Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP Server

Options
  • 04-02-2004 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I think this should probably be under Web Hosting maybe but I cant post their so I bring my question to you lucky people ;)

I want to set up an FTP server for my friends and I, which I will look after
    Only problem is Im not sure where to start ?

Some facts I dont have a Broadband connection at home and wont be getting one any time soon < I move around alot for work >

I dont think my friends would let me use their`s either tbh

I would want a fairly large HD say 160 GBs or so should cover it.

Now I have no prob building my own Comp for the job securing it etc
    But Can I How does this work ?

Can I put my comp in a Room somewhere and rent the Bandwidth ?
    or do i have to get someone to host it for me ?

What kind of charges are we talking about for either ?

Also if its a private Ftp site < Username + Password etc > are their laws that govern what I can put on the site ? or is that up to who ever host the site or own`s the bandwidth

A know alot of this is very broad and not specific but it is just an idea i would like to look further into and I reckon you guys would know alot more than me on this .

Any help or even pointers to where I can look for info on this would be appreciated

Thanks
    A

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can I put my comp in a Room somewhere and rent the Bandwidth ?

Yes. Google for "co-location site:ie". Or "site:uk", etc.

or do i have to get someone to host it for me ?

You can do that too, but for 160GB you'll need a dedicated server. Most likely one with two drives, since very few DS suppliers have disks > 100GB.

What kind of charges are we talking about for either ?

Co-location will cost you from about €100/month up. A dedicated with two drives will cost you about €150/month up.

Also if its a private Ftp site < Username + Password etc > are their laws that govern what I can put on the site ?

Laws is laws. Distribution of pr0n is arguably illegal in this country. Sharing copyrighted and/or licenced files without permission is illegal except in certain, very arguable circumstances (sharing with family for eg). Obviously it's harder to get caught on a private FTP server, but that won't make anything illegal any less illegal.

or is that up to who ever host the site or own`s the bandwidth

It up to you to take the risk, but your host/upstream will reserve the right to pull the plug on you. Most budget hosts (as priced above) will do so without question, i.e. they'll pull the plug and ask questions later.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thank you dahamsta

That is all the information I need :D loads infact

Tbh It was just going to be a little project for our selves < Well me but, they wanted access > but I dont think I can afford anything like that for just a plaything in reality

I had no idea of the cost`s involved. But again Thanks for the info :)

A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No worries.

Advertisement