Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter: Source of Evil or Yummy Goodness

• 03-02-2004 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Your opinions, please, with regard to butter.

I was of the belief that it is a major source of ill health, in that it clotted the arteries and veins, and led to a build up of fat in the body.

Now I've been told it is nothing like this, that it is yummy and should be welcomed and hugged, so to speak.

Any thoughts yourselves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i started frying my eggs with it and not oil and hmmmm dad said it was worse than oil, either way i use it on my sandwhiches and its ment to be more fatty than oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's not more fatty, just has more saturated fat which is thought to cause high cholestorol. Then again, latest evidence points to diet having little effect on cholestorol and drugs are really the only way to go for lowering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

See, this is the thing, most folk would nod and agree to the statement that it is high in saturated fats. But is that a bad thing? Is it something that a person with an active lifestyle could combat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

Like most things, I'd imagine it's fine in small doses, and not so fine in large doses.

If you are in good health, and reasonably fit then by all means have a little butter on your toast. Plenty of people lived well into their nineties and beyond and had butter every day.

But, then again, if you are overweight, unfit and have high cholestorol or high blood pressure then it's something you might have to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Mnn. I live with a french dude who's a magical chef. Everything he prepares and anything I have ever seen french cuisine wise is loaded with full fat dairy products such as butter. Now the French I think outlive us over here and they are also have the highest number of smokers in the world methinks, so it makes you wonder how much "healthy" living does for you.

Personally, if its not full fat and preferably triple strong, I aint interested. Not happy with toast until the butter is dribbling down my fingers.

K-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For the love of God, unless you eat a pound of butter every day, what's the harm in using a little of it. Everyone knows that it tastes far superior to any sh***y "butter" blend margarine. When frying a steak, heat oil and some butter (You need the oil cause the butter will burn otherwise at the high heat required to fry a steak well), slap the steak on, fry and enjoy.

there is no substitute for butter tastewise. I've never in my life bought margarine, or any of those insipid oily tasting spreads. A little of what you like won't do you any harm. Just don't do what my granduncle did, which was put about an inch thick layer of butter on everything he eat. That might have contributed to his heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

i wont touch butter on my sambos, just hate the taste of it.
    I put it on toast alright but I can't have any little bits not soaked in, and can't have too much of it either. yuk yuk.

I was ordering a sambo in a shop one day, and I said no butter, just a little bit of mayo please, and this skinny knacker biatch says, "oh mayo is more fattening for you than butter", eh thanks for that ... stupidass

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I don't care whither it's evil or not
    butter is yummmmmmy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by commuterised
    i wont touch butter on my sambos, just hate the taste of it.

Uck, I can agree with you on that! I won't put it on bread unless it's toasted or I'm having the bread with something warm (like scrambled eggs, so the butter melts anyway).

Don't use margarine though, ever. It's EVIL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm the opposite, I can't stand melted butter. Have to leave my toast cool before I can eat it.

On the other hand if I'm eating garlic bread, I'll scrape off any butter that hasn't melted in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 fig

rant warning......

ye have to wonder where all this wisdom of butter and saturated fats came from. oh yes. Experts in the nutrition feild. The same ones who thought that since starving children in africa did well on a protein rich diet, (read eat a lot of meat) so could the western world benefit the same way. now those same experts are saying a lot of meat is bad for you. whoops, sorrry about that, chaps. Latest evidence my arse. I eat butter like it going out of style. I think about a pound in about 10 days. Its a lot. I have it on my potatoes, brocolli, cauilflower, toast, and on special occasions when I'm having chips I'll have chips and butter. yum. The best guide for healthy eating is the natural guide that everyone was born with - your tounge. Start off with all natural foods, keep away from the processed stuff and ye cant go wrong with relying on your tounge.

That artifical stuff is so processed - how could anyone think it was good for ye. Marketing. Ye's are suckers to fall for it for such reductionist arguments like the sheep bleating all fat bad, low fat good. Arrghhh!!!

/end rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I used to eat butter out of the carton with a spoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

As butter is produced from cows milk, and we are not cows, or calfs who need four stomachs to digest the stuff. It is therefore not a natural food for humans.

It is a fact that the only milk that humans with one stomach can digest properly is their own Mothers. The nearest substitute to a human mothers milk is Goats milk.

The vast majority of citizens have been brainwashed from childhood to think that cows milk is good for them. Hence heart disease is now Irelands number one killer.

The only natural food that humans can obtain good health and natural energy from is Fruit, Vegetables, and lots of water. In the main.

P. :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

The vast majority of citizens have been brainwashed from childhood to think that cows milk is good for them. Hence heart disease is now Irelands number one killer.

Aye...But that isn't totally true. Once before pasturization(however you spell it) we didn't drink much cow milk or any milk if you didn't live on a farm to get it really fresh. Back then almost all kids had Ricketts and other bone related disease. Milk is one of the best sources of there is as long as you get plenty of sunlight to transfer it to VitD...........So I say drink UP!

I think recently it has been proven that butter is actually better for us than margarine. Ummmmm...Go Butter! I eat real butter with my stuff!

~DR~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Driftingrain,

It's tough enough for the body to deal with human milk after weaning age, but at least this was meant for humans with one stomach.

Cow's milk contains a much higher amount of the protein 'casein' than human milk. Casein is one of the strongest wood glues known to mankind. It literally sticks to the walls of the stomach and lining of the entestines. The maddening thing is we inherently instinctively know this but we simply prefer not to think about it.

It is completely unnatural for any mammal to drink milk of any kind after weaning. It is even more unnatural to drink the milk of a completely different species.

Apparent health food Bull****. . The dairy industry has literally been 'milking' us for years. Not only did they manage at one time to make milk compulsory in schools, but even today doctors, dieticians and a host of other 'experts' still insist that milk is good for us and without it our bones and teeth would crumble.

Have you ever seen a great ape? Do they have bones in their body? I should say so - big, strong and very healthy bones, and they are vegetarians!.

P. :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

Paddy20,

XOXOXOXOXO

Noted my friend!

~DR~;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

I shared a house with a German couple for a year, and they used butter to cook with, on everything, probably even on their skin. They cdn't get over the fact that it was so cheap here, since apparently Irish butter is a premium product in Europe.
    Having said which, apparently about 70% of the World's population are lactose intolerant. The figure is considerably less in Europe.
    I grew up on a dairy farm, and drank loads of milk. I don't anymore. I'm just not sure it's as healthy as we were led to believe.
    Butter's yummy, tho'!

Advertisement