Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where all the fun gone!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Cheekymonkeys

ahaha all u muppets when q3 came out saying how good and better it was than qw and that your never looking back
    didnt take long for yiz to come back to qw did it? even q2 lasted longer

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

QW is like having some inject adrenaline directly into your temple.

The clan arena league has been vicous and fun. EZ v CG and GT v CG were unreal coming close (but not quite) to the excitment of watching Team.ie play in the last game of Rapture.

Q3 is good but how can anything compete...

See my post about servers etc. elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

good man havok smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

True although BiO are strangely hyper-active in a good sense and Diabolical Killers/Killahs is getting a team back... there are a good few dedicated quake3(ers) like havok, illkillya, mike, lorc, pr3d, rapier, and myself included.

It cant be just Quake3, it has to be the Irish community just like m1ke said, since its thriving in the UK and the main reason is that they've a lot of leagues. Can we say the same?

No.

Look what the ICAL and the BWEUROCUP did for quake, they brought it all together and people got excited, bring the IQ3CL back!!

<< Arf Arf >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭H-K

hmm ill throw a fresh perspective on this...
    i started D-K for Q3, kinda, just got players organised....then i went into the leaving cert and so i havent played quake at all for like 9 months, about the length of the q3 scene...now when im on irc or soemthing and bored, ill always head off to BW FFA, still outrageous fun...ive played q3 once and didn't like it.

The only game i'd play competitively on a modem is QW since i think the 4v4s are such fun its unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭H-K

and i wouldnt count on that either el_pres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

/me smiles evily at H-K

Bring it on girly girl.

When the Barrysworld league is over I shall assemble the "l33+est" QW clan you ever did see and we shall "0wn J00"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TwIsTeD DoNkEy

Look...tis fairly simple I think. Its the THIRD fookin version of the game. Like any game eg Streetfighter(remember that),there is always initial excitement once something very new comes out,which looks excellent and plays well too. But with quake,it has been around fer a few years....and as with anything else...people are gonna get less and less enthusiastic about it as time goes on.Its only natural.The only thing thats gonna achieve the same excitement or hype is probably gonna have to be a completely different type of game and not a Quake 4 or 5 or an Unreal Tourney : Super Edition. The longer the 3d shooting genre of gaming goes on without any real innovation apart from graphical....its just gonna become even more disinteresting. For a lot of us who started at q2 and for those who started WAYYYY before....they are many Im sure who at this tage having even played q3 a lot.....who couldnt be arsed putting in as much effort into the game as they had previously done with QW and Q2.Why ?? Because we just grow tired off the same stuff....why learn and learn this newER version of a game with its ****in niggly new shyte when we can just play with the older versions and have fun?
    Take Jedis comment on the fact that even after a long time playing Quake1,he still didnt know how to do certain things wheres as in Q3 theres nothing new.Well,thats because after so much time,youve seen these jumps and done like the rest of us. Weve seen the tricks fer ages now and while the graphics in Quake 3,4,5 will change ,the basic quake game rules wont.Thats why it appears dull to us. I know a lot of people who may only be starting Quake nowadays are excited and wonder why the rest of us arent but stick around fer a year or 2 and tell us then if yer still hyper over quake. Now I know there are still a few veterans out there who do manage to hold a large amount of interest but I just think that generally the feelin is ....q3...bah..its ok but does anyone wanna game of qw (q2 in some cases smile.gif )

[This message has been edited by TwIsTeD DoNkEy (edited 10-07-2000).]

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hit it right on the ceann Cyril.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's got nothing to do with it being more of the same. Q3 is sh'te. QW was much more the adrenalin junkie's game. I don't play Q3 so I can't say if it's suffered because of a bad Irish competitve scene but I think it's unrealistic to rely on Ireland. Everybody who wants to make playing Q3 better for themselves should play on the English servers, get involved with a clan that plays the English leagues. Like it or not this is a bigger and more vibrant scene for any game and it doesn't put us to shame if we can't match the scen. We are a small country and the best we can do is make people take notice by blowing their heads off on their server.
    I'm not going to start a 'what game is better' arguement suffice to say I still find myself laughing during a game of UT and I consider that what gaming should always be about. I have played CS a bit and agree it's a good game but does suffer from the 'oh no this map' every now and again. If you're not having fun try a different game or find a more vibrant place to play. And I don't want anybody to start comparing Network codes in games. If I can match lpbs on Wireplay and BW in UT (the one thats supposed to have **** code) then anyone half decent can.

M
    M

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I do not know, I have not seen him in over a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

he didn't come home yesterday. has he been misplaced?

I have no idea where he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

oh my, u have lost the beast?

I don't know about losing him, but I'm really loosing the plot over here, 2 months to go and it is nightmare junction at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

TwIsTeD DoNkEy
    said it perfectly

q2 is good. where's nicky?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

q3 is just an unexciting game
    sure it looks nice, but its just unexciting.

I like Quake 3, its nice. I also like cheese.

• Advertisement

I sense the connection...melted cheese looks like plasma blobs(and squelchy logger)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Bullet

Q3 excites me too.It excites me cos it reminds me that you are all distracted whilst I'm doing away with EL_PizzaHead's Mama's red armour(amour, oh the love), and taking her into the deadly fog for a good shafting.

biggrin.gif

cheese and quake3 - the connection
    my cheesy helmet and keyboard after afew months of quad/pent/rail/excellent/pummel-combos. cheesy elbows too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

so, andy, are you queer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

are you making a pass at him sam???

Yes, yes I am Sam.

But don't worry lad, I won't be coming on to you or anything like that, I think your fairly rotten.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

EL PRESIDENTE BENT!!!

podgeens secret involvement UNCOVERED! in next weeks instalment

[This message has been edited by sam (edited 13-07-2000).]

m00

Advertisement