Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a window fitter

Options
  • 04-02-2004 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any good recommendations for someone to install new windows in a house, there seems to be a lot out there but hoping to avoid the cowboys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I second that request. Hard to get someone decent so anyone got a personal recommendation?? Interested in reducing road noise more than anything else..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where are the properties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Originally posted by Victor
    Where are the properties?

Well mines just off the North Strand. Not sure on budget vs which windows but I am keen to get the upstairs two front windows done (approx 58h x 36w) since that the main bedroom.

Thanks for the link pipers but I'd appreciate knowing why you posted them (good experience?, price?, service? or is it a mate of yours? :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

i have seen this company in operation, cannot fault them.

• Advertisement

Abe Wildman in Portmarnock (he should be in the book) does small jobs, mostly in aluminium. There also a company In Macken Street, I can't remember their name.

The is a place in Fairview that does timber windows, again I can't remember their name, could be Armitage.

Virtually no one will want to deal with two windows, so you are better off doing them all in the one job. You are likely to need a plasterer to repairs the window jambs, unless you feel up to it yourself.

Virtually no one will want to deal with two windows, so you are better off doing them all in the one job.

Hmm thought this might be the case but thanks for confirming (and for the recommendations). Don't really have the funds for the whole lot at the moment so will have to put it on the long finger.

Would be be really crazy (or feasable from a cost pov) to consider secondary glazing for the two upstairs windows? As mentioned it's mainly sound damping I'm looking for (road noise).

It's not actually stopping me sleep but I'd love to cut it down somewhat. Maybe heavier curtains would help? Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

You might first look at sealing them a bit better (leave some ventilation though to prevent damp and mould).

If these are bedroom windows, be very wary of fitting secondary glazing that would prevent escape in the event of fire. Depending on the circumstance you would hope to fit the secondary glazing 150-200mm from the outer glazing.

Heavy curtains with lots of folds would help.

Check if your attic is insulated. 200mm of fibreglass would help.

You might first look at sealing them a bit better (leave some ventilation though to prevent damp and mould).

If these are bedroom windows, be very wary of fitting secondary glazing that would prevent escape in the event of fire. Depending on the circumstance you would hope to fit the secondary glazing 150-200mm from the outer glazing.

Heavy curtains with lots of folds would help.

Check if your attic is insulated. 200mm of fibreglass would help.

Many thanks for the advice. They are indeed bedroom windows so all in all I think I will postpone the window thing completely until next year when i can more easily afford to get the whole lot done.

To my shame i hadn't checked the attic in years :o and indeed it is not insulated. I reckon your suggestion will go a long way to helping. Was just about to change the curtains too so will go with that idea cheers :)

Buy some foam ear plugs - I used to live near a fire station. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

We replaced the windows in our place about a year ago. After looking at other windows and manufacturers, we used FAIRCO in fairview - they have a website.

They were very good on price and service. The fitters we in and out very quickly, very tidy, friendly.. I really couldn't fault them.
    We had one little issue with them on colour, but they knocked aload off the already reduced price - without us having to ask.

Their foreman Martin is a gem.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Alive Alive O

Milkman wrote: »
    We replaced the windows in our place about a year ago. After looking at other windows and manufacturers, we used FAIRCO in fairview - they have a website.

They were very good on price and service. The fitters we in and out very quickly, very tidy, friendly.. I really couldn't fault them.
    We had one little issue with them on colour, but they knocked aload off the already reduced price - without us having to ask.

Their foreman Martin is a gem.

M.

I agree that the foreman is a good guy.

There is some accountant or (dont know what) in the Clontarf Office that is extremely ill mannered both to customers and staff though.

It's pretty obvious he treats staff very badly; he was exceptionally ignorant and arrogant when I met him.

I ended up going to Donnellan Windows for 6 windows and a patio door. I had no issues with them and would use them again.

Fairco... no

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jajaja

Fairco, the bad experience with them and the most expensive for nothing. stay away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

I used Orion windows in Malahide recently to supply and fit a new front door and two windows.

They were by far the best on price and I was very happy with both the quality of the windows and door and the fitting of them.

Advertisement