Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Player question

Options
  • 03-02-2004 5:00pm

Hi,

I just purchased a DVD player for the first time and am impressed however I am suffering one slight annoyance.

When being played the DVD seems to freeze for about two seconds and then suddenly starts playing normally again. This can happen on average 2 or 3 times over the course of the full movie.

This has happened on lots of different DVD's so I'm guessing its either my player or its just a normal problem that happens to everyone? Which?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

It's most likely to do with layers

most dvd's are actually two dvd's pressed into one (called dvd9)

when the player goes from one layer to another it sometimes skips on certain machines

some are better than others at handleing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Yeah, its to do with the disk rather than the player. You'll find that most DVD discs now have a warning on the case stating that it's a dual layer disc, and their may be a slight pause when switching layers.

I'm surprised that a DVD player manufacturer hasn't come up with a way around it yet, in the form of a small buffer memory, much like the anti-skip protection on a portable CD player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Normally though if it is switching layers should it only happen once?

Advertisement