Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me!!! I ran delpart!!!

• 03-02-2004 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭

I've accidentally deleted the pain partition on a hard drive. I've had the 80 Gig HD for a while and theres loads on it!!! I was messing around writing an autoexec.bat file for a boot disk when i pressed the wrong option and ran DELPART off the floppy.
    Stupidly i admit, i had the whole drive under 1 partition and now its gone. Can i retrieve the data?????? So many Mp3s!!!!!!!! Wouldnt you think that delpart would ask me am i sure? no, of course not!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

did you format the drive? if so you've lost everything. What exactly did you do just delete the data that tells the drive that' it's partitioned?

well if you didn't "format" the drive the data should still be there, it's just the case of recovering the data. There are loads of programs out there that can do it. What you'll need is another hard drive (big enough to temp store your files), run the program you choose on your drive that you deleted the partition, chose the restore option on whatever program you've chosen to use to do this.

If it's the case that you've just told the computer that the partition isn't there anymore there might be an easier way to restore your drive, though I don't know how to do it.

Gl,
    Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

Didnt format the drive. Just ran delpart.com which just removes any partition on the drive. Im now using an older 10 gb drive and i have the 80gb drive on as slave now. cant see the data tho cos of the lack of a partition! What program could i use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

If you know the exact size and position of the partition then you can re-create it with no data-loss using Linux fdisk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

If you just want the mp3s (or other specific filetypes) back then try a program called winhex.. it'll search through the disk for data matching the mp3s headers.. I've used it several times to recover deleted photos from digital cameras. Only program I've ever registered for.. and well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭MunkyHed

Sorted! found thepartition recovery tool to be pretty sweet. Did exactly as i hoped, just undeleted the partition! I've now got 3 healthy partitions just in case it goes pear shaped again! Cheers!:D

Advertisement