Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

is it legal ????

Options
  • 04-02-2004 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

this may sound a little dodgy...but I was wondering if it was legal ?

lets say you found your car insurance would be cheaper with the Hibernian ignition thingy....but that takes a week to process and you want to be insured right away/
    could you ring another company that will cover you straight away tell them you will accept their higher premium and that you would be in to make the arrangements in a week.... a week passes and you don't go with the quote you said you would and you go with Hibernian

????

is this fraud ?
    as long as you don't have any run-ins with the Law or have an accident there is no reason why you would just not take the insurance ??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

er, the whole point of insurance is in case you have an accident....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

only reason i'm insured is because legally i have to be insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ignitionguy

yes, but in that space of time if a person did have an accident..they could simply pay for the premium they already agreed to

To me it seems like fraud, I was having a discussion about this issue last night and I was just wondering about the legal standpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Most companies will take the first months payment from you if they put you on conver.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

My Ignition result wasn't processed by the time I took out my Hibernian policy. I had phoned the main office and they told me I passed. The local office accepted this. Obviously they wanted a copy of the letter saying I'd passed within a week or so but the amount I paid was for the lower amount assuming that I'd passed it. If they got a letter saying that I'd failed I'd obviously have had to pay the difference (hint). They didn't send out the disc until they knew that I'd paid the full amount due but I did get a note to carry around with me.

Actually the main office gave me an even lower quote than the broker had arranged so I jumped ship as well.

"I'll be in to make the arrangements in a week" won't cut it if you're not actually insured for that week. I got AXA to extend my insurance for a few hours about two years ago as I wasn't going to be down until later than I'd thought (and later than the runout time). They were very nice about it, knew I was planning on going with a different company but pointed out that if I had an accident in that extra time I'd have to renew my insurance with them for the year (and pay the money for the year) to fulfil the consideration part of the contract. I assume that if I did have an accident and refused to renew my policy with them that the policy could be deemed void (or at least voidable) in retrospect as there would have been no money paid.

See if your existing company will extend the policy for a few days. Be charming. Or call into Hibernian and get them to issue the policy provisionally with the lower payment on the assumption that you've passed. Be charming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by ignitionguy
    lets say you found your car insurance would be cheaper with the Hibernian ignition thingy....but that takes a week to process and you want to be insured right away/
    could you ring another company that will cover you straight away tell them you will accept their higher premium and that you would be in to make the arrangements in a week.... a week passes and you don't go with the quote you said you would and you go with Hibernian/B]
    If you don't pay for insurance cover you don't have it. You say "uh I'll be back in a week to sort the money out". They say "ok, but you aren't covered till you give us the money".

This really isn't a hard concept...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

I know what ignition guy is talking about, basically when you're given a quotation over the phone, you are offered 7days free cover with most companies. Now, generally the free cover is done to give u time to forward on relevant documentation and payment.

If the company doesnt receive either in the 7 days the policy is automatically cancelled........... it isn't fraud or anything like that its simply abuse of the free cover that insurance cos. provide, u are still legally covered to drive the car for the 7 days but unless u have a good excuse for not taking out the policy the insurance co would be reluctant to offer u the 7 days free cover and probably would not offer an installment plan in future.

Peter

Advertisement