Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Zone 102.5

Options
  • 03-02-2004 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

Right, on sunday evening i found a station in Dublin called The Zone 102.5. Dodgy signal, stuck right beside lite fm, but talk about great music. It was a good oul modern rock station, playing loads of rock tunes, similar to Kerrang radio on the digital tele.

In fact, I like Phantom a lot, but wish it could be more like this one - too much 'deep, into it' kind of stuff on Phantom, need more RAAWK

They had loads of jingles put together, so i guess these guys are planning some kind of a launch soon enough

Does anyone know anything about this station? It has gone off the air at the moment, i guess they'll try again next weekend??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Michael Masterson

They are a week-end station which broadcasts to city centre only ..
    I hear they are currently going for a licence ( not 100% sure )...

here's some info ..

THE ZONE

FREQUENCY: 102.5MHz
    STYLE: Alternative weekend-only automated rock music
    LISTEN LIVE: rtsp://www.thezone1025.com/the zone.sdp

Today's Music Alternative
    The Zone are off air on FM in Dublin following the submission of interest in a new Dublin licence which will be advertised early in 2004. The station still broadcast online.

The Zone are on a mission. The main purpose of the station is to promote alternative/rock music as a viable format for radio in Dublin. They aim to provide a professional-sounding service, albeit on low-power at present. The Zone seeks to complement, rather than compete with, Dublin's two existing alternative rock stations. Although automated at present, once a more suitable site for transmission is found, the hope is to eventually introduce some live programming..although the whole concept is few words, more music.

The station first appeared - on test - as Star FM during March 2001. The 102.5MHz frequency had been vacated by Radio Caroline Dublin. A country music station by the name of Star FM was awarded a licence in a category also containing rock music stations. Not only did this lead to a necessary name-change, but a more determined effort to continue with the weekend service in order to promote the rock profile. Those behind the scenes felt that dance and country music stations had received licecnes as a result of a pirate presence proving the need for them.

The full weekend service really only started just before Xmas last and they are still in the process of getting the service right.

A website will be online shortly.

"As for any listeners, well your guess is as good as ours. All we can hope is that those who do listen enjoy the service as much as we enjoy preparing it."

Adapted from text supplied by the Station's Manager. © Radiowaves August 2002

Email: thezone@dublin.com

http://www.thezone1025.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Cheers Michael, great to hear there will be a bit of decent radio to listen to at the weekends at least

sorry phantom, but you guys just weren't cutting it. After my aussie stint, i got well into the hard rock radio there, sounds like these guys have it just right

check out this playlist!

Linkin Park Numb (Warner Bros.)
    Puddle of Mud Away From Me (Geffen)
    Staind So Far Away (Flip/Elektra/EEG)Nickelback Someday (Roadrunner/IDJMG)EEG) Audioslave Show Me How To Live (Interscope/Epic) P.O.D. Will You (Atlantic) Smile Empty Soul Bottom Of A Bottle (Lava) White Stripes Seven Nation Army (Third Man/V2) Three Days Grace (I Hate) Everything About You (Jive)Fuel Falls On Me (Epic))Chevelle Closure (Epic) 3 Doors Down Here Without You (Republic/Universal)Jet Are You Gonna Be My Girl (Elektra/EEG))Revis Seven (Epic) Offspring Hit That (Columbia)Finger Eleven One Thing (Wind-up)Adema Promises (Arista) Nickelback Figured You Out (Roadrunner/IDJMG)Lacuna Coil Heavens A Lie (Century Media)
    Evanescence Going Under (Wind-up) Red Hot Chili Peppers Fortune Faded (Warner Bros.) Blink-182 Feeling This (Geffen) Staind How About You (Flip/Elektra/EEG) Chevelle Send The Pain Below (Epic) AFI Silver and Gold (DreamWorks) Alien Ant Farm Glow (DreamWorks) No Doubt It's My Life (Interscope) Jack Johnson Taylor (Jack Johnson Music/Universal) White Stripes It's My Life (Interscope) Strokes 12:51 (RCA) Hoobastank Out Of Control (Island/IDJMG) Dashboard Confessional Hands Down (Vagrant) 311 Creatures (For A While) (Volcano) Fountains Of Wayne Stacy's Mom (S-Curve/EMC) Crystal Method Born Too Slow (V2) Something Corporate Space (Drive-Thru/Geffen) Thursday Signals Over The Air (Island/IDJMG) Cold Suffocate (Flip/Geffen/Interscope) Coldplay Moses (Capitol) Iggy Pop Little Know It All (Virgin) Hot Hot Heat Talk To Me, Dance With Me (Sub Pop/Reprise) Ataris The Saddest Song (Columbia) Distillers Drain The Blood (Sire/Reprise) Seether Fine Again (Wind-up) Story Of The Year Until The Day I Die (Maverick/Reprise) Foo Fighters Darling Nikki (Roswell/RCA) REM Bad day (Warner) Travis Enemy (Epic) Phantom Planet Big Brat (Epic) American Hi-Fi The Breakup Song (Island) Chumbawamba If Its to Be..Its to Be (Koch) The Donnas Who Invited You (Atlantic) Lifehouse Take Me Away (Dreamworks)

sweet!

hope they get the license

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

nice. never even heard of it before. i shalt check it out, as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Where did you hear "heavy rock" in Australia?????? Not on the radio! I would hardly call what you here on 3M/2M as heavy rock...classic rock maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

triple m is a great station - check their website - you may find similar playlist to above!

also, try www.planetrock.com.au for all the latest tunes - class website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Have listened to it while it was Oz. Wouldn't put it down as cutting edge. More for mullet wearing beer swilling ute driving buffoons. More a triple J listener while I was there.

Advertisement