Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North West Spain - holidays

• 03-02-2004 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Anybody know anything about the north west of Spain -- general Vigo area for holidays and Accomodation?

I need a break from the rubbishy Med. coast for a change!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 slieveb

Have passed through Vigo area a few times. Couldn't claim to know it well. Alot greener than other parts of Spain, it gets a reasonable amount of rain. Cooler too, obviously enough. As a result, it ain't a resort type of place, though by Irish standards, it's still good weather. Reasonable scenery, Santiago de Compostela is in that area, famous pilgramage site. Good seafood. Less than an hour from Portuguese border. Northern Portugal has great scenery, mountains, Douro valley and some interesting towns, especially Guimaraes.

Don't really know what you're into (I don't visit this site too often) but hope that helps in some small way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I lived in Vigo for 4 months in 1999 as part of my Spanish degree. The city isn't particularly beautiful, but the area is lovely, and if you go down to the marina, or out to one of the (many) beaches, there are lovely views across the 'Ría' over to the Cíes islands (a must-do trip), Cangas and up as far as Pontevedra. The people are *wonderful*, and the night life is great at the weekend. Start off at the old part of the city (past the Puerta del Sol) around 12-1, work your way across to the area around Churruca at about 2.30 or 3, then if you feel like it, head out to a club (out by the beach at Samil) about 4 or 4.30. Don't know what the prices are like know but it was dead cheap back when I was there. There is a bar behind the big church near the train station (can't remember what the church is called) called Sete Mares that was nice for a night in the pub - it was styled somewhat like a bar here, but was not an Irish bar. The Irish bars there are dire (bare wooden furniture and specials on hot whiskey or Irish coffee).

A day trip to Santiago de Compostela, or down as far as Viana do Castelo (Portugal) by train is possible, but if you want to go as far as A Coruña (north) or Oporto (South), you'd need to stay overnight, really. I'd really recommend Viana if you get a nice day (haven't been to Oporto), it's so similar and so different to Spain at the same time.

There's a lovely park up behind the city centre on a hill - great views of the whole city, and the park's lovely.

Ok, I guess you know by now I loved it there, though I'm afraid I can't give any recommendations on accommodations. There are plenty of small restaurants around, just follow any of the streets off Rua Urzaiz or the Gran Víá. If you like seafood, you're in for a treat as there's all sorts, and it's dead cheap compared to here. The food in general is great though. As you go down towards the Marina, places are dearer, though when I say that, I mean 'comparable to here'.

No, I don't work for the Galician tourist board :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Thanks lads! Sounds like a pretty good place - now i've got to figure out how to get there!

As for the Irish bars - like yourself I avoid them like the plague so that won't be a problem!

You've probably figured it out by now, but there is a small airport in Vigo. Also, a lot of people from that part of Spain use Porto airport in Portugal, whish has daily flights from London, Paris, Brussels, etc.

Oh yeah, and I agree with dún-do bheal. The Ria is very nice and so is Viana. Porto (Oporto) is definitely worth a visit. Not the prettiest place in the world, but very interesting. As the Rough Guide says " a bizarre mix of the First and Third World". All in all, a worthwhile trip.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement