Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Cap for this month

• 04-02-2004 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Has anyones IOL BB cap been stuck at 0.0 GB Up/Down for the entire month (all 4 days so far)?. Mine has not changed from 0.0Gb and I have Downloaded at least 4-5GB, I dont mind this as long as I wont be disconnected on the 10th or something.....so I'm wondering has/is anyone been in this situation?. I dont know what my cap is like and I cant use DuMeter (I have 3 computers on the net).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

those data bases can be very slow to update
    it will probably show up eventually
    im with eircom last month i had 4 gb downloaded and it took over a week for it to show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It has NEVER taken this long to update for me usually as soon as I disconnect (my router) and reconnect the data has been updated....it's been 4 days and still 0.0GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

mines at 0.0 too and i`ll have downloaded 3gb by now.
    in all fairness it should update to 3gb at all, false information. Its there for a reason, no warning is given even.
    although my usage updated daily, people sya its ment to do it every time u connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Mines at 2.1GB.. updates when I power cycle the modem

power cycle ?

• Advertisement

Power off, power on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

My usage counter has been on zero since the start of the month too ! It's not worrying me too much as I rarely approach the cap but I imagine some would be annoyed.

I HATE the term POWER CYCLE, it's spread around my workplace like wildfire. It's normally used by people who want to sound like they're intelligent . . muppets !!! Er no offence Emerson :) You don't work in the airport by any chance do you ?

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

"Power Cycle" HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

The web counter is not the only way they are tracking the usage, if you go over the cap because the usage says 0 you are naive and can expect to be cut off until the end of the month - nowhere in the TOC does it say the web usage is the definitive counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I've had this issue since last month. If I look at my History it says that the last time I logged on was Jan 21 :) It did, however, reset to 0 at the beginning of the month.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tinky
    I HATE the term POWER CYCLE, it's spread around my workplace like wildfire. It's normally used by people who want to sound like they're intelligent . . muppets !!! Er no offence Emerson :) You don't work in the airport by any chance do you ?

Tinky
    hmmm.. Doesn't bother me.. I've always used it and no I don't work in the airport or in any associated industry for that matter.

"Plug it out and then plug it back in" sounds a bit clumsy to me.

What about RESET ?

Tinky

I wouldn't want to offend those who dislike that term :rolleyes:
    Besides resesting is often distinguished from powering off and on. There is no reset button on this modem.

yadyada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Back on topic lad's

Sorry Bizmark.

Tinky

Originally posted by kida
    The web counter is not the only way they are tracking the usage
    So what is and why dont they tell me what my cap is like on the web page - it has worked fine for months.

They are obviously having issues with their tracking mechanism. You could be lucky in that the problem lies in capturing the data. The problem could also be displaying the data and that internally they are tracking it.

If you go over you run the risk of being cut off as you would have broken the CAP and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on - you don't accidentally download over 8 GB in 10 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭substr

you don't accidentally download over 8 GB in 10 days.
    or 5 days in my case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

well my CAP is at Zero - we have 3 users of the line here , plus I host for 2 xboxes on LIVE - so I'd like to know where I stand with my CAP, its worked perfect until Sunday.

At least if I had some idea of how much I've used, I'd be able to curtail some downloads.

well, dang ive downloaded around 3 gb !

• Advertisement

I dont think it's a problem with the display part of the code (it's a cgi script) the code hasn't changed (why should it?) so its the data being passed onto the display part of the program that is wrong.... Obviously I'm guessing but I'd go with that as being the prob - displaying basic info is not difficult.

The problem could in tranferring data from the tracking logger to the display system.

The data could be logged somewhere and just not made it to where it is displayed. I would be very vary about going over the cap. Whats to say the automatic disconnecter uses the same database as the displayer? More likely it would be based on the one that is logging the data(which we don't know is not working).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

Shutup they might notice! Sounds like i may have to go on a downloading binge!

Whats to say the automatic disconnecter uses the same database as the displayer? More likely it would be based on the one that is logging the data(which we don't know is not working).
    Cause it adds extra layers of complication to the system. Outputing info is very easy and should take nothing to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Can have more than one computer hooked up to the net with IOL? i was checking their site and it says only one can be used. also whats the story with people who have gone over the monthly cap on a regular basis?

your call m8- but reckon its risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Originally posted by Devious
    Can have more than one computer hooked up to the net with IOL? i was checking their site and it says only one can be used. also whats the story with people who have gone over the monthly cap on a regular basis?

you can have as many as you want ! what they mean in the T&C is the modem they give you will only work with 1 machine at a time. I'm running 4PCs , 1 Laptop and 2 xboxes.

Going over Cap = cut off for rest of the month.

Not sure how much above you need to go but I was cut off while under 10GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Just to say, mine is showing 0.0 too.

It says last log in on Jan 26th

I thought you can go over the cap but they bill the hell out of you when you do.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by cregser
    Just to say, mine is showing 0.0 too.

It says last log in on Jan 26th

I thought you can go over the cap but they bill the hell out of you when you do.
    Same numbers as me^^^ na they just dump you off the internet for the rest of the month:mad:. So far I'm OK though - I've gotten at least 5-6GB by Monday if I'm still on I'll know for sure they haven't a clue what is going on with the cap.

Advertisement