Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Coupé or Alpha 156

Options
  • 04-02-2004 9:38am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive got a punto,

im considering trading up to a 99 or 00 one of these (i.e. ive got about about 10 or 11 thousand to spend (that includes my puntos value)...

Which of these cars is better in your opinion and why?

do either of them come in a 1.6 variant or is 1.8 the smallest engine size?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

The Alfa comes in either a 1.6 or 1.8 TSpark.

The Hyundai Coupé is a 1.6, I think.

This is how I would make my choice:

Which is more important to you? Looks/Image or Performance/Driveablility

Hyundai Coupé = Looks/Image
    Alpha 156 = Performance/Driveablility

I would also go with the 1.8 in the Alfa as this is a sweet lively engine.

Also strangely enough you may get it hard to get insurance on both but in particular the Hyundai Coupé as insurance companies hate Coupes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I have only ever seen chicks drive hyundai coupe's if your over 5'10" they are a no go. But I wouldnt put performance and Alfa in the same sentence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Both are very good looking cars but I wouldnt touch either to be honest...

In saying that, the Hyundai is probably the more reliable and you would be more likely to get a model with a nice few extras on it for the money you have going in
    that with the alfa..

I personally would sell the punto privately and go to a dealer as a cash buyer, then
    you have a lot more clout and believe me a much bigger range of cars open to you..

Tox

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

well whats a nice car to buy secondhand for 10K thats no bigger than 1.6??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

You could go for something like this the engine is really sweet and it will hold it's value somewhat. I drive an Alfa. I have just upgraded my GTV to a 2.5V6. Don't listen to people who tell you that performanec and Alfa don't go together. They have either never driven one or don't know what they are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

I think you are on the right line Morphéus however there are some other options:

Ford Puma (chick car)
    Audi A3/A4 (too corporate)
    96 BMW 318 coupe
    Renault Megane Coupe 1.4 or 1.6

But the best option I think is the Hyundai Coupé try get a fx model as it comes with lots of extras and look out for ones that have been trashed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

i must find out first if insurance will be a major problem with the coupé, its bad enough with the punto, im going to hibernian tho, they do a deal for anything 1.6 or under, and im 27 with 3yrs no claims and full licence.. i wont even think of phoning my current insurer "quinn direct" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

they do a deal for anything 1.6 or under

IIRC The Hibernian "deal" you are referring to is the Ignition scheme , the car has to be 1.4 or smaller.
    i wont even think of phoning my current insurer "quinn direct"

To be honest I don't think you'll find insurance too bad , I changed last year (Mid-way through my policy) from a 1.6 Vectra to a 2.0 Honda Accord. My renewal quote in January was only €889 for TFF&T. I'm also 27 but have 5 years NCB. When I quizzed them about adding my fiance as a named driver they added her for nothing !! I couldn't believe it.

I also drove a Punto , before the Vectra !! Gradual increase in power , 1.2, 1.6 ,2.0 . Don't think I'll go any bigger €500 a year on tax is quite enough for me Mr.Taxman !!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Hyundai (old model) is looking dated now imho. The design of the new model is an awful lot better. Still a hairdressers car though ;)

The 156 is still almost as fresh as when it came out. If you're max is the 1.6, then get it chipped (couple of hundred €). Buy from a dealer and get a warranty and after that's expired just wish for a bit of luck ;)

The 156 wasn't so popular with company car drivers for nothing. For pretty much the same price as a Nissan Primera or a Opel Vectra, they could drive a car that comes near enough the driving characteristics of an entry BMW
    Originally posted by Hobart
    Don't listen to people who tell you that performanec and Alfa don't go together. They have either never driven one or don't know what they are talking about.

Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I wouldn't worry too much about the insurance, once you hit 25 Quinn Direct have very little variation between most cars in the 1.6 - 2.0 bracket. You get screwed for tax instead.

I'd definitely go with the Alfa though, the Hyundai is a total girl car, and anyone who knows anything about cars will laugh at you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

The 156 is much the better car although running costs are higher.My 156 experience was the best car i had in donkeys years

Advertisement