Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountjoy to close?

Options
  • 04-02-2004 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I see here that Mountjoy may be closed and a new prison built in a greenfield site.

This is a great idea. Sell the site for 10's of millions and with the money build a modern new facility that much more suited to the needs of prisoners and taxpayers.

We could build one facility for all the prisoners in the state and with the use of modern technology (automatic doors, gates etc.) reduce the dependence on money grabbing prison officers. You know that there are more prison officers than prisoners in this state - that must be unique in the world!

But will the politicos do this or just build another prison designed in such a way that we require at least one prison officer per prisoner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by capistrano

We could build one facility for all the prisoners in the state

Not very practical for visiting or for court appearances and many other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The site will be sold to private develppers for a vast amount of money but McDowell will still build replacement facilities through "public Private parterships" in otherwords he's gonna privatise prison services.
    Which is a bad idea

And no i haven't got any statements to back this up but mark my words, its whats gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    Not very practical for visiting or for court appearances and many other reasons.

Spike Island wasn't very practical for visiting either; anyway I'm not too concerned about visiting. As for court appearances, most of these appearances should be done by video link.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

Originally posted by Akrasia
    The site will be sold to private develppers for a vast amount of money but McDowell will still build replacement facilities through "public Private parterships" in otherwords he's gonna privatise prison services.
    Which is a bad idea

And no i haven't got any statements to back this up but mark my words, its whats gonna happen

I don't think they will privatise the Mountjoy replacement because of the corss-section of prisoners. It's a volatile lot.

If privatisation happens it will start with lower risk prisoners.

All McDowell wants to do is save money for the taxpayers, whichever way he can. We are paying way too much for our over-staffed prison service.

Why is it that we have more prison officers per prisoner than any other country and still they all need to do massive amounts of overtime. Go figure!

Advertisement