Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where all the fun gone!!

Options
  • 05-07-2000 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Why is Q3 the most un fun game on the planet. I'm only a newbie in quake terms but still I'm playing around 3 years or so. I remember 3 years ago the quake scene in Ireland was bussing. Very little *****ing about pings and servers and about how **** the games is.
    Time was taken up by more constructive things like building up a good rivalry with the other clans, planning quake1 lans. Every night you where guarenteed that some body was dueling, or on CA. If some one was looking for a team game there was always people on irc dieing for a game. Quake1 even though I was never great at it was still the most fun I've every had playing online.
    Its the one game I never grew tired of.
    Now you look at the Q3 scene. Already almost extinct here in ireland. Fair enough we have some great players competing in the quake3 european cup. But I can guarentee that all 4 of the players on the irish q3 team also will agree the game is so boring. To be honest I can see why. The game is just not challenging. I remember after 2 years of playing quake1 there was still so many tricks and jumps I could not do. The demos in quake1 were so much more exciting. Expecially the team demos.

Maybe its just me but I miss the fun of quake1.

Jedi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

It's the Irish scene that just lets us down. No leagues, no games... to my recollection 1 active clan (BiO, just about the only clan to play on a regular basis)... I love the game, I think it's great fun.... I play at least 2 clan games per night for most days of the week.
    It hasn't cought on here... I can't say the same in the UK.... there's always someone around for a game, there's plenty of good olde addictive fun... all of you should try it... the Irish thing isn't happening because no one plays it... And it's a shame cause I remember when things were happening in Ireland... the UK just isn't the same but still... it's better then nothing.
    Jedi start up the IQ3CL again, put some fun back into things for the the average player and cut all the 3l33t panel nethouse ****.... the iq3cl can get ppl playing and havin fun again.
    If u need help organising, admining, web site or anything I offer my help... and the use of my server (but there's enuff irish wans now so).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

the reason is simple, its more of the same old same old. Yes its fun on a good connection. but after starting out on indigo winctf many yrs ago, then some qw, then tons of q2, then q3 comes along and tbh theres nothing new there, nothing to spark the same sort of interest.

i was gonna have a game late on saturday nite when i got home, nearly all the q3 servers in ireland/uk were empty, apart from a few duels, and 1 bw teamplay server, there were no games to be had.

after that i spent about 20mins trying to find a free slot on a counter-strike server in either ireland, the uk, and the netherlands .... alot of people are looking for something new and different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

yere forgetting ut lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

So are there any LAN's coming up?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

To be honest I have not played Q3 enough to judge it.

Jedi, you are making exactly the same comments that MP was talking about seeing in Giants column(reading it yesterday was rather interesting, link to it somewhere on Zero's column I think).

M1ke has a good point, if there were leagues and clan games organised just for the laugh instead of all the hype about the team3.ie then more ppl might take an interest.Of course it is important to put a lot of time and resources into team3.ie, but for the not so elite of the community the whole thing goes a tad overhead I'd say.

And something else that I cannot remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

The fun is simply 'gone' for me anyway. I enjoy beating supposed 'great players and clans'. I enjoy when I execute a string of incredible shots. I enjoy winning. I enjoy being good at the game, not the game itself. I would like to be the best in the world. Without a connection and the time to play this is not possible. So I don't play. Money, sponsorship, competition, bad connects, **** game(Q3). I'm sure this is what has 'happened' to the game.

just read giants post, he details what I've said above...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I say restart the iq3cl, get people playing again and not for all this bull**** about sponsorship... not for any £400 prize money... but just because it's a fun game... people that don't like the game don't have to play... some people might play even tho they dont really like the game but for the right reasons instead of the wrong ones 1) for some team spirit 2) they might be playing with RL friends 3) for a bitta fun against opposition you know really well ... instead of matches vs teams of players you don't know or have nothing in common with. Believe it or not there are some people left who like Quake3 for the right reasons... there aren't many of them... but I say get the league restarted and get the ball rolling... and see how it works out. Maybe it'll put a bit of fun back in things.
    Like the Clan arena league for example - I never played quake1 before the clan arena league, and the league itself made the game fun for me, coming from strictly quake2 the chances of enjoying quake1 are tiny but I did because the league was a bit of a laff... decent heads playing etc.. the ICAL put the fun back in clan arena which was dead for ages ... why can't the IQ3CL put the fun back in Quake3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

m1ke is ABSOLUTELY right.

i'm not going to play with a 200 ping. with money prize or without. i'm also not going to spend the majority of my money on ISDN so all you WHealthies, shut it. i don't think any of the better players will either, couple the annoyance of q3 with the annoyance of a bad connection. i'm annoyed just thinking about it.

if i get free isdn (trying to), yay, i'll see you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

<2p's worth> If the IQ3CL gets started up again with clans like PS, 7, H, etc. playing, Clan Acid aren't going to have much of a hope of winning. Do you think that's going to stop us entering? </2p>

Put 'em in your mouth and suck 'em
    Clan Acid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ya - i remember when i started playing, i never needed gamespy or anything, every night i would just go to quake3-1 and play because there were always people there. I thought it was just because the IQ3CL ended that things had gone quiet - but i still enjoy quake, because i'm playing so much with BiO. its the inactivity of the clans that makes it less enjoyable, playing on english public servers is not much fun. the league will definitely spark new life into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

QuakeWorld is horoin, Quake 3 is methidone (however its meant to be spelt)

quake 3 is pills,
    and after all... its just the pills lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

QUAKEWORLD CLAN ARENA LEAGUE!
    PLAY FOR FUN AGAIN AND KICK CG'S AZZ OFF DA PLANET!

Seriously tho, I think this CA league has had some of the most fun matches ever played.

The epic 7o9 Vs EZ that went down to that last player on the last round (me frown.gif) to decide it.
    CG Vs EZ was the same. The tension was unreal. Nerves were raw.
    FUN WAS RAMPANT. PLAY CA! www.clanarena.hk.st
    There will be a new season in autumn/winter probably:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ah sure ya know q2 is the best :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ah, nice one paladin - the site looks way better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

hehe, quake3 is fvking so lame. i realy dont enjoy it EVER. even when i win it still sucks hard.

i been watching some QW demos (on my dads pc) last few days.

Can u say phunExciteingWow?

hehe, go check the best clan of today, flaming fist. get some aKKe pov demos!

realy, go DL and watch these demos, so kewl. u must.
    http://ff.sn.umu.se/

after this Barrysworld League (or whatever its called)think ill start playing QW again.

If CPL didnt have so much money, no1 ells would have gone ot Q3, and all these other events that go on now, i think just do it, cos so many ppl want the CPL money.

a QW lan with $100,000? dont think u would see many players with Q3 still, bah the newbies who got it for Xmas and play once a month.

Still new tricks, new moves comin out from QW.

VIVA QW
    Q3 EAT MY SCAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

also, i managed to find old demo from my pov,
    UK-Ser vs SK at fusion, dm3.

demo still rocks today =)

ill upload it somware, cos i still get emails for my old qw demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Sounds like you, me and alot of other players have been thinking the same.

Did you read Giants Column on Challange-de.com yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I got sick of q3 ages back and it wasn't because of high pings or anything like that.
    The game lacks excitement or at least lacks the ablity to take over a player of any reasonable lenght of time.

CS thats a game I've been playing scene beta 2 it's the best online game around at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I know I've never really been playing much as of late, but here's my 0.02 euros worth...

QuakeWorld still is the best. No doubt about it. Quake 3 is fun, but nothing in comparison. I playing online for various reasons, but I still play loads of QW at home on the LAN in my house. I find myself playing Q3A and saying, "Fluff this, we'll play Quake!" and usually whoever I'm playing (brother or friends) agree.

Such is the fickle life of multiplayer games I suppose...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

yeah qw rocks, especially lpb duels and rocket arena(map arenax, simplest level design ever), and 4v4's with a team youre familiar with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

Quake III was no fun to me...bad connect ...fps nightmare on me machine...and gameplay wasnt all i had hoped for...so i stopped playing it altogether. I have continued playing Q2 all this time(jasus i rock) and have started playing QW.... never too late for fun.

As soon as the next big commercial FPS or similar game comes along pushing their hefty prize money QIII will die.

Its QW and Q2 for me...both very different...both very good. I may never be any good at QW, for as ol once said to me, "you need the reflexes of a two week old crack baby t play".....But tis fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

what servers do you play on collie?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Originally posted by creative:
    (jasus i rock)

UP THE BUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

damo....do you still use the same mail addy?

have you got irc?

if so see you there...

brither marcus .."sign it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

yeah, the same hotmail one....and yes and therefore ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Just thought I would say I just joined The Q3 scene and yes it does come across a wee bit limp. But , I am going to stick around anyway. I never played Quake and I am glad I did not. People seemed to have found it very hard to move on when the community died.

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , 'At TFC my son , I 0wnz j00'. Before I could speak in walks Dustin Hoffman in a giant Silk Worm costume and just then...it started to get weird...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Ah lads come on the fup
    q3 is an exelent game, win, lose, get raped, i always find it fun.
    granted i was'nd around in the days of qw and all but is q3 really THAT bad?

Advertisement