Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a PC & buying a laptop - advice

• 05-02-2004 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

I'm thinking about selling my pc and buying a laptop and need a bit of advice on the cost. The pc is a 3-year old Dell Dimension - Pentium III, 133mhz, 128mb ram, CD-DVD, Windows ME. It's in excellent condition cos it's hardly used so I'm wondering how much I should sell it for?

I'm looking to replace it with a laptop - nothing fancy - similar spec to the pc but am looking for XP. Any suggestions on what I should go for - and of how much I'd be likely to be paying?

(Hope this is the right place to be asking btw :) ).

Thanks,
    Burd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

100-200 quid if your lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

Whoops! Thought I was posting this in the Technology forum there - you might want to move this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Mocking Burd
    Pentium III, 133mhz
    133Mhz is the bus speed, yeah? If you're advertising it anywhere people might want to know the actual speed of the processor
    (if it's actually 133Mhz, 'tain't a P3)

Originally posted by sceptre
    133Mhz is the bus speed, yeah? If you're advertising it anywhere people might want to know the actual speed of the processor
    (if it's actually 133Mhz, 'tain't a P3)

Yessum - Processor's 1Ghz. Here's the full spec:-

Dimension L 1Ghz MMT Video 256K with Floppy Drive
    128MB PC133 SDRAM Memory
    20GB IDE
    16X DVD-ROM Drive
    DVD Software for Win ME only **
    17in Value Pearl White Monitor
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster 64v Audio for Dimension
    NMB 605 Speakers
    56.6k V.90 Data/Fax/Voice Internal PCI Modem
    MS Windows ME
    MS Works Suite 2001

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

You could build yourself that same/better spec mahine for about €400 depending on where you look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

ON boards I'd say €150 seems like a fair price....

Thanks joePC

Thanks for the replies. I won't be selling it on Boards :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Thanks for the replies. I won't be selling it on Boards :p

Dude, you would be doing well to get €150 for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

computers are becoming so cheap!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    computers are becoming so cheap!!!

Not really, its just the pc he is selling is pretty craptastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'm thinking about selling my pc and buying a laptop and need a bit of advice on the cost. The pc is a 3-year old Dell Dimension - Pentium III, 133mhz, 128mb ram, CD-DVD, Windows ME. It's in excellent condition cos it's hardly used so I'm wondering how much I should sell it for?

I'm looking to replace it with a laptop - nothing fancy - similar spec to the pc but am looking for XP. Any suggestions on what I should go for - and of how much I'd be likely to be paying?

(Hope this is the right place to be asking btw :) ).

Thanks,
    Burd.

You might get €300 for it in buy and sell. Don't expect anything near what you paid for it, it is three years old after all.

As for buying a laptop? Just go to Dell and get a bottom of the range jobbie, it'll do you fine as long as you're not into your gaming.

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    You might get €300 for it in buy and sell. Don't expect anything near what you paid for it, it is three years old after all.

As for buying a laptop? Just go to Dell and get a bottom of the range jobbie, it'll do you fine as long as you're not into your gaming.

I didn't realise they were going for so little these days - but it is a very basic spec I suppose. I'm in no rush anyway so I may try and sell it privately at some stage - on the intranet at work maybe. I've seen the Dell laptops and I'd be looking at a grand for the most basic model. Im not into gaming or owt so that would suffice.
    Sure thanks for the advice anyway.:)

Advertisement