Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFaiku

• 04-02-2004 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Eighty smackers for
    Eircom wi-fi-at-home deal -
    Get real, airheads!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Just become an access point... and you'll get free broadband:
    How does it work?
    By becoming an eircom wireless broadband hotspot, visitors to your premises can gain easy and immediate access to the Internet without the need to 'plug in'.

We are committed to making wireless hotspots available throughout Ireland. So we're delighted to provide venue owners with the Internet connectivity and the installation of wireless base stations FREE OF CHARGE to set up your hotspots. Base stations provide wireless broadband access within 100 metres.

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

I was looking for the prices of the scratch cards and in fact there's on sale just for the access point so... if they wish! they can offer that to their clients... one cappucino, one hour access, it will be great!

//Me wishing Mister O'Brien or Mister Nude are reading this post!! //

Raphael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Irish Times today, page 21: Eircom offers Wi-Fi for home users.

The Times says:

"...Alternatively, customers can choose a wireless broadband connection at €80 per month for unlimited usage at any Eircom 'hotspot'."

(The article is mainly about a home wifi modem (€149 including VAT), which will give i-stream users the option to use wireless at home.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by luckat
    Irish Times today, page 21: Eircom offers Wi-Fi for home users.

The Times says:

"...Alternatively, customers can choose a wireless broadband connection at €80 per month for unlimited usage at any Eircom 'hotspot'."

(The article is mainly about a home wifi modem (€149 including VAT), which will give i-stream users the option to use wireless at home.)
    I don't think they're actually offering "wi-fi for home users" as such - they're trying to roll out wi-fi hotspots in high traffic areas. If you happen to live within 100 metres (with no walls) of one of these hotspots, then you can get an "oreillycom hotspot" account with them that will allow you to use any hotspot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eircom will charge €10 per hour for customers to use the Free hotspot.

If you get ONE person for ONE hour TWICE a week you could pay for a years Netsystem ADSL including WiFi AP etc. Or if a punter pays for a full day once a week (€20) or if a punter signs up for a month (€80)

ie. the second & cubsequent customers are pure profit.

That is why Eircom are offering it "FREE"

I'll say it again - most places spend more than a grand a year cleaning the toilets ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Bah, just get one of these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/network/20031016/index.html

Pricey, but extremely kick ass.

Advertisement