Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home LAN problem

Options
  • 04-02-2004 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

stori is as follows...have a pc and a laptop and a crossover cable.

ip addys are the same range 192.168.xxx.xxx
    subnet 255.255.255.0

workgroup is the same.

both are running Windows XP Pro with SP1 and relevant updates [pc would have the more recent updates than the laptop]

I can see my laptop on the network from my pc...but I cant see the pc from my laptop.

I can access the laptop etc from the pc but when I run the ip of the pc from the laptop it sez not found.

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Built in firewall?.... try disabling it, its in Start -> Settings -> Network Connections
    right click on your lan connection and select properties, click on the advanced tab ... thar she blows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I currently have the same setup as that. The way I normaly do it and only way it tends to work is have the ip's one off.
    In your range than would be pc at 192.168.10.100
    laptop at 192.168.10.101

Subnets the same. The update do cause problems I've noticed. Some of them mask different parts and it all get very messy. It more than likely the xp firewall tho or the settings in simple file sharing on the pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

it's not the firewall anyway. It's disabled on both of them.

I'll re-check the file sharing setup when I get more time.

Easy way to do it is turn off file sharing. Reboot and turn it back on and reboot again. It should set it all back to defaults and sort out the problems if it in the simple settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

make sure filesharing is enabled! then try going to start, run, \\192.168.0.4\ (where that IP address is that of the sharing PC)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

turn off simple file sharing

sorted lads. thanks.

np

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Kaimera, what did you do to sort it, I am having similar probs on a friends network. Two computers network ok, but ics will not work. Have swapped both computers (client/host) but still will not work. Have rebooted and run ics more times than I can remember. Both computers set to automatic settings using dchp. Driving me mad..Please help

I am just wondering if it is the cable. I didnt install it nor did I check it. If it was not a crossover cable just a long patch cable would the network still work?

it turned out to be that I had the XP firewall still on on one connection.
    When i rebooted the next day all was well again in the world of LAN-ing :)

no need to use dhcp.

assign two ip addy's [even take the two examples above] yourself.
    subnet 255.255.255.0

turn off the firewall on each lan connection and enable simple file-sharing on each pc.

make sure both machines are in the same workgroup and then bob's yore uncle...both machines should show up under Network Places/Workgroup Computers.

hope that helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement