Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrier Lines

Options
  • 05-02-2004 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Sorry for draging this up again, but the posts I searched were six months or so old....

I set up my friends pc this evening only to find a connection speed of 18.2kpbs, never any higher, using any of the unrestricted diall up service providers.

I think his line has been split,as it was moved from the original location to his new house, two doors down, a few years back.

He is getting an engineer out, and I have told him to report noise on the line and difficulty using his fax machine etc etc and to only mention his crap internet speed in passing as they do not want to know. (He uses a fax on the line for his buisness)

Could someone clarify the position regarding moving to another telephone provider, and will Eircom have to restore the original state of the line? Im pretty sure it has been split. He is also one of the last houses on the line, at 4.5 miles away from the exchange-even with an intact line would he get 40- 45 ? at that distance?

The exchange was recently upgraded to seven digit numbers from five, would this make extra lines available, hence reducing the need to split?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by mickeyboymel
    I think his line has been split,as it was moved from the original location to his new house, two doors down, a few years back.
    Good call.
    He is getting an engineer out, and I have told him to report noise on the line and difficulty using his fax machine etc etc and to only mention his crap internet speed in passing as they do not want to know. (He uses a fax on the line for his buisness)
    Spot on, don;t mention the net at all actually, complain about the fax going grainy etc and that awful crackling , especially if it has been drizzling a few days.
    Could someone clarify the position regarding moving to another telephone provider, and will Eircom have to restore the original state of the line? Im pretty sure it has been split. He is also one of the last houses on the line, at 4.5 miles away from the exchange-even with an intact line would he get 40- 45 ? at that distance?
    Intact he should get 28-30k I'd wager , 36-40k if there were very few joins on the line. There is a risk they'll give him a meaner MF of a pairgain though. Moving is not an option unless they unbundle his line which may happen if he is a big customer and the other carrier has fibre at his exchange. Unbundling is normally done for ADSL by ESAT but not at 4.5Miles. I take it he is in rural Connacht/Ulster so unbundlings a no no I should think.
    The exchange was recently upgraded to seven digit numbers from five, would this make extra lines available, hence reducing the need to split?
    No. His problem is a copper shortage in his very local area and not a numbering issue.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Thanks for the info Muck,

He is connected to the Athboy exchange in Co. Meath although his postal address is in Co. Westmeath

My mistake, he is 4.5km from the exchange, not miles-sorry

The engineer was out this morning, and as a result the speed is now back down to a consistent 16.8 from average of 22kpbs.However his computer has not been updated in two years and has the blaster worm and a whole load of security issues.

I bundled it up and took it down to my house(further into Westmeath) where I am only 2km from another exchange and getting 46.6 and am in the process of cleaning and updating his computer

Once done, will take it back, check connnections then tackle Eircom, once I know its not his pc

Could they have throttled his line solely for fax seeing as he did not mention internet acess at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Muck, isn't pairgaining illegal?

Write a letter to you ombudsman bitching about Eircom holding back internet-related yadda yadda in ireland and that this is unacceptable behaviour in the 21st century etc.

Failing that, bitch about voice quality and how it affects your working from home and that ISDN is not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Muck, isn't pairgaining illegal?

Failing that, bitch about voice quality and how it affects your working from home and that ISDN is not an option.

Yes. This one will come up regularly.

New pairgains are illegal for about 2 years now....save in extremis .

There are other issues in rural areas which require local knowledge. The biggest ones are the lack of house numbers and the general lack of engineers in rural areas.

Say there is a 20 pair at the end of the boreen. There are 15 houses on the boreen . 12 have one lines and 3 have 2 lines. Total = 18. That means there are 2 spare pairs Somewhere on that boreen so it should not be necessary to pairgain yours. .

Muck orders another line. The engineer comes out. The engineer is under pressure to install line within 48 hours and is alone. He goes pairhunting. The 2 spare pairs are wired to 2 houses who used to have a second line but ceased it. Engineer runs out of time pair chasing and sez feck it, pairgain the dude meet that Comreg target.

Engineer slaps in pairgain, 2 lines (minimum) are screwed up but engineer makes his target. If you live on a boreen with a load of new (post 1990) houses then you may take it that you are at high risk of a pairgain. In that case I would recommend that if the engineer runs out of time you contact the engineer and tell him you are NOT in a rush. You sign off the job anyway , he comes back later when he DOES have time and eventually finds the spare pairs and then you don't get a pairgain. Alternatively you find out what the neighbours internet lines and voice lines are by going door to door and agree that the voice lines can be pairgained but not the internet lines. Then you help by ringing the voicelines when he is up the poles pair chasing and he can identify them from the pulses and pairgain them safely.

The number of pairs on your boreen can be identified by markings on a box such as D-33-82 . That means 50 pairs AT THAT POINT starting with 34 and ending with 82 . Then scan the wires to the houses visually , each black overhead can normally carry 2 pairs from the road in and reduce your 50 as you go along by 1 or 2 per drop.

Local knowledge and helping the engineers along makes a huge difference on the ground on the day the line is installed and that is the simplest way to avoid getting pairgained. It is a bitch getting rid of a pairgain once it is installed. In practise it is easier to avoid getting one in in the first place.

In Extremis the engineer may have distance and insulation issues . A pairgain can improve matters if the end houses are over 4 miles from the exchanges, way off down near the lake is an example in your case Syxpax or way beyond Loughwell.

M

Advertisement