Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broad

• 04-02-2004 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

jsut got earcom in yesterday, was on esat in last house, cant get mail from my iol email account using outlook express, rang cust serv bout this and eventually they said that i cant get the mail down as is a competitors mail service!!! the bloody cheek methiks, anyone know any ways around this other than having all mails on iol forwarded to an eircom account, want to pull down mails to the pc as account woulf fill every few days otherwise
    is there a better free alternative to outlook i could use?

thanks in advance (i hope)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by tumtac
    jsut got earcom in yesterday, was on esat in last house, cant get mail from my iol email account using outlook express, rang cust serv bout this and eventually they said that i cant get the mail down as is a competitors mail service!!! the bloody cheek methiks, anyone know any ways around this other than having all mails on iol forwarded to an eircom account, want to pull down mails to the pc as account woulf fill every few days otherwise
    is there a better free alternative to outlook i could use?

thanks in advance (i hope)

emm to be clear-
    you dial up eircomnet
    yoou want to download your email from iol
    and you can't?

btw whose customer service department did you ring?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you have the correct setttings for your iol account you should be able to download your mail no problem. Did you install the Eircom settings from a cd by any chance that might have overwritten your old settings?

Check the account settings in outlook express (should be under Tools) and see if the email settings are still there. IF not you will need to set up your account again for iol. You can usually access any account if you have the correct settings. As one of the posters says below you do not even need to use an eircom account at all you can continue to use your old one as long as its set up properly.

I dont know which IOL set up you had but all the necessary settings seem to be hereIOL email settings

The only thing to be careful of is that in the smtp box you put mail1.eircom.net. If you dont do that you will have problems with sending emails.

the eircom settings are here in case you need them

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=64,E=0000000000008603543,K=8734,Sxi=0,Question385=obj(385):obj(393)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Just forget about the Eircom mail account.

You just need to configure your iol mail settings to continue using the incoming iol mail server, and reconfigure your outgoing server with the Eircom SMTP server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tumtac

1/
    am on eircom broadband

2/
    have @iol address

3/
    rang eircom cust serv and tehy said i cant use iol address as banned for some reason unknown to me. am gonna get on to them again this eve but hate frustrating myself!

dub, will try when back home tomorow, tried numerous times last night, but to no avail. ah well when all else fails try some gentle persuasion, kick the shet out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by tumtac
    dub, will try when back home tomorow, tried numerous times last night, but to no avail. ah well when all else fails try some gentle persuasion, kick the shet out of it

ok
    telnet from the command line
    eg P:\>telnet pop.iolfree.ie 110

do you get an ok prompt..
    (i know that is the correct mail server for iol free accounts)

will try tht either tonight or tom, thanks, is a subscription accoutn on iol gold, that make a difference???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

dial up != broadband

This belongs in nets/comms tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

outgoing mail server: mail1.eircom.net
    incoming mail server: pop.iol.ie

I have an 'user@iol.ie' email account and on eircom broadband. It works fine with those settings

Advertisement