Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

memory problem

Options
  • 04-02-2004 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

i just bought a Samsung 512MB PC133 SDRAM Memory Module for my dell 4300. when i try to boot up everything seems to work except the monitor. the beep codes indicate a video card failure. but when i go back to the old memory everything works fine again. i've made sure everyting is seated properly and i've tried evry combination of modules including the 512 on its own but no go. any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

certain computers need certain types of memory other wise it wont work ! or did u buy the memory from dell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You need to install ram in identical pairs on those Dells.

It's a ram failure, not a video one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mickcomer

thanks for the replies. no i didn't get it from dell it's an oem i got on e-bay as for needing a matching pair , originally there was a single 128 in the machine and it also worked with a 256+ a 128. i've heard that there can't be two different types in the machine at the same time but i did try the 512 on it's own. as for the beep codes i checked them up on the internet and all the places i checked said that the code i was getting was for a video card failure. i know the video card is working but could there be a compatibility issue between the video card and the ram, because i can hear everything else booting up. also is there an adjustment that can be made in the bios that might allow the memory to work. thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

This'll be **** all help to you, but I bought a 256mb sdram module pc133 a few years back and had the same problem as you. Swapped it with an identical module in a mates machine - his worked in mine and mine worked in his!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mickcomer

yaah it,s probably not going to work here but i'd like to know that the sdram itself is ok so that i can sell it on and make my money back. ill probably let the let the sisters boyfried try it out on his machine. stg50 including delivery for 512mg didn't seem too bad but it's a lot if it don't work. take it easy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

sure ram is a sterdy little piece of hardware it would take a lot to damage it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Slothy

Hi,
    Ram is tricky sometimes, I had a nightmare years ago when I wasn't that expreienced, with conflicting modules. But as you said you tried the ram yourself, it could be possibly faulty, if you go to a good computer place they might have a ram tester, also try antoher video card.
    Also what I do now when buying RAM is go to crucial, they match the configuration exactly to your machine and ship quick, I always use them to prevent conflicting RAM. they ship FEDex too, www.crucial.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

The beeb codes indicate a memory failure, Try booting with only the new 512 stick in the comp, make sure that it is seated correctly make sure its all the way down into the socket.

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Originally posted by Slothy
    Hi,
    Also what I do now when buying RAM is go to crucial, they match the configuration exactly to your machine and ship quick, I always use them to prevent conflicting RAM. they ship FEDex too, www.crucial.com

keep in mind pricing:
    ... and charge €15 approx more for it (not stated in "checkout" on the website,or the email'ed receipt + there's a further €30 approx for tax (importing into EU) ...
    :TwItcH:

Advertisement