Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDWow Surcharge No More....On Chart CDs Anyhow

• 03-02-2004 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

This mail is being sent to UK members :

Dear Member,

WOW! We've been able to remove the additional charges for deliveries to the UK and Ireland on CDs.

We've been working our little cotton socks off to source our Chart Albums within the EU at the lowest possible price and cutting our margins even more.

In simple terms, from today the additional charges are no longer applicable. Chart CDs remain at £8.99* including deliveries to the UK - yippeee!

There have been a few cutbacks in the office, I'm working out of the YMCA and using an etch-a-sketch as my PC was sold.

But fear not - you get our great CD price - and I'm loving the YMCA tomato soup!

Thank you for your overwhelming support!

Warmest Regards,
    CD WOW!

And if you look at the Irish site you will see that there are no more surcharges also..... I think some cds may have gone up on price but they seem mostly the same as before. Good news :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Hmm, looks like the prices on the .hk site have gone up to match those on the UK one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

This is great news :) Even the odd cd going up a little bit is better than the all and the money going to the wrong people

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

so are cdwow now out of trouble? and free and clear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

this is the first ive heard of it.. so is this 3 quid extra charge gone or still there or wat then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

WOW!!!

The prices have soared on the Hong Kong site. A couple of weeks ago I bought the eye toy for hk$394 now it is $466. That's a massive 18% increase in a week.

So there goes the HK site for value. Mind you it still remains about €1 or €2 cheaper.

Prices have leveled more across CDWOW and the surcharge is gone.

Cal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Wow, I went onto cd-wow.com.hk this afternoon and the price was HK$105.99 for most CDs, now its HK$125!!! Quite a jump, puts the prices much closer to the Irish version, never mind the UK one.

cdwow.ie has most CDs at €13.95 again.

And has anyone else got an e-mail yet on this? I hadn't as of about 6 this evening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

And when all the Eastern European States join the EU in a few months, they should be able so source even cheaper product :)

I hope someone (or everyone) forwarded the e-mail from CD-WOW to IRMA :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Fair play to CD Wow for their efforts in trying to reduce prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

wow i feel lucky, i went on to the hong kong site yesterday morning once i heard that the surcharge page was down and ordered cds at the hk€105 price so i guess i just missed the price increase.

I was going to say that it's cool that they've brought down the CD prices again but i'm just after looking at the new prices of the dvds and games and i'm shocked. I got the matrix reloaded (region 1) for €10 a couple of weeks ago and now its shot up to €21, and the Battlestar Galactica game for xbox has gone from €36.99 to €43.40 - this sucks, i think i'd have preferred moderately more expensive cds (there wasn't really that much of a selection) and cheap DVDs than both to be (more) expensive - don't forget that if you ordered off the hk site when the surcharge was there you would still get your cds for around 13.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Story on the Reg Here this afternoon.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Wow, I went onto cd-wow.com.hk this afternoon and the price was HK$105.99 for most CDs, now its HK$125!!! Quite a jump, puts the prices much closer to the Irish version, never mind the UK one.

Yup, the base HK price on CDs has been increased by €2, which is most unfortunate (now at €12.80). The differance in price between the UK and HK site is now so minimal (30 cents) while the IE site still remains the least desirable of the three (€1.15 more). Still, I'll miss the days when I could buy a CD off CD WOW for less than €11, that warm fuzzy feeling was nice...

Funny thing is, it STILL remains cheaper than purchasing a CD in the high-street stores. While this increase is bad, it shouldn't be enough to deter people from CD WOW completely, especially here. Kinda leaves most of the IRMAs motives up in the air, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The BPI had begun legal action against CD Wow over so-called parallel importing, arguing that the etailer's activities hurt the actions of other retailers who sourced their CDs from official, and more expensive, distributors within the EU

WTF?? Isn't it supposed to be a free market, even within the EU. Hello, it's called competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dudara
    WTF?? Isn't it supposed to be a free market, even within the EU. Hello, it's called competition
    They were sourcing the discs outside the EU. You can still use the word "competition" but "free market" doesn't belong in the paragraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Originally posted by Muck
    Story on the Reg Here this afternoon.

M

Very interesting - either way the CD's are still much cheaper than HMV and Birgin ripoff retail joint prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

yeh got the e-mail. ****1n legends.

i don't buy many cd's any more but if i did .. only way to go.

FIGHT THE MACHINE!

GO CDWOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nice one. Why the hell should the british courts have any power to dictate what CDWOW does in the Irish market anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

The irish guys did the same thing. IMRO I think. They werent able to think on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Pity prices on .hk have gone up for both cd's and dvds. They were affordable but know ?

I think that the record industry needs to take stock of what is happening in their own back yard and REDUCE prices considerably. If they are cheap enough not as many will download for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Playusa.com no longer ship cds to Ireland?

Was this a result of pressure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Cork
    Was this a result of pressure?

Yes Cork. They refused to buy a "Foursome" at Berties Golf Classic, that is your fate if you refuse an offer you shouldn't. They even had a choice of colour envelope FFS

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

didn't know that playusa had stopped shipping to ireland, it's not harm anyway that site is really expensive now, i get all my R1 dvds from dvdsoon.com now, order 6 and first class shipping is free, this is really good (3 dvd's shipped Thursday and they arrived on Monday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

For anyone wanting to buy CDs from CD Wow, I would suggest using the US site instead of the HK one. With the price hikes on the HK site and the current exchange rate it works out cheaper.

A normal chart CD costs $13.95 (€10.97) on the US site, and HK$ 125 (€12.66)

http://www2.cd-wow.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

can anyone confirm that using that us site works good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

DVDSOON have amended their free shipping terms again, so now they've reverted back to free shipping regardless of quantity purchased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

can anyone confirm that using that us site works good?

The US site works just as well as any of the CD Wow sites. The shipping is the same regrdless of what website you order off, the only thing that changes is the price.
    I have ordered of them many a time and rarely had any problems.

Advertisement