Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for Part Time Student?

Options
  • 04-02-2004 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I am doing a Comp Degree at Night. I had to leave it for approx 2 years, due to some personal stuff that was going on.

I signed up to it again (only have 2 subjects and a project to do), I started the project, but between work and everything else, I havent been able to get anything done, now there's just 2 - 3 months left to get it done. What's worse is when I do have time, I just cant get into it at all. like a serious lack of motivation.

Anyone been in this situation b4? What did you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Chocca
    ... I havent been able to get anything done, now there's just 2 - 3 months left to get it done. What's worse is when I do have time, I just cant get into it at all. like a serious lack of motivation.

Anyone been in this situation b4? What did you do?
    I'm in that situation right now :(
    7 weeks to get my project in and I have very little done. No motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chocca

Im thinking of

/1 Either Trying to Defer (Which i have done before), so I think they'll just put me down as a fail...

or

(Something I was going to do ages ago), change to a different collage (Possibly DCU if I could) and have to work the last year or two out again, which I think would be the best option for me. I think been out of collage for so long and then going back is 1/2 my problem, as well, as there's now about 80% less people in my job, but were doing the same amount of work, it's always nuts.

Lodsa FUN :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

If you are unsure about continuing and don't want to talk with any of the lecturers, I'd suggest have a chat with one one of the student counsellors. They are aware of the pressure on part-time students and will probably help you negotiate something with the department if you decide to defer/stay. You should be able to chat with one on the phone if getting to college during office hours is a problem.

I've been in sort of a similar situation (but was doing a thesis rather than exams) and in my case I decided to continue.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

TO be honest, Do the work... how hard can it be?!

John

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Not putting things as bluntly as my lumpy friend there, but often when I find that I can't get stuck into doing some course work, I find that the trick is to actually just get stuck into it. I.e, take out a pen and pad, or text editor or word processor or whatever is relevant to your situation and just try to start working on the problem or question. There's a very thin line between being motivated and just getting into certain good habits that get the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Originally posted by ecksor
    Not putting things as bluntly as my lumpy friend there, but often when I find that I can't get stuck into doing some course work, I find that the trick is to actually just get stuck into it. I.e, take out a pen and pad, or text editor or word processor or whatever is relevant to your situation and just try to start working on the problem or question. There's a very thin line between being motivated and just getting into certain good habits that get the job done.

What ecksor says is very true. i've sat on my ass before knowing i had a project to do and couldn't motivate my myself to start it. then all i did was sit down and said to myself "I'm just gonna start a little bit, not do the whole thing in a day".

I lose track of time and had alot of the project done by the end of the day.

Advertisement