Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish equivilant to Echelon

Options
  • 04-02-2004 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

is there an irish equivilant to Echelon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by wild_eyed

As in the crowd that monitor communications ? I doubt it as the idea of an "intelligence community" is unheard of in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 telemekus

Yes, it called gossip!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

can echelon monitor everything? i.e. data going from pc to yellum's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by wild_eyed

Yes, in the Phoenix Park Depot.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Ireland is part of the Echelon project and has been for some time now..

the inauguration was back in dublin castle at the International Law Enforcement
    Telecommunications Seminar (ILETS)

There is a satellite uplink station in middleton county cork..owned by eircom that sniffs everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

there's also the 3 year data retention act :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

err what has this to do with broadband ?

Originally posted by theciscokid
    Ireland is part of the Echelon project and has been for some time now..

the inauguration was back in dublin castle at the International Law Enforcement
    Telecommunications Seminar (ILETS)

There is a satellite uplink station in middleton county cork..owned by eircom that sniffs everything!

:eek: wow :eek: , i didnt know that, v interesting.............
    thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

well its a surfing issue :p #

by the way www.echelonwatch.org is a site to watch umm, yeah

not too long ago you may have heard the codename "steaknife" that was a suspected ira or informer etc..

that was on echelon's list of words, (a few years old now) i ain't going to post a list of them, google it , its not that hard to find!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bizmark
    err what has this to do with broadband ?

i thought it was more relevant in broadband, because more and more people are opting for broadband's always on connection and these are issues that may predominately effect them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

It’s more suited here

Though I personal just see some people on about a conspiracy
    :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Muck
    Yes, in the Phoenix Park Depot.

I still remember the time they turned on the Green Man system and knocked out TV reception in half of Limerick. :) In terms of comms, there are a number of interested government agencies and the military also has an intelligence arm. Ireland has always been a major part of the West's communication infrastructure. Even the weather forecast that gave the go-ahead for D-Day came from Ireland.

Actually most of the comms systems in use are amazingly easy to tap and the encryption being used is trivial (eg GSM) for a state level organisation to break. Speaking as someone working for NSA.ie of course. ;)

Regards...jmcc@nsa.ie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by yellum
    As in the crowd that monitor communications ? I doubt it as the idea of an "intelligence community" is unheard of in Ireland.

You would be very silly to think that Ireland dosn't have a very well devloped "intelligence community". The reason the brits have one has a lot to do with NI and same goes for us. We have specfic Army and Garda intelligance units and a special cross over between the two. From what little iv heard they are very good at what they do.

Advertisement