Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separate .ie registration and hosting

Options
  • 03-02-2004 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Posting here as hosting forum closed, sorry if wrong place

Quick query just in case, if I register my .ie with an irish reseller (e.g. blackknight or hostireland) is there anything stopping me using someone else for my webhosting, i.e. it's not a case of using their webhosting in association with the .ie or none at all?

Reckon it's stupid question but I won't be saying that if I cough up and find out differently

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi ConUladh

You can get a domain from company X and host with company Y if you wish.

Eóin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by ConUladh
    Quick query just in case, if I register my .ie with an irish reseller (e.g. blackknight or hostireland) is there anything stopping me using someone else for my webhosting, i.e. it's not a case of using their webhosting in association with the .ie or none at all?

There is nothing stopping you from hosting the domain on the nameservers of one company and the website on the servers of another.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by ConUladh

Like jmcc said, nothing technically stopping you. You may find that some hosts impose an additional charge on the cost of the domain though (or point blank insist it be hosted with them). I guess, you should drop the .ie reseller/host to double check, just in case.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Ì can only speak for us.
    You can register a domain through us and host it whereever you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Most hosting providers provide cloaked re-directions for free with the registration of your domain name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Originally posted by blacknight
    Ì can only speak for us.
    You can register a domain through us and host it whereever you wish.

Is it the same charge either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by buddy
    Is it the same charge either way?
    No. We charge even less if you host with us :)

Advertisement