me of keano's famous prawn sandwich waffle.If there were no office fans in sport it would return to the dark ages and wave goodbye to all the revenue streams top sport requires.

• Advertisement

Loads of tickets are getting sold on Ebay. This auction has 2 days to go and it has already got a bid of just under Eur150:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2786342321&category=53636

I am going a bit off topic now but I was really suprised to see someone bid aporx. Eur290 for a pair of tickets for the Ireland-v-Wales rugby international.:eek:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2223241919&category=25611

Also, Eur1,200 for 4 tickets to Ireland-v-England:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2223612352&category=25611

Madness but fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

I might have a extra ticket for brazil game .If it happens I will offer it here at face value preferably not to a 1 goer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by Exit
    Didn't manage to get tickets for these 3 matches. Woke up 2 hours late, so can't blame anyone.
    I fully expect them to sell the tickets for the home qualifiers in blocks this time around because lets face it after the home game against France we could be playing for pride and hoping for the Swiss to slip up... at which point the fair weather supporters will no longer be flocking to the games in which case the FAI will at least have secured the cash beforehand.

September 4 2004
    Ireland v Cyprus
    France v Israel
    Switzerland v Faroe Islands

September 8 2004
    Switzerland v Ireland
    Faroe Islands v France
    Israel v Cyprus

October 9 2004
    France v Ireland
    Israel v Switzerland
    Cyprus v Faroe Islands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

smiaras

What I don't understand is if people are so desperate to see Brazil why didn't they just pay the sixty euro to see them.

Cause they sold out in 20 mins

Advertisement