Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake Servers

Options
  • 09-07-2000 11:53pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It comes down to this.

Ol very kindly put up some Q3 servers, a war server, a duel server and a Pro-Mode server.

Unfortunately they cannot all stay up. There are other games out there to support and we're dreafully stuck for server power.

One thing that hasnt been commented on with q3 is the server requirements. Its a hog. It could be fried up and served between two bits of bread for a nice bacon buttie.

At the very most I think we can spare enough resources for 2 Q3 servers.

We dont have any Q2 servers, and we have only the one QW server.

My plan is to leave up the Q3 vanilla with OSP on it. That will have to double as the duel server and CTF server.

We'll put up a PROMODE server to see how it goes (also with OSP) and if one dominates over the other we may remove the lesser used one.

CS/TFC is widely played and we'll have to look at the load on those servers.

QW needs a duel/war server for old times sake but it cant be on one of the new boxes. We'll see what can be done about that. CA is going to need a temporary League server. "Temporary" as in it can be started for the league night and taken down after the games.

Is there a desire for Q2 to come back? It would have to be at the expense of another server.

There will be other games we need to support and we're trying to arrange more resources. Stay tuned...

Anyone have suggestions? Comments? (like I have to ask).

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

can u stick up the server addys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

when vishnu is up, i don't think we need games1.iol.ie:27960 at all, but vishnu is not always there (is that down permanently or something?).
    Even when vishnu is down, 2 ordinary servers is a alot, because 1 of them is always empty and with OSP on it, we could vote on the gametype and timelimit.
    The promode server is good, and I think people will always be using that, but we definitely need an ordinary server too for clan matches and stuff.
    Even though the duel server is very handy, I wouldn't mind duelling in promode when there is a tdm on the ordinary server. I pity the CS people, because their servers are always full...
    So I would say that if you have to get rid of a server, you should get rid of the duel server games1.iol.ie:27961 because we can duel on 27960 or on the promode server as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I think you should put VISHNU back up. It gives the best pings for me, top pings... a good server for anyone using indigo/eircom as an ISP.

Also I think all Quake3 servers should be removed except the Vanilla Quake3 server running OSP. Today in the BiO v LSD friendly the server preformance was frankly, a disgrace. When warming up on the server the cable modemer and the lad on a 100meg connex had great connections stable, so did all the ISDN'ers... when the match started everyones ping spiked, the cable modemers and janet lad got totally WOEFUL conncetions spiking freezing every second. Even the Irish isdners were suffering severe spiking... my ping would go from 50 up to 90 in fights... Havoks ISDN 50 ping went off the scale and he dissed.
    The problem was predominantly packletloss so I had the lads run a tracert on games1.iol.ie , low pings and no packetloss were found.... this is obviously a server issue then... can the server be sorted out please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Well everyone knows my love of QW smile.gif
    A temperory CA server 4 the league?
    Does this mean no CA server as stnadard?
    just wonderin :-/
    I might try out Q3promode now that we have a serv for it. Good on ya Ol smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

i would love to play q2 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

i think leave up a vanilla quake server and trial the promode server...
    C if anyone is using it..
    i tink a quake2 server is a good idea cause there are still allot of irish games playing q2 so a irish server would b good...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

There would want to be a Q2 server up when I get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

A Q2 server would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

I'd love a qw war server, when i started playin quake ca was played all the time as preferred to wars and i never really got a chance to play them, i sometimes play wars but it's hard to find people to play.
    If u put up a quake2 server i might even consider buying the game smile.gif, thats about the limit my computer can take so i've no opinion on the quake3 servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Yeah I'd like to play q2 again. ain't played it in close on a year or more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TwIsTeD DoNkEy

Aye
    q2 Irish Server would be much appreciated. Even down in UL there are a lot of q2ers around cos q3 cant be setup by students on lab machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Cannt you turn promode on and off with a pro mode server? By a game flag? Not sure if you can with standalone servers, but if you can that'd be another reason to keep it up.
    People could change the mode as they felt like
    Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Your ping jumped to 90! FFS that's not on! smile.gif

OM

I actually agree with m1ke tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

q2 server would be excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TwIsTeD DoNkEy

RIGHT ! TIS SETTLED smile.gif
    YIS CAN SHTART PUTTIN UP DE Q2 SERVER ANY MINUTE NOW SO !
    ME FINGERS ARE TWITCHIN FER A GAME !

FROM
    THRIGGER FINGOR

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

It is good to see that there is still an active interest in Q2.It would be much appreciated if a Q2 server was stuck up.That game is such fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

So Dev, is it a Spinsol server, an IGN server, a POG server or what?
    Just to clear it up like, I thought that was the Team.ie server, and I'm sure that's the reason why OL put up the extra Q3 servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

What about a doom server, your forgetting the game that started it all, ping doesnt matter a fuk smile.gif

Eh bai, geeze a batter booorggeer an' cheezze please, whooper fizzy soda an' a bit a caaaake.

(And a Q2 server too please, where are the napkins?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

a Q2 server? what next, a vanilla winquake ctf server? smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

on the Q3 servers, most of the time they're empty, i've still not managed to get a game of pro mode .... as its mostly deserted

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ronan as you well know...

Its an IGN box hosted by IOL, we've chosen to support the team by giving them priority on that server in terms of usage. Hence the "welcome" on the Q3 game-server. I'm sure, unless you've changed something without my knowledge that Team.ie doesnt play duels nor promode.

The box also supports our main CS server and will have other elements hosted on it in the near future. Right now if we were to go by usage patterns we would only have CS and CA servers.

Q2 will be supported again, we are shuffling things to find the capacity.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

team ie duels to improve their skill at the game, you cant get good aim from just playing wars, you need duel too

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

quakeworld war server nuff said smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

yay q2, playing duels last night with [daLi]Huge_Insect and cA|Creative. some laugh. q3 truly is a waste of mindspace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

How about a fuping page listing all the ign servers. I'm sick of constantly looking for them. Yes I normally would have them on Gamespy but every now and again I uninstall that piece of sh]te only to reinstall it as the best alternative. Grrr I hate it when you have no choice.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

There is a page afaik www.ign.ie/servers isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

that page dont seem to be updated anyways
    check out
    http://www.skynet.ie/~podgeen/serverstat/servers.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

Micheal from NetShop.ie, the lads who are hosting a new cs server on a esat 10meg backbone is willing to host a Quake 3 server too, so no worries smile.gif

<< Arf Arf >>

Advertisement