Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you carry spare fuses/relays?

Options
  • 04-02-2004 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Today at about 5 pm the fuse which controls the wiper blade motor blew, thankfully the rain had passed and I was under broken cloud and only 2 miles from the nearest garage who kindly gave me a couple free.

Earlier I had been driving on the N7 at speed in heavy persistent rain so thank God it blew when it did...Anyway its taught me a lesson and I'll be buying a set of spares tomorrow!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I'd be more concerned with why it blew in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

I always carry a spare few with me these days. Had a bad experience when I was coming back from the UK a few years ago - I knew there was a fault (short) somewhere, but didn't have time before I left the UK to get it sorted. I put a couple of new fuses in before the trip. 20 mins from the house and just on the M25 a couple blew from the middle panel - resulting in me having no radio/cassette and no heater for the 5hr journey to the boat. I tried to replace them enroute though and kept getting shocks off the fuse panel so left it.
    I was pretty cold and pretty hoarse when I got to the boat I can tell you!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I carry a few spare fuses though don't carry spare relays. I would doubt if many motorists carry spare relays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

Yeah that's probably true - I was only talking about fuses myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by John R
    I'd be more concerned with why it blew in the first place.

I suspect age...the car is 1990 and I'd bet this weeks pay check that most, of not all the fuses are the ones that were fitted in Stutgart. This weeks weather has been er wet and I've driven about 20 hours in the car
    most of which with the wiper going.

Of course if it blows again I'll have to do some detective work.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I carry a pile of different rated ones in the cars ashtray. Never know when they mightr come in useful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I got a kit in Halfords in Belfast which contains all spare bulbs Im likely to need along with a couple of fuses. Dead handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by kbannon
    I got a kit in Halfords in Belfast which contains all spare bulbs Im likely to need along with a couple of fuses. Dead handy!

Ah something i've always meant to do - just like joining the RAC:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Yep, I always carry spare fuses and blubs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

isn't carrying spare bulbs one of those necessary evils for driving on the continent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by kbannon
    isn't carrying spare bulbs one of those necessary evils for driving on the continent?

Yep, in some countries you have to have things like a first aid kit, a spare set of glasses if you wear them etc.

On my fuse problem I got it wrong! A fuse had blown but not the wiper motor one, that was simply the wrong
    type of fuse - it was an 8a when it should be 16a. The fuse that blew was for the rear window de-mister. I checked the fuse box in better light today and a number of them are wrong strength with 3 16a fuses missing having been "replaced" by 8 ampers. I'm suprised problems have'nt shown long before now. The previous owner can't have been paying much attention.

Mike.

Advertisement