Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake3 FFA league.

Options
  • 06-07-2000 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I'm not willing to admin the next IQ3CL league because PS would easily own again smile.gif. But I dont mind having a bit os a FFA league during the week nights. Might be good fun.

I suggest we split up into HPB division and LPB division. At least it might bring the interest back into it.

What you think.

Tom /Jedi

[This message has been edited by Jedi (edited 06-07-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

this was a post asking how to edit but i saw the link after i posted... smile.gif

[This message has been edited by podgeen (edited 06-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

nah bring back the iq3cl.... admins r easy to find.

If admins are so easy to find how come none have come foward and started the league again??
    also there are not enuff clans for 2 divisions lpb/hpb?? are there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

that smiley you used in your first post is ironic, podge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I would play a ffa league. Much less hassle for everyone playing and the admin(s). Either you turn up or you don't. A wide variety of levels could be played also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

how about a duel or 2 v 2 league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

Lpb/hpb duel + 2v2 league would be nice cos its smaller so its easier to manage and play.

<< Arf Arf >>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i don't like the sound of 2v2 league that much, but sure, i wouldn't have to play in it smile.gif
    A duelling league might be good, even though i don't like duelling - there are enough dedicated players for a hpb ladder and lpb ladder i'd say.
    But, I think IQ3CL should come first - there will be people willing to organise it and stuff, and BiO who have been playing so much will be looking forward to some nice, easy games, like against PS.
    As soon as i get my new asuscom, there will be no more lagged illkillyas hanging around.

well if ye want me to run the league I will... I do get the feeling some of you don't but there's an offer init... I can get plenty o admins aswell.

rite i totally messed up here
    first i had a post commenting on tom's suggestion,then i read it and i wasnt making sense...
    so i wanted to edit it but i didnt know how
    so i made a new post (this one b 4 i edited)
    the i found out how to edit and went to edit my post (the one asking how to edit) but instead i edited and deleted my original post
    so anyways this is what i was trying to say in he first place...

I think a irish q3 league is needed as so mucj time is being spent with team.ie that everyone else is being left behind.. and there q3 is becoming boring as there is nothing happening

anyways i think a duels league/tournement/competition would be better.
    with 2 divisions lpb and hpb
    that way everyone will get to play and you would have ul'ers like me beating a lagged illkillya just cause of our ping.
    and also i would'nt get humilated like previous occasions (getting bet by koopa who is on a 200ping and me on a 5ping sitting on the server) tongue.gif
    a duels competition played over the net with lpb division and a hpb division.
    I would organise it myself except i dont know if i'd b able to run it well considering i dont have a connect of my own (I ahve to bring me machine into college (sonic))
    so i would'nt be able to be doing that everyevening and also i want to play in it..
    and donnt want hassle like tom was having with the last clan league...

so let me know what ye think??

[This message has been edited by podgeen (edited 06-07-2000).]

• Advertisement

m1ke the dictator would do a great job running the league

that might have sounded a bit sarcastic because i forgot a smiley face, but i was serious smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

I will kill you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

Illkillya - your overheating voodoo3 = lagged ghosts wink.gif

<< Arf Arf >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Genius

I've no problem helping out running the league and admining games and stuff maybe we could get around 4 or 5 people running it instead of it all coming back on one person like the last season.How many clans is there in Ireland atm that play regularly though ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

hehe.
    Running a league isnt as easy as you might think.
    Take it from me, its time consuming, and for the most part quite thankless.
    And as for 4 or 5 ppl running it....
    well...
    4 or 5 people very commited to help run it is ok, but imho you would need to agree EVERY little detail about the league or there would be slaps (Im sorry but these things can happen), OR one person that is agreeable with everyone, be at the top to make end decisions with no debate about it. A job which aint fun, but imo essential.

Personally, if there was money involved like the last league, I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.(but then Ill stick to QW anyway smile.gif)

Also it should be decided before any league whether any matches be played on LAN.
    IMHO, if the majority is going to be on the internet, then ALL matches should be on the internet to be fair to clans that couldnt possibly make a LAN and to those who have players on basis of their connections.

Well there is my advice from my experience running the ICAL smile.gif
    Have fun.
    Pal.

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited 07-07-2000).]

Paladin - only m1ke offered to run the league in this thread, so i assume your condescending comments are aimed at him.
    nobody said running a leauge is easy - but it couldn't be that hard - you managed it tongue.gif
    tis time consuming alright - ask MrPink who has disappeared in the middle of his league http://www.pink-zone.co.uk/uksl/ , but i'm still saying mike would do a great job of it - no "hehe, I'm sorry", he's running the most active clan in Ireland and doing a great job of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Condescending? Where? I need a dictionary cool.gif

wtf is he on about?

Originally posted by Illkillya:
    Paladin - only m1ke offered to run the league in this thread, so i assume your condescending comments are aimed at him.
    ummmmm?
    nobody said running a leauge is easy - but it couldn't be that hard - you managed it tongue.gif
    Like I said ppl - a thankless job.

Im not condescending to mike.
    Not at all. Nothing of the sort intended. Fair duece to the guy for volunteering, more than anyone elso to date,(past league admins etc accepted smile.gif) and I recognize that and appreciate that. I dont think he has run a league b4 tho, and when I was in his shoes, I thought it would b easier than it was.
    Thats basically what Im saying.

<snip> There go more condescending comments. Not at mike tho someone else smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited 07-07-2000).]

• Advertisement

I know enough dedicated lads that would make good admins and make a league work. Of course it would be great to do it with Jedi's help so we'd have the knowledge base of his experience of the first season and wouldn't be starting from scratch but from plenty of experience.

It would only be a small league, 1 division or so, but that's about all that play these days ?

I personally feel money shouldn't be involved in a clan league.

League structure : base it on what Jedi had previously, bring it up to date the way thangs are now (all lpb league). Have rules governing everything so there basically wouldn't be quibbles and wars over bull ****. For instance clans by default must play on the internet, if both participating clans wish to play the game on a lan they should email the admin 1 week before such an event... ya know.... make it flexible and LET the clans decide. They make their decisions on how they want to play it... ther'll be default rules on how things should be played but customising should be allowed on issues to a certain point to make it as FUN as possible. Things should go down in emails from the leader to the admin when changes like playing a lan / connections etc.. are made so there's a clear record of it -> not He said on irc, she said on irc, but they said on the boards... that just leads to a load of crap.

But for a duel league, I think a small amount of money would be a good incentive, an amount to make it "fun" and not serious, like £20 for 1st, 10 for 2nd, 5 for 3rd.... the first placed would be getting a night out on the beer on Quake3's back biggrin.gif

rite,
    i think you'r in the right track there mike
    i agree with everything you said
    I think if there is gonna cash envolved (duels) it should be something siggnifiecnt
    100quid? 50 quid?
    20 quid wont really get u a night out will it tongue.gif

things sound so much better when you rephrase them and
    Like I said ppl - a thankless job.
    and thats a dorty dig considering i've probably praised your league running more than anyone especially the way you rescheduled and stuff
    <snip>nasty retort responding to unnecessary hostilility in previous post by paladin tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif</snip>

[This message has been edited by Illkillya (edited 08-07-2000).]

LOL
    Fair enuff Illkillya smile.gif
    hehe
    We shall call it quits so m8 smile.gif

So here - are we gonna setup a load of leagues or what ?

How about running 3 of them at once, FFA, Dual and Clan Wars... different days of the week or whatever. Get people back playing and against opposition theyre familiar with etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Demon

gatch

whats the story with all the irish clans? i know a few are gone now, but there are some more to fill in. Apart from the ICAL, there are no irish clans in any q3 league now, are there? so, we could get the league started any time...? it would be just 1 day a week for the busy people - not everybody will doing the duelling and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jedi

Ok then, why not,

Mike you go ahead and work on the Team DM league. Although I do suggest you wait until people are back in college. Most people have no access low pings until then. But thats up to U.

I will set up a ffa league. Split into LPB and HPB groups. Hopefully get that started the beginning of August.

I wont stop HPB's playing in both LPB and HPB groups but obviously I wont allow the opposite.

If you are interested in playing in the Vanilla Q3 FFA league. Please mail me at thomas.k.howlin@intel.com with the following details.

Name:
    Nick:
    Email Address:
    Conection type (modemor isdn):
    Groups you want to enter (HPB/LPB):

Lets get it on and have some fun.

Tom (Jedi)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

heres me with my head in the sand for 3 weeks, nice one with the ffa league. im up for it , must get back into this, btw JAY ! i challenge j00

• Advertisement
Advertisement