Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay voice

Options
  • 01-02-2004 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone knows that when you hear your own voice recorded it sounds weird?

Well I recently heard my own voice, male, and realised that there is a certain stereotypical "gay" tone to it.

I played it to someone else, and he said that is it just the Irish accent, but I remain unconvinced.

I am not gay, and this is not a thread about about self exploration, but rather over my worry that this tone is sending the wrong signals, and is certainly not beneficial.

I welcome any comments on this issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

If someone else says it's just the Irish accent, maybe he's right.

Besides, it'll take more than your supposed 'gay voice' to convince people that you're gay. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Unfortunately some people pick qualities from others to pigeon-hole them into stereotypes. How you sound is part of who you are.

Don't bother yourself worrying what other people think of you.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Posted this b4 but never appeared.

Everyone knows that hearing your own voice played back sounds weird.

I recently heard mine, and noticed that it sounds a bit gay, in the stereotypical sense. I am not of such a persuasion, and this is not a post about exploration, but rather over my worry.

Someone else told me that the voice just sound "Irish", and so it does but there is a certain tone in it.

Anyway, comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Yes some people will probably label you as gay because your voice fits the stereotype, although they will be in a strict minority unless you also fit all the other ignorant stereotypes out there as well such as the mincing walk and the rubbery wrist joints.

But do you really need to worry about those that live by believing stereotypes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by guestguest
    I played it to someone else, and he said that is it just the Irish accent, but I remain unconvinced.[/B]

Dam you. People ask am I from the UK, Germany, etc.

Also, have ye thought of singing?
    You could say every boy-band sounds "gay". Listen to some metal. Usually its rough voice's. U listen to westlife, you hear a feminine voice.
    And once ye can sing well, the ladies will go to ye. And then lets see anyone slag you about having a "gay" voice.

Actually never heard a true "gay" voice. I know 2 gays. I only know, cos they told me. They don't have a "special" "gay" voice.

Advertisement