Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COM programming question

Options
  • 04-02-2004 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hello,

At the moment I'm developing my final year project. It has to communicate with a nokia 6310i via bluetooth link.

The nokia web site provide an SDK for this purpose however it is written in VB6.0 format. What i want to do is to write my project in C# and still have access to the SDK because without it ... well i'm not even going to go there.

So can i compile the Nokia SDK into a DLL say and then reference it from my C# program and have access to all the function within the SDK? Or is it a case of compiling a COM Dll and then referencing that from C# program.

Anyway, you can see i'm indeed of a bit of schooling regarding how COM works... so any pearls you throw my way would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Originally posted by Peace
    Hello,

The nokia web site provide an SDK for this purpose however it is written in VB6.0 format. What i want to do is to write my project in C# and still have access to the SDK because without it ... well i'm not even going to go there.

Do you mean the SDK sample code is written in VB, or the SDK itself is an ActiveX object?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Hi Jedidja,

The SDK sample code is written in VB, its downloadable from their website.

Upon further investigation the SDK seems to have added in the references into the .Net IDE already. So now i just have to include the reference to the file i need , say the make phone call classes , and away i go. So accessing the object in the SDK seems to be doable now. I simply have to read the documentation on how each object/funtion works and should be able to go from there, in theory ;).:eek:

I was just thinking that i'd have to play around with the nokia SDK and make some sort of COM Dll or whatever before i could use it. Things have gotten a lot simpler now.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

It seems strange to get an api as vb source code. Are you sure there is not a dll file with the SDK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Originally posted by clearz
    It seems strange to get an api as vb source code. Are you sure there is not a dll file with the SDK.

Indeed it would be strange!

Thats my fault, i didn't notice that the reference were pointing to a load of .idl files....

Advertisement