Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Question

Options
  • 03-02-2004 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully this is in the right part...

I'm just wondering, does anyone know what the word that describes a person who lacks rythm while swimming?
    Mainly, people can swim naturally, but 1 in every 500 or so people can't get the "kick-kick" rythm whilst swimming. Instead they may kick one leg, and then the outher, but out of sync.
    I was wondering does anyone know the name of this disorder/inability (lack of a better word)?
    The reason is that I'm teaching someone with the inability, and I'm trying to look up stuff on the net about it, but I don't know the word.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Probably better off in the following forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8

Bit of a difference between swimming and scuba diving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Bit of a difference between swimming and scuba
    diving :)

yeah about forty-five kilos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

and possibly 15 to 30 or so meters ...... straight down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thats a negative.

When your scuba diving, I assume u still kick ur legs? That "kick-kick" motion that you assume comes naturally doesn't always come naturally. One in every 500 are effected by this lack of rythm, and thats what I'm querying about. I said swimming, as thats usually where people find that they have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

I have seen a lof strange kicking after teaching over 600 students from beginners to dive leaders. And if you ask me i would say that over half out of a group of 16 newbies have that problem you described, but hey, mayby divers are a special breed :cool:

In scuba you dont have to swing your legs like this or that, just put your fins on and you will get some kind of propulsion annyway, even if its wrong by the book. You can combine different techniques or not techniques to paddle around.

All i want to say is that it`s probaly not that visual the problem that you talk about for divers (instructors) because you dont really need any technique too get propulsion when scuba diving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe try teaching them to swim without the aid of their arms? As in arms straight out in front and propelling themselves only through kicking?

I for one can't master the breast stroke kick for the life of me, managed to learn the side crawl kick eventually - maybe start them off on that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Okay we spammed you a bit there, sorry. I don't know the word you looking for but I'll ask around as I know some swimming instructors. Its probably known as Goofy Legs or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    I for one can't master the breast stroke kick for the life of me

Don't worry about it; just try to imitate a frog, and go from there. Its one of the best strokes, as its easy, doesn't tire you quickly, and when on the beach you can keep your head up, swim around, and lok at the talent :cool:

Advertisement