Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copying files from XP to linux

Options
  • 05-02-2004 12:18am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭

2 PCs connected via router, one linux, one XP. They can ping one another.
    How do I copy a folder from the XP to the linux PC, given that samba, ssh and some ftp programs are all installed?
    When I try to connect to XP from linux with gFTP, the connection is refused, for all usernames. Telnet is likewise refused. Network neighborhood in XP sees the samba server, but can only access the printer, no folders.
    Should be easy enough but I'm missing some simple step.
    Any help appreciated.

P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

use FTP

run command prompt in XP

ftp

open (ip of linux box goes here)

mput * or mput* (copies contents of directory you command prompt into on XP box to ftp site)

? (gives you ftp help in XP , google for finer details)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Download winscp (http://winscp.sf.net) and connect to the host that way. It uses the ssh protocol to move files around. Winscp gives you a nice draggy droppy interface to it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Meant to get back to this earlier. After messing about with all kinds of ftp software and CLI commands on both ends (windows command line ftp wouldn't allow me to mput for some reason), I just opened an explorer window, typed in the ip address of the linux box and drag-and-dropped. Sometimes the most obvious solution is the best :)
    Cheers,
    P

Advertisement